The JWFan.net Movie Club

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I enjoyed the general chat more than the discussion (not that there was a lot of it). I had to duck out because my kid was having trouble sleeping.

Episode I... hmm, could be interesting, but I don't think I'd watch it again, not that I'd need to.

It's been suggested we need some more polarizing films for this.

So...

Star Wars: Episode I this week then?

I'd go for that. It's been a while... I remember it well...

It was my first new Star Wars movie. I was 12 that summer and I absolutely loved it -- saw it 5 times in theaters.

Although, I can remember being disappointed even at that time that the space battle at the end wasn't as good as the Battle of Yavin. :lol:

I remember not liking it very much at the time. It didn't generate much emotion, even for a 14-year old.

AOTC felt better at first, but soon deteriorated.

ROTS, however, felt a lot better. But still not good.

Karol

Alright then.

This week's movie:

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (George Lucas, 1999)

If you write a review, please also include the following:

- how does it hold up 10 years after its initial release?

- has your opinion of it changed much since first viewing it?

- now that the six-movie Star Wars saga is complete, how does the movie fit into the whole?

I'd be interested in reading some answers to those questions.

There'll still be a chat on Friday.

Don't count on much movie discussion though. ;)

Since I watched this a couple weeks ago, I'll post my review now.

The movie is flat-out awful. So bad I can call it one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's Uwe Boll quality. Terrible dialogue, acting, CGI and an anti-climactic final battle. 10 years ago it was still crap, but probably the CGI looked better compared today. My opinion is pretty much the same, except instead of being simply bad I think it's shit. As for the entire saga, I never cared much for it. I haven't seen the other 5 recently, and I don't even want to watch Attack Of The Clones after my experience with The Phantom Menace.

Sigh.

I loved it when I first saw it. Loved it. It took me a couple of years to realise how terrible some of it really is. I have to skip bits now, I can't watch the complete film. In some ways, it's the worst prequel, in some ways it's the best. The score is amazing. In terms of how it fits into the whole saga, it doesn't. For me they're two separate trilogies, there's just too much inconsistency between what we were originally told and what actually happened. And going from a movie like this and its brethren to Episodes IV, V and even VI, is like eating shit and following it up with caviar.

Things that don't work: Jar Jar. I don't hate the character as much as most, even if there are hints of racism in there, as with the Nemoudieans, but he has way too much screentime for someone that really has little actual involvement, past bringing the Gungans and the Naboo together. And the outcast thing is overplayed. The time period - there's little to nothing in this movie that could not be explained in an opening crawl or a ten-minute flashback or some expositionary dialogue. With wasting time on this, the rest of the story - however badly told - was rushed because he painted himself into a corner. The slave thing - Qui-Gon can't free slaves, even from someone as pathetic as Watto? The end space battle: boooring. Flatly orchestrated. The dialogue: mostly terrible, with a couple of exceptions. The fact that the whole film is about meetings. There's none of the actual character-driving that the original trilogy managed, and as such, it falls flat. Several of the performances. The fact that Obi-Wan is given relatively nothing to do. The concept of the Jedi Council is ridiculous. The planet core scene is just an excuse for monsters.

Things that work: The score. Qui-Gon, and Liam Neeson's performance. Some of the Tatooine scenes. The "Anakin leaves" scene. Watto. Potential Jewish stereotype aside, he's a fun character. The pod race, while overlong on the DVD version, was pretty exciting and well edited in the theatrical version. McDiarmid. The effects. A lot of the work is fantastic, especially the digital characters, some of it just falls down in the design phase. The model of Theed is amazing. I don't understand how we can let dodgy modelwork slip by, but the moment CGI doesn't look 100% photoreal it's suddenly terrible. Frankly, the idea that this movie has terrible CGI is ridiculous hyperbole. The final lightsaber battle, while a little too staged, is excellent and actually manages to create some emotion. Even better is the battle on Tatooine, that's pretty amazing with some great editing and sound work. The design of the vulture droids, especially the walking mode, is pretty cool, as are the Naboo fighters. It does somewhat feel like there is some evolution at work here with the aesthetic.

So yeah. It's not great, but some scenes kick the butt of some of today's blockbusters.

Alright then.

This week's movie:

You're assuming we've actually made it through enough of the movie to have 'seen it'.

I've seen episodes III and IV all the way through, and enjoyed them both (III probably cos I knew it was the last one). Never bothered to watch all of ESB or RotJ, and IMO, TPM and AotC aren't worth the film they're printe.... *ahem*, computer they were rendered on.

Very, very, very looooooooooooooooooong review ahead, you've been warned.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, I grew up with the original trilogy, and I couldn't begin to tell you how much I love Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The prequels are a complicated beast for me, the SW fan in me wants to love them, the rational part of me knows they suck, my opinion of the prequels has always been like a rollercoaster, it has gone from, they're good to they're ok to they suck and I can't keep watching that.

Episode I is particularly hard for me to review. I was born in 1981, so really the first SW movie where I could experience the anticipation was Episode I, so to me there is Episode I the movie and Episode I the event.

First, there was Episode I the event. This was right at the beginning of the internet, or at least it was here on Mexico. The very first mp3 I ever downloaded was Duel of the Fates and first I had to find out what the hell an mp3 was and what program could play it. And there were the spoilers and rumors, I remember reading about Liam Neeson really being Yoda cause the Emperor turns him into a frog and I also read about Midi-Chlorians, one wasn't true, the other sadly was.

There was also the trailer, and man, what a great trailer it was, it had a sense of urgency that the movie never gets. I memorized it on the first day, it was a pain to download on dial-up. I believe at the time it was the most popular event in the history of internet. Now you can stream the tralier for any new movie in seconds.

So, anyway, Episode I the event was a really fun and exciting time for a SW fan, little did we know what was coming.

My first viewing of Episode I was very anti-climatic. Having followed the news, trailers and more on the internet, I, like everybody else, was ready to watch it May 19th. Only one problem, it wasn't going to open here on May 19th, it would open until mid July. So May 19th came and went, with no Episode I for me.

I eventually ended up watching the movie on New York city at the beginning of June as I went there on vacation with my family. There was no line, no full theater and no people dressed like Darth Maul, maybe that affected my first viewing.

From the beginning it didn't feel quite right, and I mean even before Jar Jar. From the moment the Jedi landed on the Federation ship it felt a bit like I was watching some video that was meant to be played while you wait in line at Star Tours. What the hell was wrong with Natalie Portman's voice, why did she sound so bored, so fake? What's the deal with the obvious asian stereotypes??

A lot of the plot doesn't make any sense, I know Lucas calls this the McGuffin and that we shouldn't care about it, but it's hard to ignore when it seems so nonsensical. An elected Queen?? Oh, make that an elected 14 year old queen?? A Trade FEDERATION with a Viceroy and an army and a senator?? A treaty that is never explained but if signed means the end of the Naboo??

So, this is all because of high taxes?? Are they invading because Naboo won't pay its taxes?? Are they invading because Naboo charges taxes that are too high?? Logic would say it's the last one, but it doesn't make much sense, and really George, you're going to start the Star Wars saga with a tax dispute?? Really?? No big Mandalorian-Jedi fight?? No Jedi-Sith Duel?? No huge space battle?? You're going to start with a blockade due to high taxes... all right...

Then Jar Jar arrived, my main problem with him is that he's useless, he's just there because the computers at ILM could make him, which would be all right if he wasn't so annoying. The fart jokes are probably the worst although his clumsiness at the end battle is so over top and annoying. I could have lived with a clumsy alien sidekick but Lucas really pushed it. Only when Qui-Gon grabs his tongue is Jar Jar funny. Boss Nass was even worse, what with the drooling and all.

The Jedi are boring, while their real problems arrived with Episodes II and III when they became monks instead of knights, the problem began here. They're useless, given the gravity or the situation you would think they could have stolen the hyperdrive or something. Like I said, the plot makes no sense. The fact that Anakin is considered to be too old for training is bullshit. In ESB Yoda tells Luke that a Jedi must have the deepest comitment. How can a 9 year old or anyone younger have the deepest comitment?? Do the 2 year olds that, according to the EU, the Jedi kinda abduct, have the deepest comitment??

And that leads us to Anakin, he seems very middle-class to be a slave, so I think the slave plot should have been dropped. Yeah, he has to work which sucks, but I don't think there were very good schools on Tatooine, so what was he to do?? He should have been 15, that would have made the love story, the destruction of the Federation ship and the Pod race more believable and of course, at that age is also more likely that he could made an informed and willful decision to become a Jedi.

Then of course are the little contradictions to the original trilogy. "...there you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me, although really it was this dude called Qui-Gon, he was kind of a hippie, but you're freezing Luke so I guess I'll tell you later". "I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi, well, actually I was against the idea but that dude Qui-Gon I told you about when you were freezing, kicked the bucket so I was kinda stuck with your father as my padawan... what?? you don't know what a padawan is, Luke?? And you call yourself a Jedi"

As with each passing film is the SW saga the galaxy got smaller. Darth Vader is not only Luke and Leia's father, he's also 3PO's "father". Oh and the used to beat the crap out of Greedo. And he won races in front of Jabba...

In the end, as with Indy 4, my main problem is that the movie is kinda boring and pointless. What should have been IMO a film about Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship, so that we could see them being close friends and care about them before they had their big fallout, ended up being a movie about Federations, treaties, hearings in the Senate, prophecies, Gungans, midi-chlorians and other strange shit. The worst part is that Anakin and Obi-Wan hardly even talk to each other during the film. A waisted Episode if you ask me.

There are highlights and worthy stuff in Episode I though. I like the design for the most part, Darth Maul is awesome, it was hard to come up with a design to follow something as iconic as Darth Vader, they came very close with Maul, too bad they didn't give him any lines. The Naboo fighters are very nice ships.

The lightsaber duel is probably the best of all 6 moives in terms of coreography, (the OT duels are better in an emotional way). And the SW nerd in me likes stuff like the scene where 3PO meets R2, R2's introduction, saving everyone's ass like he always does. The Pod race in the theater was mostly good (dammit George can't you leave anything alone at all), it does have the announcer who might be most annoying character ever. Liam Neeson was very good given the material, a Jedi showing some sincere emotions, a very rare sight in the prequels.

And of course, the magnificent score by Williams. A score worthy of the Star Wars name, if a bit not quite up there with the OT score.

After my first viewing I didn't know what to make of it, a couple of viewings later I began to really like it. These days I find it hard to see it complete. Watching Amidala say things with that forced fake accent in those awul senate scenes that are sooooo boring is hard. The Gungan battle is also hard to endure as is any scene with Boss Nass. The plot is just so strange.

Episode I fits better with the OT than II and III, but it's hard to see they're part of the same story. It's the last one that looks like a movie, because they still built a lot of sets and models. II and III look too much like videogames. Watching III followed by IV just doesn't work at all.

There is, however, a great legacy to Episode I, this very forum, so think about that next time you trash it.

Never bothered to watch all of ESB or RotJ,

You're kidding aren't you? :|

In ESB Yoda tells Luke that a Jedi must have the deepest comitment. How can a 9 year old or anyone younger have the deepest comitment?? Do the 2 year olds that, according to the EU, the Jedi kinda abduct, have the deepest comitment??

Maybe...Yoda came to his ESB realization after some time? I know it doesn't make much if any sense either...considering that he's nearly a thousand years old. Then again the Old Republic Jedi were very much stuck in their old ways as the films try to put forth.

Good review, Diego.

You're right on the money with Lucas painting himself into a corner. In my opinion, Episode I should have kicked off the Clone Wars and dealt with Anakin and Obi-Wan when they were younger (basically the lead-up to what Obi-Wan tells Luke in the original). Or at least not have the Clone Wars happen between Episode II and III. What the hell is up with that? I really suspect somebody at Lucasfilm smelled a spin-off opportunity.

All that aside though, I do think it's a bold move to say, "you know those big epic Star Wars? They didn't start with an epic battle. It was a simple trade dispute that escalated into something far bigger."

Unfortunately, trade disputes are rather boring and the whole thing ends up very vague in the film as well. Lucas had some interesting things going on in the prequels with different parties scheming and plotting until they eventually ended up with a war. Alas, all of it became muddled and unclear and the execution left a lot to be desired.

I do like the look of Episode I quite a bit and the lightsaber duel kicks ass. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul is hands down the best saber fight of all six films (although not as dramatically significant as the OT duels). There's some good stuff to be found in this film, but there's also a lot of pointless bits that ultimately are either poorly executed or just go nowhere.

It is a good review, and hits home on many of the same memories and perspectives that I had of the movie, because from a fellow child of '81, it was also my first Star Wars event.

A big problem with Ep I is that it took 2+ hours to accomplish what could've taken twenty minutes. "Anakin, meet Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan, meet Anakin." That's it. That's all you needed. Now give us the rest of the story. No. I left the movie theater wondering how they would shoehorn the rest of the story into the remaining ~5 five hours of Episodes II and III. They didn't. Oh, ok. Just leave out the Clone Wars. Wonderful planning, Unca George.

Never bothered to watch all of ESB or RotJ,

You're kidding aren't you? :|

Nope. I liked ANH, but not enough that I felt I needed to continue watching the saga.

I plain just don't like Star Wars, in any capacity. Weither does my brother. We prefer a good drama, thriller or maybe a comedy

I do like the look of Episode I quite a bit and the lightsaber duel kicks ass. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul is hands down the best saber fight of all six films (although not as dramatically significant as the OT duels).

I was underwhelmed by it. I found it to be quite boring and slow. Not to mention it ended in like 5 minutes.

I'll give Lucas credit for not succumbing to the typical "going so fast with cuts every 2 seconds" style that infects almost every action film these days.

I don't want a lightsaber duel that's nothing but blue, green and red blurs.

while TPM is the only prequel that actually feels like a Star Wars film it suffers from poor pacing at times, especially the Tatooine and Courescant scenes. There is too much talking about nothing significant.

Plus we are given poop and fart jokes and several cultural references from the 90's, all of which have no business in a Star Wars film.

Visually it doesn't look as cartoonish as AOTC & ROTS do. The performances are a mixed bag. Ian Macdiarmid manages to deliver but most of the cast ranges from stiff to downright boring. The Yoda puppet looks awful.

The only saving grace is Williams' score, which shows that he was excited about re-visiting the series, at least for TPM.

Nice choice, Breathmint--sorry, Breathmask (got that confused the other night in the chat. . . .) :) Looks like you have indeed chosen a more controversial subject. It's already generating more discussion here than the first two did. We'll have to see how much of that translates to the chat.

That was a very well-considered review, Diego. You made me stop and think about things I never really put together while watching the film. I agree with you on pretty much every point you made, especially about the lightsaber duel. Its biggest problem is that it's far too short. The best sequence in the movie oughta be given more time.

- Uni

New film this week?

I nominate The Iron Giant.

Let's dump the Movie Club chat. Keep the regular chat each week, but let the Movie Club thing stand on its own. I also suggest picking a new film every two weeks instead of one. That gives us a bit more chance to actually view the film with the extra weekend.

Alright then.

This week's movie:

If you write a review, please also include the following:

- how does it hold up 10 years after its initial release?

- now that the six-movie Star Wars saga is complete, how does the movie fit into the whole?

I'd be interested in reading some answers to those questions.

I think I was the only one to watch Phantom Menace in the last week (not that I blame anyone). I'll post a few thoughts...

The classic Star Wars intro is yet to be equaled: 20th Century Fox drum roll (with CinemaScope extension), the now immortal words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...", *BAM* STAR WARS!!! John Williams incredible main title portending an epic adventure as the text crawl gives way to the infinity of space...

I gave myself goosebumps. :mellow:

It's a shame the movie that follows isn't quite up to the errand. That is, in hindsight. Like many, the summer of '99 was my first Star Wars event and my 12 year old self was certainly not disappointed. It was an instant favorite. Little things thrilled me, like seeing two Jedi on screen at the same time. Or Qui-Gon stabbing his lightsaber right through a blast door (that was a WOW moment). Or the R2 units being deployed to the top of the Queen's ship. The novelty has worn but the fun memories remain. (The quote of the Force Theme as the door melts still excites me though.)

I saw it in theaters at least 4 times. I can't remember how many times I watched the (full-screen) VHS but it was enough to ingrain the movie into my subconscious. Watching the wide-screen DVD now provides at least a hint of appreciated freshness.

A few random musings:

- The troop landing and invasion of Theed sequences are almost touching, carried by Williams' score (specifically when the Queen somberly gazes out a window).

- I actually don't find Jar Jar all that annoying and even find myself chuckling at some of his antics, contrasted with the stoical Jedi.

- Qui-Gon's compassion in rescuing Jar Jar vs. Obi-Wan's indifference is a nice character moment.

- All this elected queen stuff never made sense.

- Still can't really get into that 'Panaka' music.

- Escape from Naboo is an awesome cue. I still find the 'screaming' droids being blasted off the ship hilarious.

- Funny how soon Obi-Wan comes up with Tatooine.

- I like the poignant exchange:

Ani: "Only a Jedi carries that kind of weapon."

Qui: "Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him."

Ani: "That's impossible. No one can kill a Jedi."

Qui: "I wish that were so."

- Some of the alternate takes of lines in the trailers still throw me off. ("He can help you. He was meant to help you.", "Get to your ships!")

- Never had a problem with midichlorians.

- The podrace isn't as fun as it used to be but still gives a nice sense of speed. The sound design still rocks.

- Darth Maul remains all kinds of awesome.

- I like the sinister shot of Palpatine as Amidala calls for the Vote of No Confidence.

- Qui-Gon's death still hurts. (Okay, not really.

)

- The space battle feels more shallow than ever.

- I can't help but grin at Augie's Municipal band, even if musically it's the least of the finales.

Does it hold up? Visually I can't fault it. Musically I'm only just now discovering the awesomeness of the complete score (more or less). But overall I don't know that anything will hold up to my initial viewing experience. (Which reminds me, it was a matinee viewing in the morning and some joker sat next to me, shook my hand and was like "Hi, I'm a truancy officer... no, just kidding! Ha, ha!" ... bastard :( . Of course, at the time, I didn't actually know what a truancy officer was. :mellow: )

Has my opinion changed much since first viewing it? I don't know how much has been organic versus how much I've just been tainted by reading the critics years later. Whereas I wouldn't have faulted it hardly at all at the time, now I definitely wouldn't mind if things had turned out differently. I've indulged in 'what if' scenarios from time to time but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Now that the six-movie Star Wars saga is complete, how does the movie fit into the whole? It's not exactly a square peg in a round hole. More like a round peg in a square hole. It still fits but not as snug as it should. (I mean, technically Yoda IS a Jedi Master and he DOES instruct Obi-Wan. Right? Right?)

So yeah, I had a good time watching it again. I was young enough that it manages to qualify as a fun childhood film -- and I really enjoy it, cheese and all. I can see where people were disappointed and how things could have been better. But in the end, it is what it is. And for a Star Wars geek like me, even mediocre Star Wars is miles ahead of most else out there.

Interesting thing about Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. When the film was released (I was soon to be six), I, like many kids at one point in their lifetime, was obsessed with acting like "a grown-up". And a grown-up cannot be a grown-up and watch "baby films", can they? It was this mentality that gave me an irrational hatred toward fantasy films, even though they were the films I watched when I was younger. . And so I alienated many a friend when I refused to see the film in theaters, and I continued that silly exercise for about three years or so, when Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones was released. I had a friend who was a major Star Wars and Star Trek fan, and after playing with him for a while, he finally convinced me to watch Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace with him (and a episode of Star Trek, but I think you know how that ended). I credit the film for making me realize that it was okay to just let kids be kids.

Alright then, so here's a change of plans:

New movies will no longer be announced weekly, but bi-weekly.

The Friday night chat remains, but is no longer designated for the Movie Club, since that never really took off anyway.

So, the new movie is The Iron Giant (Brad Bird, 1999).

The next one will be announced on Saturday August 22nd.

Post your thoughts and reviews here!

Did anyone watch The Iron Giant? I caught the second half on TV, although I've already seen it a few times before.

Great movie, is really all I have to say. :P

I need to see it. Heard a lot of good opinions about it. And I love the score.

Karol

I watched The Iron Giant last week.

The reason I love this film is that it's so obviously not a cartoon. It's an animated feature. Animals behave like animals, characters hurt and bleed as if they were flesh and blood. It is this mindset that sets it apart from many of the other animated features coming out of Hollywood.

The script features some interesting ideas that are executed quite well. There's a bit of silliness here and there (a power station with a giant ON/OFF switch on its outer wall?), but the characters come out as the most important - as it should be.

The design is very nice and there's some wonderful cinematography in it. The opening sequence, the first Rockwell scene straight after, Hogarth's exploits in the woods and the final act all look fantastic. Animation is top notch as well.

And this movie made me miss Michael Kamen again. He wasn't as prolific a composer as Goldsmith maybe, but his scores were always good. He makes the final scenes. I can't help but choke up every time I watch

the Giant's departure and his final "Superman..."

. It's a scene where everything from design through animation through performance, editing and music comes together. It is for this reason alone, for touching its audience so effectively, that this movie deserves a spot in any Greatest Animation list.

Good times.

P.S.: Brad Bird is awesome.

Since Friday nights haven't been working for me, I'm heading into the chatroom for a bit this afternoon. All are welcome, but be warned: Mark and I are watching the last round of the PGA, so there will be golf talk. :(

Ooo my brother got that on DVD awhile ago as part of a huge sale at Best Buy. I never watched it :mellow:

Now's your chance then! It's a 'must see' movie and if I recall correctly you like PTA's stuff and it's one of his all-time favourites.

Tim - realising that his suggestion hasn't exactly raised a ruckus!!?! :pukeface: