"Duel of the Fates" or "Battle of the Heroes"?

Muad'Dib

Hi, everybody!

First of all, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but the forum is too big to search for it. Sorry if it has.

Here it goes...

We all know that "Battle of the Heroes" is a dramatic version of "Duel of the Fates", but which do you like more?

Personally, I can't decide yet... Both are too great. I'll think about it and vote later.

But how about you?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no, BOTH isn't a dramatic version of DOTF. It's a completely different theme, and both are plenty dramatic. I happen to like both, and deciding between them is really tough, but DOTF has a much better concert structure than BOTH, and there are more melodies that are developed in more interesting ways. Still...I really like BOTH.

I agree that it's strongest in the early passages of its use in the film as the cue "Revenge of the Sith." It gets a bit weaker through the rest of the duel, but I still definitely like it. I just wish he'd done an honest-to-goodness concert arrangement, instead of just taking that cue from the film and putting bookends of new material around it. I mean, I know DOTF uses a lot of stuff adapted from the film, but it has a much more pronounced structure to it - and it never drifts into chaotic action music or statements of other themes, both of which BOTH is guilty of.

I prefer DotF.

In the Battle of the Heroes "concert version" we can see the same trend that has been in Williams' latest scores where he actually plans to include a piece of the underscore into the concert arrangement with bookending material in the beginning or the end. Best example is Window to the Past from POA which contains a passage from the underscore in the middle and a longer concert style development at the beginning. In KotCS Irina's theme is almost the same in the scene of her initial appearance as the beginning of the concert suite.

I think Williams has become quite economic when it comes to recording sessions as he plans these things so that they can be included on the album but also serve the film. And as we know he has written a real concert version of the Window to the Past and Irina's theme so also time constraints while composing might have been a reason he did not have such things ready for the album.

I think we have had many polls many times over in these past years :) And they never get old.

That wouldn't be possible, considering there would only be two options in the poll... Duel Of the Fates and Battle Of the Heroes.

He'd make it possible. His chins have powers. Erie powers.

Michael,

Searching is actually easier than you think.

Click "Search", and then "More Options". Then check off "Search Titles Only", and then type "Fates" into the "keyword" box. Click "Perform the Search" and voila, your result will bring you this thread:

Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes

Repeat the above except type "DOTF" into the search box this time, and you will find this thread:

DotF or BotH?