What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

But ... It's only one creature! Usually, horror games have loads of creatures and zombies to keep the gamer busy.

Was Alien not good because it was one monster hunting the ship crew as opposed to the sequel? (which on a personal note I believe to be superior).

To have just one alien hunting the player compared to various will be, for me at least, the most interesting aspect about this title. The idea alone is seriously creepy if you ask me. It will hopefully increase the tension tenfold.

Deus Ex 1 on Realistic was one of the most satisfying gaming experiences of my life. I still need to play the third game.

I would have to say Human Revolution doesn't beat the first game, but it comes pretty damn close. But then the first Deus Ex was way ahead of its time, it's still a fantastic title today.

That being said, having completed Thief II again recently, and loving it once again, I'm itching to try the latest Thief game, I will not have the high expectations I had with Human Revolutions though.

I've finished Tales of Symphonia. I like the real time combat style of the Tales series a lot better than Final Fantasy's turn based battles. But it was my least favorite Tales game so far, maybe because the story is too similar to the other ones

Like FFX, the sequel is included in the HD re-master

I blew through the entirety of Black Flag in about a week and a half. It was great fun.

My biggest issue with it was all the tedious tail and eavesdrop missions. Some of the worst mission design I've ever had to grind through. The seafaring parts on the other hand were fantastic, but it felt like untapped potential in the end.

Everyone hates those eavesdrop missions and they've been in the AC franchise since the beginning. Apparently they finally got rid of them in Unity. My immense enjoyment from Black Flag didn't come from its main campaign, but from exploring its vast oceans and islands in free roam.

Alien: Isolation is a heavily refined and polished step in the recent trend of FPS survival horror. I loved Outlast to death, bought Daylight hoping for a similar experience, but its lack of actual structure (the game utilizes randomly generated hallways and shit) didn't keep my attention for long. Isolation seems to be the right combination of both, where the atmosphere and environments are nailed perfectly, and the alien itself is randomly generated in that even the developers don't know where it will hide and what it will do. It evolves on its own based on what you do in the game. Count me in.

I only play AC 2 so far, and I never really felt like playing another one

I'm a grinding pro for most games so something must have really put me off

Alien: Isolation is a heavily refined and polished step in the recent trend of FPS survival horror. I loved Outlast to death, bought Daylight hoping for a similar experience, but its lack of actual structure (the game utilizes randomly generated hallways and shit) didn't keep my attention for long. Isolation seems to be the right combination of both, where the atmosphere and environments are nailed perfectly, and the alien itself is randomly generated in that even the developers don't know where it will hide and what it will do. It evolves on its own based on what you do in the game. Count me in.

That's great to know. I'm already game since the day they anounced it's basically Alien: The Game.

Outlast was great, short but satisfyingly creepy. The same goes for the first Amnesia, haven't tried the sequel but I hear it's not worth it...

Original cast returns for Alien: Isolation DLC. This game just reached pre-order status.

The pre-order missions have been devised as ‘What If’ scenarios according to the game’s director Alistair Hope. Speaking to IGN, Hope says, “There’s no point in us trying to match beat-for-beat what occurs in the film. The film is much better at doing that than a game.

“We came with the approach these guys had a plan to try and take on the alien, to flush it out of an airlock. What else could have happened?”

It's preorder content available "at select retailers" only. Fuck that shit, purposely holding content back like that, I won't support it. Will pick this up in the sales now instead.

Pretty sure it's at most retailers. It's not like games where each store gets something different. DLC and season passes are here to stay. Games are no longer $60. Destiny's expansion pass is $35!

Pretty sure it's at most retailers. It's not like games where each store gets something different. DLC and season passes are here to stay. Games are no longer $60. Destiny's expansion pass is $35!

Seriously?

Yeah I think I'm gonna end up passing on that one.

You really think there's only ever one Game of the Year per year? Or that there isn't some other subtitle that can be used to repackage the game with all its DLC's and/or expansion packs? I look at games like Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, GTA IV, Civilization V, Civilization IV, Civilization III, Bioshock 3, Deus Ex 3, Borderlands 2, Morrowind, SimCity 4, Dishonored, and they all did it, eventually. It's only games like Diablo III and Starcraft 2 that are still in progress that haven't.

If you want to spend top dollar and pre-order the game, that's your business. I will take my chances months down the road.

Seriously?

Yeah I think I'm gonna end up passing on that one.

Why, because of DLC?

You really think there's only ever one Game of the Year per year? Or that there isn't some other subtitle that can be used to repackage the game with all its DLC's and/or expansion packs? I look at games like Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, GTA IV, Civilization V, Civilization IV, Civilization III, Bioshock 3, Deus Ex 3, Borderlands 2, Morrowind, SimCity 4, Dishonored, and they all did it, eventually. It's only games like Diablo III and Starcraft 2 that are still in progress that haven't.

If you want to spend top dollar and pre-order the game, that's your business. I will take my chances months down the road.

All of those games have had upwards of 5 DLC add-ons, hearty ones that add hours of gameplay to their OPEN WORLD design. You're more than welcome to pick this up when it's cheaper but don't expect any DLC bundled in.

Not for the PC market it hasn't... PC gamers have never had it this good. Websites that sell serial keys at much diminished prices that what it would sell at retail, even when it's just released, and every couple of months the sales, like on GOG and Steam recently.

Games prices haven't changed for nearly a decade. They used to be more expensive in the N64 days!

I'm just saying that with the surge of DLC and season passes, your base game is still $60 but if you want more you'll spend nearly twice that amount.

True. All told with Skyrim, after the DLC I probably put close to $100 into it. But that was over a period of more than a year. I assume an "expansion pass" is a one time thing that encompasses all future DLC releases?

I still have games waiting to install I bought on a sale 2 years ago. But then again, I'll probably pick the Alien game up after I've read some reviews, the chestburster in me needs it badly.

Or not if it turns out to be not all that (which I would have a hard time believing).

I also have a ton of sealed games piled up. It's because the average game I play takes me a month to complete.

Right now I shouldn't buy anything for the next 6 months, especially new releases at 60$ when they will be 20$ (or less) by the time I play them

True. All told with Skyrim, after the DLC I probably put close to $100 into it. But that was over a period of more than a year. I assume an "expansion pass" is a one time thing that encompasses all future DLC releases?

As of the moment two expansion packs have been announced. The pass will net you both for $35 while they are $20 each separately. Not even COD DLC costs that much, so either Bungie are giving us Elder Scrolls style DLC loaded with new content or Activision is confident enough this stuff will sell to hike up the price.

The Limited and Ghost editions of the game ($100 and $150 respectively) are both sold out already on Amazon for PS4. Insane! This one is going to be the best seller of the year.

After playing the alpha I'm going to wait for Destiny to come to PC.

I missed out on the alpha even though I downloaded it but the beta will be out on the 17th. Any particular reason why you're waiting for PC?

60fps competitive multiplayer.

I'm no frame rate elitist, and I felt the campaign stuff played acceptably smooth enough, but the arbitrary 30fps cap in the substantial PvP component is unacceptable - by today's standards, and my own. A lead Bungie designer has even gone on record as saying the PS4 version has been deliberately frame rate capped for parity reasons. They want the game to feel exactly the same on all platforms - even the last gen versions. Which is basically a big FU to anyone who paid out for the hardware upgrade if you ask me. I've seen what the game looks like. It's an unimpressive engine from a visual standpoint, and it definitely would have ran skyward of the forced 30fps we are getting on the PS4 version. Couldn't care less about the higher res and better textures/lighting.

60fps in competitive multiplayer is an absolute must these days, and I actually believe the PvP portion of Destiny will fail to take off as a result of it not being up to standard.

Yep. And wait till you play it. It's reeeeally jarring. Feels like going back in time.

Eventually you adjust and just get on with it, it is in the end okay and quite playable for the main brunt of what the game is about. But PvP feels shitty to me, which is a big disappointment (you know I'm a Halo nut and I had a lot of expectation in Bungie for their next big online competitive shooter).

Yep. And wait till you play it. It's reeeeally jarring. Feels like going back in time.

Eventually you adjust and just get on with it, it is in the end okay and quite playable for the main brunt of what the game is about. But PvP feels shitty to me, which is a big disappointment (you know I'm a Halo nut and I had a lot of expectation in Bungie for their next big online competitive shooter).

Yeah for FPS it's a must. I mean, if COD has had 60fps since 2007... it's one of the main reasons I've stuck with that franchise for so long. It's MP is slick as anything.

Waiting impatiently for Destiny, the game but even more for the music, by the Halo boys !

The Halo series has always had exceptional music, especially for a first-person shooter franchise. In fact it's probably the best for the genre. I'm sure Destiny will follow suit.

No Bungie should do what every Halo fan wants, and put Marty on the payroll again. Part of the success of the Halo franchise is the sound of the games, and more importantly what the music has done for them.

Then again, I love what Neil Davidge and Kazuma Jinnouchi did for Halo 4, so I'm sure it can work without Marty and Mike. But to have them back for Destiny 2 would be great.

Waiting impatiently for Destiny, the game but even more for the music, by the Halo boys !

The Halo series has always had exceptional music, especially for a first-person shooter franchise. In fact it's probably the best for the genre. I'm sure Destiny will follow suit.

All I remember is being put off by the music for the first game way back in the day. Do you or Lee want to toss out some YT links for me to check out? I think 13 years is enough time passed to try it out again ;)

As for the best of the genre, that easily goes to the MOH series.

MOH bores me. Corny heroics with the arbitrary forced sobriety the World War II genre became known for in the nineties, it's all a bit vanilla. Not a Gia fan though.

Anyway, you're probably not gonna like it, but here ya go:

<--------- fanfare of Williams proportions on the end of that one.

Enjoy your indifference!

That's one of my favourite tracks from the rather cool Halo 3: ODST.

Not the biggest fan of Reach soundtrack, the Overture is actually the best part.

And Giacchino's game scores are awesome !! Better than his work for film and TV in any case. But yeah I'm a sucker for big sounding heroic themes.

I've created a separate topic for this kind of thing... Should keep things neat and tidy. You okay with that Jay? But I wasn't sure whether it belonged in General Discussion (where it's at) or Other Topics. Please put it where it's most relevant.