John Williams' religious and political beliefs

ChuckM

Yes I know the forum rules about this, but I'm not trying to start an actual discussion on the topic. I'm just curious what JW's personal beliefs are.

I'm not looking for speculation either. What documented sources do we have of Williams mentioning such things?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a democratic, as proved by:

-his composition for Obama's inaugaration

-his composition for the Democratic National Convention

-him conducting the Democratic National Convention a few times

-his theme written for a Democratic presidential candidate

I seem to also recall him saying in an interview that he's not a very religious man, but I forget where I heard that. Beyond that I don't really know much.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/features/williams.asp

I'm not a particularly religious person, but there's something sort of eerie, about the way our hands are occasionally guided in some of the things that we do. It can happen in any aspect, any phase of human endeavor where we come to the right solutions almost in spite of ourselves. And you look back and you say that that almost seems to have a kind of -- you want to use the word
divine
-- guidance behind it. It can make you believe in miracles in any collaborative art form: the theatre, film, any of this, when all these aspects come together to form a humming engine that works and the audience is there for it and they're ready for it and willing to embrace it. That is a kind of miracle also.

If he talked to certain people here he might get the impression that he himself is God.

I'd be pretty shocked if someone brought that to my attention.

really, the topic is on the verge of rule-breaking, but chuck worded it correctly because he wants researched facts and not opinions. But as always, the unnecessary jokes and posts are going to ruin it.

John Williams is bigger then Jezus.

As a matter a fact, that was the title of his second jazz-album.

Yes, I recall there was major controversy when he told the press that. Across the nation, there were checkpoints where you could drop off or destroy your John Williams soundtrack albums.

"Jesus died for you, John Williams!"-- the protest signs said.

Subsequently, the mass destruction of his albums only made the surviving copies into collector's items...

Chuck, where's that quote in your signature from?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/wantednews.php?id=7396

CS/SHH!: How about somebody else's comic book score that you love?

Elfman: John Williams is like the champion of the whole forum. His things are in another universe, literally. There are all of us and then there is John Williams. That is how I look at him – his stuff has always been amazing. He helped really open the entire door to the very concept of big orchestral scores for this kind of genre. If it wasn't for what he did in "Star Wars" and what he did for "Raiders" and "Superman" we wouldn't still be able to do this stuff now.

Chuck, where's that quote in your signature from?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/wantednews.php?id=7396

CS/SHH!: How about somebody else's comic book score that you love?

Elfman: John Williams is like the champion of the whole forum. His things are in another universe, literally. There are all of us and then there is John Williams. That is how I look at him – his stuff has always been amazing. He helped really open the entire door to the very concept of big orchestral scores for this kind of genre. If it wasn't for what he did in "Star Wars" and what he did for "Raiders" and "Superman" we wouldn't still be able to do this stuff now.

Thank you Chuck!