Gerhardt's Classic Film Scores series re-released

TownerFan

On 16/05/2023 at 12:07 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Sunset Boulevard

Captain Blood

The Bad and the Beautiful 

image.png

...but eventually get all of them.;)

This is my vote too. The Raksin album conducted by the composer is terrific, and these are probably his three greatest scores.

Yavar

44 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

This is my vote too. The Raksin album conducted by the composer is terrific, and these are probably his three greatest scores.

Yavar

It is a great album and one I forget about more often than not, which is my bad. Then again, despite its apparent fame, I still couldn't for the life of me hum the theme from Laura... (and this is the person who, at school, used to be able to play more or less film/TV theme by ear to entertain my friends, so I'm not unaccustomed to picking out a good tune!).

41 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Show off... I'm not saying it's not a good tune, I am just slightly mystified at how it's so famous yet a total deaf spot for me.

I do find the other themes on the CD to be difficult to remember. 

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Then again, despite its apparent fame, I still couldn't for the life of me hum the theme from Laura...

I thought I was the only one! And as far as I know, when I listen to it, I do think it's really good. I just have never been able to remember it.

Ah, Laura is an unforgettable theme. But it probably helps that I listened to it and to Laura Palmer's theme nearly non stop when my niece Laura was born

Another great title is KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES - Also on the Gerhardt SACD album as a bonus. Id love to see this fully re-recorded next. Bill Stromberg has already done a cue as bonus on his MYSTERIOUS ISLAND cd set. The OST on the FOX and perhaps the Krizterland release is pretty much the same.