Are all JW fans in agreement that Hans Zimmer DOES write a good melody?

Quintus

But do you seriously deny the resemblence between "Seeing is Believing" and "Davy Jones?" It may well be a Morricone reference, I wouldn't know, but the fact is it sounds VERY similiar to the Silvestri's cue. Heck, I could plunk out the notes on a piano right now and (after adjusting the key) they would be almost exactly the same.

Yes, considering "Davy Jones" uses the music box and organs as heard in the film, and that "Seeing Is Believing" has none of that. Well, I wouldn't know. Does The Polar Express have a scene with a music box and organs?

I'm talking about melody wise, not instrumentation. After all, this is a thread about melody.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly. I don't think the music box jingle is close to the instrument used in Polar Express. Once it moves into strangely heavy material, then it sounds awkward. But then half way through it goes into traditional Christmas music.

Slightly. I don't think the music box jingle is close to the instrument used in Polar Express.

Yes, but I'm not talking about instrumentation.

But then half way through it goes into traditional Christmas music.

Yeah, I didn't mean that part.

"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments."

It's rhetorical nonsense.

So nobody writes good melodies and nobody writes melodies. People write melodies that are liked or disliked in their present days, but their goodness or badness can only be objectively determined once everyone who ever knew the person has died and history can gauge them for what they were.

I'm not sure I like that argument, but suit yourself.

It doesn't me Zimmer does not write good melodies. But, that's something for historians to decide.

Sooo...historians determine who writes good melodies? Right then...have fun with this discussion... :)

No, again, you're going back to the first part of the statement "Everyone likes it, therefore it's good". Socrates would have argued thats not true.

It doesn't me Zimmer does not write good melodies. But, that's something for historians to decide.

Sooo...historians determine who writes good melodies? Right then...have fun with this discussion... :)

No, again, you're going back to the first part of the statement "Everyone likes it, therefore it's good". Socrates would have argued thats not true.

:huh:

1. All I did was rephrase what you said. Check the quote again.

2. I don't care what Socrates thought. He wasn't infallible any more than I am. How about you present your own thoughts instead of his?

3. As I've said many times in this thread, there is no such thing as melody that can be objectively, conclusively defined as "good." Every human being on the freaking PLANET could enjoy it, and it still wouldn't be "good." It would simply have very unusually wide appeal.

:huh:

1. All I did was rephrase what you said. Check the quote again.

2. I don't care what Socrates thought. He wasn't infallible any more than I am. How about you present your own thoughts instead of his?

3. As I've said many times in this thread, there is no such thing as melody that can be objectively, conclusively defined as "good." Every human being on the freaking PLANET could enjoy it, and it still wouldn't be "good." It would simply have very unusually wide appeal.

You're still arguing that for a melody to be good, everyone likes it, which is simply not true. Melodies are inherently good or bad. It is because of their inherent state that people like them.

You're still arguing that for a melody to be good, everyone likes it, which is simply not true.

I'm...not. :) I am truly perplexed as to where you're reading these words. But in case there's still some confusion, let me be clear:

BEING WELL-LOVED DOES NOT MAKE A MELODY GOOD.

Hopefully that's sufficiently clear, because I really have no way of restating that more lucidly. :huh:

Melodies are inherently good or bad. It is because of their inherent state that people like them.

No, they are not. They have complex combinations of objective attributes (i.e. not subjective, moralistic ones like "good" or "bad") that make them very appealing to some people, not at all appealing to other people, and somewhere in between to still others. A given person will like a given melody because of the types of music they were exposed to at a young age, because of the amount of musical knowledge they have about one or more musical traditions, and (to a certain extent, presumably) because of genetic factors beyond his or her control.

So you're saying that melodies are good only because people like them, right? Just so you know, Socrates would not be pleased.

Honestly, this is a great debate. The whole reason I started us on this tangent was because I believe the whole concept of this thread is flawed. This was all going down the road of "Well, I like Hans Zimmer and I think he does write good melodies" or "I don't like Hans Zimmer and I think he's melodies suck" - which means nothing is going to be solved. There's no objectivity. That's why I started this I guess, to inject some objectivity into the thread.

So, in any case. Nice debate. Bravo!

I still think he writes a mean melody, from time to time.

If lots of people like a melody, then it is a good melody. Of course it is. I couldn't give flying f**k how simple or complex it is.

I'm...not. :) I am truly perplexed as to where you're reading these words. But in case there's still some confusion, let me be clear:

Hopefully that's sufficiently clear, because I really have no way of restating that more lucidly. :)

Yes I believe I mentioned something similar a few posts before.

If lots of people like a melody, then it is a good melody. Of course it is.

Lots of people like facism too. Doesn't make it good.

... Please, this is just a case of "I'm right, you're wrong." What makes you think you possess above all others the insight to know which melodies are good and which are bad? Are you the smartest person on Earth? Are you God?

:D

If lots of people like a melody, then it is a good melody. Of course it is.

Lots of people like facism too. Doesn't make it good.

... Please, this is just a case of "I'm right, you're wrong." What makes you think you possess above all others the insight to know which melodies are good and which are bad? Are you the smartest person on Earth? Are you God?

:D

It's not a case of "I'm right, you're wrong" at all. I'm just pointing out the Euphryo Dilemma that "good" vs. "bad" is intrinsic and that just because everyone likes something - anything - it doesn't make it good.

It's not a case of "I'm right, you're wrong" at all. I'm just pointing out the Euphryo Dilemma that "good" vs. "bad" is intrinsic and that just because everyone likes something - anything - it doesn't make it good.

How can the essential goodness or badness of a musical melody be quantified?

How can the essential goodness or badness of a musical melody be quantified?

Good question. So, there's the next question of the debate. If there is essential goodness or badness to a melody, how is that quantified? Since you posed it, what do you think, Henry?

Good and bad are just words used by people to express their own personal opinions. Just because someone says something is good or bad, doesn't make it true. The amount of people that say is irrelevant.

The problem comes in when you have a discussion that goes something like this:

"Such-and-such is a good score."

"No, you're wrong. Such-and-such is not a good score."

Happens all the time here, and it suggests that there is an intrinsic, objective level of goodness in a piece of music, when there quite simply is NOT.

Good and bad are just words used by people to express their own personal opinions. Just because someone says something is good or bad, doesn't make it true. The amount of people that say is irrelevant.

Happens all the time here, and it suggests that there is an intrinsic, objective level of goodness in a piece of music, when there quite simply is NOT.

Ah, but there is! Now, again, I know the answer, but I want to see if anyone here comes up with it.

The statement "there is no objective level of goodness in a piece of music" is a copout.

Ah, but there is! Now, again, I know the answer, but I want to see if anyone here comes up with it.

Your condescension is infuriating, especially when you're positing such a ridiculous idea. I'm done with this discussion.

The statement "there is no objective level of goodness in a piece of music" is a copout.

It's just about taste people...

Person 'A' thinks Last Crusade is a great score, person 'J' doesn't for whatever reason. Long argument ensues involving plenty of swearing. Point is someone finds something in the music that they enjoy, and the other doesn't. That's life.

It wouldn't be a problem here if it wasn't for the attitudes of those who feel strongly in one direction, ending in either direct insults, or wording posts that suggest their opinion is shared by everyone else.

Your condescension is infuriating, especially when you're positing such a ridiculous idea. I'm done with this discussion.

I'm sorry if you found that condescending; it wasn't meant to be. But, there is such a thing as "good" and "bad" in melody. If that was not the case, every piece of music ever written would be a hit and we all know that is not the case. To say that there is no such thing as a "good" melody or a "bad" melody is a very PC cop out.

The only idea I'm injected into this discussion is that if a melody is good, it will be liked. A melody being liked, does not make it good. Which is why no one here agrees that Hans Zimmer writes a good melody.

The only idea I'm injected into this discussion is that if a melody is good, it will be liked. A melody being liked, does not make it good. Which is why no one here agrees that Hans Zimmer writes a good melody.

I agree that he writes a good melody. What philosophical twist of words are you gonna come up with that proves my own opinion wrong?

I agree that he writes a good melody. What philosophical twist of words are you gonna come up with that proves my own opinion wrong?

None, because you're right. He does write good melodies. I'm by no means a Zimmer fan, but he does write good melodies.

I warn you, though, some Tracks are remarkably short ("Dog Poo" being the shortest), and the Saxophone takes a few listens to get used to. I see you like "New Hope".

EDIT:

None, because you're right. He does write good melodies. I'm by no means a Zimmer fan, but he does write good melodies.

Wait, so now he is correct because you agree with him? I do not understand, not after this huge "objectivity versus subjectivity" debate.

It's all personal opinion. Your theory contradicts itself. "If a melody is good, it will be liked." Therefore if it is liked, it has to be good.

No, it's not a contradiction at all. The condition of the melody being good will cause it to be liked. Read what you wrote, Koray. In your reversal of my statement, the predetermined condition of the melody never changes. What I'm injecting into this discussion is that something is not good just BECAUSE it is liked.

Umm, so what the hell was the 'injection' in your last post going on about?

Nick - yeah, I've noticed the short tracks, and it means I long for more developed versions of some ideas, which is why I play them over again.

I just have to get myself in the right frame of mind to enjoy something like a sax.

Wait, so now he is correct because you agree with him? I do not understand, not after this huge "objectivity versus subjectivity" debate.

No, not at all. You completely missed the mark on that one.

It's all personal opinion. Your theory contradicts itself. "If a melody is good, it will be liked." Therefore if it is liked, it has to be good.

No, it's not a contradiction at all. The condition of the melody being good will cause it to be liked. Read what you wrote, Koray. In your reversal of my statement, the predetermined condition of the melody never changes. What I'm injecting into this discussion is that something is not good just BECAUSE it is liked.

Whatever you're trying to say it doesn't matter. There is no hard fact that can prove if any piece of music is either good or bad. "Liking" something is just an expression of personal taste. Nothing else factors into it, each person has their likes and dislikes.