Soundtrack Collection DIGITIZE!

what do you do when your soundtrack collection exceeds your capacity to listen to it completely?

Well I can't say I never have anything to listen to. :)

I only have a 250GB external drive and it's almost full. Right now to make room I'm just buying 16GB flash thumb drives to put the files I don't have to access often ,like my JW c.d. WAV rips. I doubt I'll ever reach 250 GB's of MP3's and I don't really keep a lot of videos

I might buy a super compact drive to make another backup , one I could easily grab on the way out in case of a catastrophe such as a fire.

I only have a 250GB external drive and it's almost full. Right now to make room I'm just buying 16GB flash thumb drives to put the files I don't have to access often ,like my JW c.d. WAV rips. I doubt I'll ever reach 250 GB's of MP3's and I don't really keep a lot of videos

I might buy a super compact drive to make another backup , one I could easily grab on the way out in case of a catastrophe such as a fire.

Get a terabyte drive, you won't have to worry about running out of room any time soon. As soon as I can I need to get a terabyte drive myself...I'm running out of room on my hard drive (both C and D).

Also, there are really affordable 500 gig 2.5" USB drives these days. I have to get one, I'm moving more and more stuff from my 350 gig one to the internal drive to make space for new rips.

I'm proud of myself - I just bought two 320GB external hard drives from newegg, one for storage and one for backup. My poor little 200GB hard drive is really tired of me putting stuff on it.

Yeah, hard drives can be bought cheaply these days. I have a 1TB drive that I put in an enclosure (with the idea that it fill fit inside my next computer) and I have about 2/3 still free after several months' use. It'll last for absolutely ages.

It seems amazing that an entire music collection can be fit on a drive small enough to fit in a pocket - sure beats having to carry around wallets full of CDs.

I still back up my acquired MP3's on cdr though for "permanent" protection . I make folders and when I reach 700MB I burn it and start a new one.

Used to burn onto DVDs, but when I realised it would breach 10 discs, I gave up.

I consider a good backup strategy now to be just keeping multiple copies, and my restore plan for both my computer configuration and my music have been put into action at some point.

In fact, the only time I thought I'd lost everything was when I was in a transition between my old desktop and laptop, and gave my brother my internal 80GB drive so I could still access it through his machine. I then mapped the wrong drive when he wasn't home, and absolutely panicked when it appeared to be down, and spent several hours salvaging what I could from DVDs. My relief when he came home and pointed out my error... lol.

16gb thumb drives?

700MB CDR backups?

mark, get with the times! It's 2009 not 1999!

For the money you are spending on thumb drives and cdrs, you could get yourself a nice external 500GB drive and fit everything on it. Hell get two, so if one breaks you have another one

Actually, 16GB thumb drives are about as 2009 as it gets, I think that's pretty big even by today's standards.

It's worth aiming a bit higher although contrary to what I said earlier, hard drive prices seem to have gone up a bit. My newest 250GB external was about £55, but the same product is now £80 from the same place. I wonder if that's just the recession talking.

16gb thumb drives?

Yes.... like I said I don't need a terabyte for the "really" important stuff (music). I figure I need about 10 of those 16GB thumb drives to back up ALL my music (all my Williams c.d. WAV rips + all MP3's I have )

I would consider this the best permanent backup solution after cdr's because flash drives very rarely fail . I don't trust hard drives for permananent back up. Plus backing up on many means that if one fails you don't lose everything . And 10 thumb drives fits in a very small box...

I bought my first one for 25$ on sale ,a 16 GB Kingston Datatraveller. Once I spot them for under 20$ I will buy a bunch of them

All my Williams CDs in FLAC format have 27GB, in WAV it would be about twice as much. From what I know, your Williams collection is more complete than mine - how can you fit it on a 16GB drive?

I can't , I only fit A to H on the first drive. My Williams collection in WAV is about 70GB .And yes I want WAV because it is the EXACT duplicate of the c.d.

For non-Williams 224-320k MP3 is good enough.

I can't , I only fit A to H on the first drive. My Williams collection in WAV is about 70GB.

Ah. I misunderstood you there.

And yes I want WAV because it is the EXACT duplicate of the c.d.

So is FLAC.

For non-Williams 224-320k MP3 is good enough.

No. :)

No mp3 should really be acceptable unless if it's absolutely necessary. FLAC is just the same as WAV but it takes up less space than an actual WAV file. FLAC is still a lossless file. All my CD's I've got are automatically ripped as WAV then encoded to FLAC.

128kbit MP3s sound absolutely horrible on any system (except perhaps a portable player when you're among traffic noise).

Who cares, when you have Apple Lossless?

I do. :) As does everyone creating an encoder, for example.

128k mp3s sound fine on my computer Marian, even when it's dead silent in the middle of the night.

My system is pretty low-end soundwise, but it's not true to say that 128k always sounds bad. It depends how you listen, and of course if I'm ripping a CD, it's 320k, and if I buy digitally then 192k minimum.

To continue my little flash memory project,I purchased a second thumb drive, a 32gb one this time (65$).

A long time ago I thought it would be nice to have a carbon copy of all my JW c.d.'s on tiny memory chips ,this was a special project that has nothing to do with backing up all my computer data . I wait for technology to become good enough ...now 16/32 GB chips are good enough for this project.

I also have an irrational dislike of hard drives.

I expect that in about 10 years we can have flash drives small enough, but with enough space that your entire collection can be stored in a device the size of an Micro SC card, and then that device can be implanted in the human brain

Who cares, when you have Apple Lossless?

Neil

Is that really good sound quality? Do you have to import CD's in that format, or can I just take the ones I have imported as mp3 and convert them to lossless? I want to test if I can hear the difference.

There is no point what so ever in converting an MP3 to Apple Lossless

Steef's correct. If you want a lossless library (in whatever lossless format you choose) you have to start by ripping your CDs all over again. It's a big task, but in the end you can have your entire collection organized the way you want it in perfect quality.

Neil

There is no point what so ever in converting an MP3 to Apple Lossless

Steef's correct. If you want a lossless library (in whatever lossless format you choose) you have to start by ripping your CDs all over again. It's a big task, but in the end you can have your entire collection organized the way you want it in perfect quality.

Neil

Oy, I'm never doing that again. I'll stick to mp3 now and forever.

Wuss. I encoded 400 CDs in about two weeks on a recent trip back to New Jersey.

Neil

Yeah well I already imported about 500 CD's last summer. I'm still in the process of organizing all my music onto my new Macbook. I'm not doing that again, especially since I'm so close to finally finishing. Only have to go through the Morricone, Zimmer, JW, and MV folders.

MP3 in 160k is too low (if you trade something in 160 you might get a negative comment ,you can definitely hear the compression on good gear) .192k just barely cuts it ,kind of the baseline for MP3 (personally I can't hear compression on 192 but I prefer a little higher bitrate for psychological comfort) . 224 and above your ok.

Finally I don't believe anyone who claims to hear the difference between 320k MP3 and a c.d.

At that kind of bitrate you can't. In my view, it's only once you get down to 96k that you're going to into compression artifacts territory.

On an MP3 player you might not be able to tell the difference, but play them on a decent stereo system