What are your Top 10 Harry Potter tracks from the OS albums?

Josh500

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Buckbeack's Flight

2. Quidditch, Third Year

3. Finale (from POA)

4. The Chamber of Secrets

5. Double Trouble

6. A Window to the Past

7. The Quidditch Match (specially for the TLW part. I love it)

8. Duelling the Basilisk

9. The Chess Game

10. The Face of Voldemort

(I excluded Hedwig's Theme 'cause its too obvious)

I can't vote because the (first three) Harry Potter scores are not the kind of scores that I really care to know the name of the track I'm listening to or what's going on in the movie as I listen to them. Actually, with all of the tons of albums I've been buying lately, I just hit play on the album and when it's over, I pick something else. There has to be a very good reason for me to stop and look at what I'm listening to, which is rare.

Not like Star Wars or other movies that I have seen to death. I saw each HP movie once, and that's enough. When I listen to their scores, it's as a complete album / listening experience, so they're just...there. But they're very good.

I can't vote because the (first three) Harry Potter scores are not the kind of scores that I really care to know the name of the track I'm listening to or what's going on in the movie as I listen to them. Actually, with all of the tons of albums I've been buying lately, I just hit play on the album and when it's over, I pick something else. There has to be a very good reason for me to stop and look at what I'm listening to, which is rare.

Hey, this is exactly what I've been doing recently. I remember a time when I would check to see the track names each time a track changed on my iPod/ computer/ cd player. These days I just play the score through pretty much (with a few exceptions).

I will put my vote in, but not just yet, I think I will listen through them all again to refresh my memory. It's been a while since I had some Harry Potter music in my life.

Not like Star Wars or other movies that I have seen to death. I saw each HP movie once, and that's enough. When I listen to their scores, it's as a complete album / listening experience, so they're just...there. But they're very good.

Hmmm, interesting. I think I know what you mean, but . . . what's the harm in knowing the name of the cues/tracks?

Hmmm, interesting. I think I know what you mean, but . . . what's the harm in knowing the name of the cues/tracks?

Checking my iPod every track change interrupts my work and eventually kills the unit's batteries quicker turning the light on.

I cannot just sit in a darkened room with candles and drugs, and listen to music for the sake of music's enjoyment. I don't have the time. I'm always doing something else, and it happens to be the background music I enjoy.

I'm only familiar with the Williams soundtracks. My Top 10:

1. Hedwig's Theme

2. A Window To The Past

3. Harry's Wondrous World

4. Buckbeak's Flight

5. Fawkes The Phoenix

6. The Arrival Of Baby Harry

7. Finale (POA)

8. Quidditch, Third Year

9. The Chamber Of Secrets

10. The Quidditch Match

that sounds about right

but for Double Trouble and Window to the Past the longer concert versions are much better than the OST versions.So you wouldn't need to include the PoA Finale in the top 10

I'll just add Reunion of Friends (or it's SS close equivalent the unreleased House Cup cue)as part of my top 10

I know "A Window to the Past" is highly regarded here, but I am not that impressed by it. It's great and effective, but it's not outstanding, IMO.

For me:

AWttP < AtS

A Window To The Past is easily one of Williams' most effective long-lined melodies.

I know "A Window to the Past" is highly regarded here, but I am not that impressed by it. It's great and effective, but it's not outstanding, IMO.

For me:

AWttP < AtS

A Window To The Past is easily one of Williams' most effective long-lined melodies.

Well, yes, but so are most themes written by JW. It's great, but IMO nothing special.

1) Leaving Hogwarts

2) Fawkes the Phoenix

3) Buckbeak's Flight

4) Harry's Wonderous World

5) The Invisibility Cloak and the Library Scene (starting at 2:07)

6) Hedwig's theme

7) A Window to the Past

8) Secrets of the Castle

9) Finale

10)The Arrival of Baby Harry

Leaving Hogwarts and The Invisibility Cloak both have excellent but unique statements of my favorite Harry Potter theme, the theme associated with his family. Fawkes is one of my favorite Williams themes to listen to overall. Buckbeak's theme really gives the sensation of flying - it's a miracle such an amazing melody emerged so late in John's career. The other themes I chose are simply some moments that I enjoy. The Arrival of Baby Harry beat out several other great cues because it underscores one of the two bookend scenes in the whole series.

Buckbeak's theme really gives the sensation of flying - it's a miracle such an amazing melody emerged so late in John's career.

Not a miracle, just JW giving it his best. ;)

The whole piece is a masterpiece, but I can't get over how good the "bridge" is (from around 0:50 to 1:20). What the orchestra is doing at 0:59, when Harry sees his own reflection in the water rushing by underneath, is mesmerizing and breathtaking.

8) Secrets of the Castle

Yes, I considered whether to include this one or "Platform" in my list. At the end, the majestic statement of "Hedwig's Theme" and the fun fanfare which follows it won the day.

By the way in "Journey to Hogwarts," isn't the fanfare at 2:20-2:40 just awesome? (When the kids catch sight of Hogwarts for the first time in their boats...)

I wonder why no one ever mentions that.

1. Secrets of the Castle

2. Fawkes the Phoenix

3. Quidditch, Third Year

4. Reunion of Friends

5. Room of Requirement - Hooper

6. Arrival of Baby Harry

7. Harry's Wondrous World

8. Hagrid the Professor

9. Quidditch Match

10. Professor Umbridge - Hooper

I think that all the new material in "Mischief Managed!" should count. We can just leave out all the tracked material.

By the way in "Journey to Hogwarts," isn't the fanfare at 2:20-2:40 just awesome? (When the kids catch sight of Hogwarts for the first time in their boats...)

I wonder why no one ever mentions that.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite JW moments ever, the b section of Hedwig's theme and the festive part at the end. That melody as they're looking up at the towers is related to the great hall entry music in the next scene. But you'd never know that from just listening to the CD.

Most of the JW HP tracks are good, if not great. There are only some exceptions in POA like Saving Buckbeak and werewolf scene stuff.

Most of the JW HP tracks are good, if not great. There are only some exceptions in POA like Saving Buckbeak and werewolf scene stuff.

IYO, needless to say. ;)

For me, "Saving Buckbeak" is one of the best on the PoA album. Not quite good enough to make the Top 10 of all 3 albums, but very high up there.

I love the subteless of it, the almost conspiratory aspect of it.

Yeah, that's one of my favorite JW moments ever, the b section of Hedwig's theme and the festive part at the end. That melody as they're looking up at the towers is related to the great hall entry music in the next scene. But you'd never know that from just listening to the CD.

Yes. I hear a little bit of Hook in this one... "The Banquet" comes immediately to mind...

Very different melodically, but the texture is the same, in a way. :)

IYO, needless to say. :)

For me, "Saving Buckbeak" is one of the best on the PoA album. Not quite good enough to make the Top 10 of all 3 albums, but very high up there.

I love the subteless of it, the almost conspiratory aspect of it.

I'm with Josh on this one. Saving Buckbeak is one of my favorite PoA tracks.

Also, what I really love--as mentioned before--is the small section missing between "Time to Forward Past" and "Saving Buckbeak."

And at the very beginning, the slightly suspenseful scene when Ron's father warns Harry about Sirius Black in the dining hall.

Man, what I would give to have these 2 in good quality! :)