Appearing to Enjoy Classical Music

Richard Penna

As a break from Williams vs everyone else debates around here, take a look at this:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/09/01...lassical-music/

Particularly found the box at the end interesting:

Note: Under no circumstances should you ever list John Williams or Danny Elfman as your favorite composer.

It's a weird topic I think. I enjoy a lot of really modern scores, but then lots of Horner and Williams (to name only a few) scores are what I would consider classical music. What do those who like classical music say they get out of it that we don't from film scores I wonder? And what makes a piece 'classical'?

The above quote seems a bit like under no circumstances list Hans Zimmer or <insert Zimmer clone> as your favourite composer.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I think that article is absolutely stupid.

Anyways, I do not consider any contemporary music to be "Classical" music, because to say that would imply that the work in question has survived a long amount of time, and is still heralded as "good" by today's standards.

However, I never understood the notion ( one I believe you disagree with, as well, Rich) that a "contemporary composer" can never measure up to a "Classical composer". I do not understand why time periods should influence my appreciation of a certain type of music. I like John Williams more than many Classical composers. I am not familiar enough with Beethoven's works to say who I like more, but I would not be surprised if I said "John Williams".

Agree or disagree with this post as you will.

I believe the article in question was written in humor. Even though it's not that funny let us not become as humor challanged as FSM has become.

Well yes, I think so too (well, half tongue-in-cheek anyway), that's why I mentioned the Zimmer bit at the end of my post. It's just about notions and stereotypes within a genre I think, and those who take it all a bit too seriously and pompously.

I don't see how race would come into it at all. Not sure what factor would actually.

It's something I love about us - walk down the street, and there's no way to know if the person walking in front of you would rather listen to Mozart or Madonna.

I just posted this as I thought it would provoke some sort of discussion... no idea what direction lol.

I think the "racist" bit was meant to be humorous, as Mark suggested.

I'm not sure about the classical music > film music bit, but I'm not so sure that was intended to be a joke.

I think the "racist" bit was meant to be humorous, as Mark suggested.

yeah i suppose it's a joke i did not get.

Actually, it's just not that funny. As I said, it was meant to be humorous. :lol:

Oh ok...as a "non-white" person, I guess I had better revise my "like" of classical music after reading that blog, as it seems only people encumbered with "white guilt" can appreciate classical music and the other fine things in life.

:(

I'm only done the first paragraph and I can already say this: Bullcrap. I'll comment again once I'm done reading, but I'm pretty sure my first impression won't change.

I understand what the article is satirising though. I met many people in when Boston, having conversations after concerts about composers I "should" know but don't pay attention to like Faure. I have to admit my knowledge of classical pieces is somewhat limited to composers and pieces that are ancestors of film music like Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Wagner, Hanson etc. But it is true, when I did reveal my love of film music composers in those classical music scenes I was looked at like I started talking about Tom Petty being the best composer. There's a certain segment of society that really holds "classical" music up like it is some kind of elite delicacy. I just like what I like.