Video Game Music

Quintus

The Dead Space scores are appropriate in their respective games, but are a tough standalone listen which is understandable.

I remember they gave me almost a headache. :)

The Dead Space scores are appropriate in their respective games, but are a tough standalone listen which is understandable.

I remember they gave me almost a headache. :)

You may be right. I'm fresh off of playing them so I'm all about their scores right now. I doubt I could just pick them up and listen to them in 6 months.

For the moment though....they're terrifyingly fascinating lol

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely love this score, and Benny's scores in general. Such a talented composer, and he does all his orchestration himself too. I'd encourage anyone to check out his score for Dragon's Prophet too.

I have an account, but no info about the file format comes up, seems a bit silly in this day and age.

But I bought Castlevania LOS 1 & 2 with them, and those came as lossy MP3s (320).

Had the pleasure to edit the video for this ( pretty awesome ) prog/fusion cover by Tetrmino !

Woah! I was just thinking today about that game's score! The overworld music has been engrained in my head for 20 years!

Classy piece of work as always Marc ! Kudos to you and the gang. Not too familiar with Secret of Mana, but this helps. :rock:

And can I just congratulate the hot violin girl, I like how she glanced up at the camera, twice. (I have a thing for asian beauties... hehe) :drool:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I has a dick.

I don't use Spotify. It defeats the purpose of having an iPod and I can't seem to find time or peace at work to use it, my commute is ten minutes, and at home, the TV wins.

Red Dead isn't released on the PC and likely never will be, so it's not something I think about anymore. Except when I'm reminded about it.

Red Dead Redemption is the only one of those bunch I would take time to listen to. Great theme, some Morricone inspired moments (of course), just skip the crappy Undead Nightmare expansion score.

So what are some recent game scores that are worthy of my (anybody's) attention? I've been noticing a lack of good music coming out for the medium the past months. Or I'm just being ignorant.

I also enjoyed David Buckley's Arkham Knight in game.

I wonder who'll be scoring Black Ops III. I hate how they never announce those until right before the game's release. You say the soundtrack is included months before hand but why not say who composed it?!

VGL: I recommend the blu-ray... all the sensibilities of a symphonic setting with the atmosphere and fun of a rock concert, like Tommy Tallarico describes it himself, and he's right.

I hope they do a second one someday, I'd buy it.

What he means by that is that it's not like your average classical concert, where you can't have people cheering during some great cue or a nice rendition of a fan favorite theme, in other words a very loose atmosphere and a general sense of fun. It does not cheapen the experience... at least it never did for me. And I saw it at home, by my lonesome.

It's all in the spirit of 'games are fun', you know? ;)

Well, it's not something I do myself in these situations, draw attention to myself I mean, but in that moment, feeling excited and swept up by the music and what's going on on stage, well I might just do that. And it's not like the audience is screaming and acting crazy the whole time. The performers produce a lot more decibels after all.

I'm sure you would be the only one not moving and acting serious the whole time BB... Like what's with all these loons around me, contributing to the fun... I'm a serious music listener. :biglaugh:

Unstable performance? Other than some slight frame rate jittering in certain places I don't see how this game can be unstable. You literally walk around and discover pieces of the story that play out in front of you. And what sucks about that is that you cannot sprint, turning what would have been a nice breezy and beautiful 2 hour experience into somewhat of a drag.

Score combined with the visuals is sublime though. The choral work is amazing.

Likely written by an action gamer brought up on mindless first-person shooters. Other reviews praise it for its storytelling qualities and being something that doesn't require reflexes, tactics or triggerhappy fingers.

It looks interesting, I played Dear Esther, which is no classic but something different, like an audiovisual novel that tells its story through the players limited actions (basically walking and exploring).

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, seems like a step up from Dear Esther. At some point I will want to try this out (for example when it's free through PS4 or Xbone subscription).

Unstable performance? Other than some slight frame rate jittering in certain places I don't see how this game can be unstable.

The frame rate jittering is what I call unstable performance. I'm VERY fussy about presentation. I'll wait for patches.

So Quint, how's Dying Light annoying you with its unstable framerate then (PS4)? It's noticeable enough especially in indoor levels, but for me personally not nearly as frustrating as the difficulty in this game... The constant dying and having to travel to the last position is what's slowly killing my enjoyment for what is essentially a fantastic game from a design standpoint. Maybe this is what a zombie apocalypse is supposed to be, but it's really sucking the fun out of the game. And the storyline's not The Last of Us quality either, far from it. Right now I don't even know if I want to complete it. I keep returning to it, but everytime I end a session it's with a feeling I've been more annoyed than entertained.

Now, Black Flag on the other hand... that one is bloody excellent.

Likely written by an action gamer brought up on mindless first-person shooters. Other reviews praise it for its storytelling qualities and being something that doesn't require reflexes, tactics or triggerhappy fingers.

It looks interesting, I played Dear Esther, which is no classic but something different, like an audiovisual novel that tells its story through the players limited actions (basically walking and exploring).

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, seems like a step up from Dear Esther. At some point I will want to try this out (for example when it's free through PS4 or Xbone subscription).

His review is completely valid. It all depends whether you are willing to forgive its clunky design to explore more of the story. I honestly though of giving up at times, but ultimately plowed through it. The voice acting is excellent, but like he mentions, you have no idea who is speaking to who unless you have a great knack for distinguishing British accents. Granted, the subtitles label each voice with a name as they speak, but I despise subtitles in video games. I was able to grasp onto what I feel like was ultimately important in this game, and that is the interpersonal relationships between the townsfolk. The lack of sprint is a serious Achille's heel, and the open world nature means that you can actually bypass all of the story and end the game open-ended. I would have preferred a more funneled vision for the story, to ensure the players saw and heard everything they should have to appreciate everything. One of the areas is a giant open farmland with vast wheat fields. I know I didn't find everything there because I couldn't be arsed to walk for 2 hours to search every nook and cranny, so I moved on to the next part of town.

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

Listen to its ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS main theme, then go and buy the WAY TOO SHORT * soundtrack album.

Link deleted, video inacessible

* Only a mere 23 minutes long, but not lacking in quality whatsoever.

I'll quote this post as a reminder those that don't know about this gem, to blind buy this, because it has turned out to be one the best blind buys I've ever made.

Screen Archives has it here.

Listening to it again now, it's a superb though short score, with an astoundingly noble theme. It's impossible not to fall in love with the theme if you've grown up with Williams.

Here's a suite I made a while ago, the most rousing version of that theme at the very end, I'm sure you'll agree. :)