The JWFan.net Movie Club

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked to see if anyone was there but it was deserted, and so I thought nothing more of it. This Board has not been what I consider entirely active, though, as of late, so it did not surprise me. It would be pretty nice to have another Chat, though.

And Uni vanished.

He didn't vanish . . . he just got a job. One that has him working Friday nights. I hate missing out, but. . . .

For what it's worth: The Iron Giant was a phenomenal picture, one of the finest animated features I've ever seen.

- Scott

• 4 months later...

Very, very, very looooooooooooooooooong review ahead, you've been warned.

[...]

Diego thanks for this, it was a good read and I echo most of your sentiments.

There is, however, a great legacy to Episode I, this very forum, so think about that next time you trash it.

Ah yes, who can forget "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Music"

Good review, Diego.

You're right on the money with Lucas painting himself into a corner. In my opinion, Episode I should have kicked off the Clone Wars and dealt with Anakin and Obi-Wan when they were younger (basically the lead-up to what Obi-Wan tells Luke in the original). Or at least not have the Clone Wars happen between Episode II and III. What the hell is up with that? I really suspect somebody at Lucasfilm smelled a spin-off opportunity.

All that aside though, I do think it's a bold move to say, "you know those big epic Star Wars? They didn't start with an epic battle. It was a simple trade dispute that escalated into something far bigger."

Unfortunately, trade disputes are rather boring and the whole thing ends up very vague in the film as well. Lucas had some interesting things going on in the prequels with different parties scheming and plotting until they eventually ended up with a war. Alas, all of it became muddled and unclear and the execution left a lot to be desired.

I do like the look of Episode I quite a bit and the lightsaber duel kicks ass. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul is hands down the best saber fight of all six films (although not as dramatically significant as the OT duels). There's some good stuff to be found in this film, but there's also a lot of pointless bits that ultimately are either poorly executed or just go nowhere.

Also excellent points!

It is a good review, and hits home on many of the same memories and perspectives that I had of the movie, because from a fellow child of '81, it was also my first Star Wars event.

A big problem with Ep I is that it took 2+ hours to accomplish what could've taken twenty minutes. "Anakin, meet Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan, meet Anakin." That's it. That's all you needed. Now give us the rest of the story. No. I left the movie theater wondering how they would shoehorn the rest of the story into the remaining ~5 five hours of Episodes II and III. They didn't. Oh, ok. Just leave out the Clone Wars. Wonderful planning, Unca George.

And these as well