Score Finales

stuttersteps

recently, ive come to thoroughly enjoy the music the maestro writes at the end of a film (not the typical 'end credits' amalgamation of themes), from hereforth known as the pre-end-credits-track..

in fact, in his more recent scores (since the 90s) the notable track has been the pre-end-credits-track. a few examples:

- Harry Potter: Leaving Hogwarts

- Sleepers: Reunion and Finale

- Far and Away: Joseph and Shannon

it may be cuz the theme(s) come to a rousing rendition of a conclusion. i was just wondering what others' thoughts were..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The finale in AOTC is also great. As is the Reunion in A.I..and a New Beginning in Minority Report...and Regaining a Son from Seven Years in Tibet...and Going Home in Amistad.

Your'e absolutely right!!! Williams is great with the pre-end credits music.

i think the finale to Close Encounters is the best. it is an elegant, enobling piece of music that i unmatched in my opinion when it comes to finales. no score in history has better tied itself together and made itself such a part of the film, with the possible exception of E.T., but i think the edge goes to Close Encounters because it's more complex i think.

Ted

The C.O.S. finale is a bit like the triumphant Far and Away and The Patriot finales,except even more majestic and loud :nono: .Can't wait to hear it on c.d.

K.M.

King Mark beat me to it, but I was just going to mention the pre-end credit music for The Patriot: "Yorktown and the Return Home". While it's not my favourite track on the score (I have so many) it does have a majesty and a grandeur all its own and is a very fitting conclusion to the film. I think the reason why William's pre-end credit music is particularly great is because he's been given such excellent cinematic material to work with (see particularly the aforementioned Close Encounters and E.T.). Combine rousing finales like those with Williams' natural talent and the results more than speak for themselves.

CYPHER

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!!!!

Best finale and end credits ever!!

It does have a dramatic quality that is almost unique.

i think the finale to Close Encounters is the best. it is an elegant, enobling piece of music that i unmatched in my opinion when it comes to finales. no score in history has better tied itself together and made itself such a part of the film, with the possible exception of E.T., but i think the edge goes to Close Encounters because it's more complex i think.  

Ted

Close Enocunters along with ET are probably my favorites. CE3K makes me remeber of Stravinsky's Lulaby and Final Hymn from the Firebird.

Just to be different, i also like the ending to HOME ALONE cd..This one :

"We wish you a merry christmas....We wish you a merry christmas....We WISH you a merry christmas...and a happpyyyyyy................nnneww yeeeearrrrrrr.. - (then enters into the screechy and adrenaline pumping plane catching music). Gives me goosebumps that transition... I also think the Piano Over the moon piece at the end of E.T is goosebumpy after being hammered by the sheer incredible emotional power of adventures on earth while listening to the CD and watching the film. That sudden blackness cut after the closeup of Elliots face is a real goosebumper and that piano levels your heart out again. I get shivers even thinking about that bit. Many times when i've gone into my famous psychotic russian conductor imitation when listening to Adventures (arms flying everywhere in pseudo conducting, sweat on my brow and fists punching air to emphasize powerful bits etc etc :flamebob: ) that sudden transition into Piano leaves me feeling wierd. Also i think that transition from the Warehouse music to the march at the end of Raiders of the lost ark is pretty amazing too. :nono:

In addition to the above mentioned I love the full and rich textures of Farewell Neverland in Hook... which might be considered the precursor to the Harry Potter Finales'

The Patriot: "Yorktown and the Return Home". While it's not my favourite track on the score (I have so many) it does have a majesty and a grandeur all its own and is a very fitting conclusion to the film.

Might as well add that I agree with that but the main Patriot theme blasting off during the final battle scene when there's blood and severed limbs all over the screen is not,imo.

k.M.

Melange and DU Lou, I thought the same about the finales of Home Alone and Hook. The end of Home Alone, with "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" segueing into "Holiday Flight" never fails to bring a smile to her face. It's so fun!

Ray Barnsbury

Hook is around the top of my list too. the last minute of the score to Hook reduces me to such a feel-good, childish state. i'm not ashmed of it all, i'm just saying that's what it does for me. i can be depressed and put that on and it'll make me feel better. :sigh:

Ted

In addition to the above mentioned I love the full and rich textures of Farewell Neverland in Hook... which might be considered the precursor to the Harry Potter Finales'

Beautifully put, yes this also is my favourite cue. Leaves a lump in my throat every time, that soaring theme by Cello & French Horn unified! Can't beat it!

Other favourites are; ET, Jaws 2 (another gorgeous melody for Cello & Horn), Far & Away, Sleepers, Always, Star Wars and most definitely CE3K :sigh:

Hook is around the top of my list too. the last minute of the score to Hook reduces me to such a feel-good, childish state.  

Ted

Hey,that's Horner's trademark style of composing,whether a scene requires it or not.

This isn't a John Williams score but Stargate has one of the greatest finales I've heard by an "outsider." :sigh:

True,and that finale reminds me of Goldsmith's finale to Star Trek,The Motion Picture,which is also great.

Justin -Listening to Stargate!

K.M.who think that Stargate is the only noteworthy score he's hear from David Arnold.

He! What a coincidence Goldsmith's son Joel is the composer of many SG-1 serie episodes.

K.M.who thinks that Stargate is the only noteworthy score he's hear from David Arnold.

(at last) I agree with you, King Mark.

So far, I'm glad no one mentioned the Breaking of the Fellowship, which is, for me, one of the most overrated tracks ever.

I would remember or noticed at least something from this overrated score if it had so many outstanding musical moments.

K.M.

This isn't a John Williams score but Stargate has one of the greatest finales I've heard by an "outsider." :)

Justin -Listening to Stargate!

Oh man. You've reminded me now. I cant believe i forgot to include that movie beginning scene and music in my "favourite beginings" thread. So powerful on a big stero that track and the egypt 1923 (or whatever date it was) track. The whole machinery cranking up kind of sound really gets me going and feels like i'm lifting the house with my arms. Excellent track. I like the soundtrack , but the first 2 tracks and some near the end are my favourites. The others are so so. Film was ridicolous mind you :sigh:. When you walked around the pyramids of Egypt the egyptian tour guides leading groups can be overheard heard saying with a stifled smile "oh, and of course the americans believe that the pyramids were bult by people from outerspace". Which causes a ripple of giggles amongst the tourists.

That film could of been a lot better.

I love the finale of Batman.

Yes! With that triumphant and determined version of the main theme. I love it too!

Ray Barnsbury

I just listened to the Batman Finale and I thought it was great.... Elfman did a perfect job IMO of crossing heroism with a bit of comic book camp and then at the last 2 bars or so goes right back to the slightly sinister more mature Batman motiff.