What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Doom was an example I used that Steef may have heard of, to illustrate imagination. If you believe I am so backward as to believe Doom is superior to every modern shooter, well, you'd have to ask me why I just bought a nice video card for my i7 rig, or you can't infer metaphors. I have played many shooters that are superior to Doom, but I've also played some modern stinkers that were bad even with modern engines and graphics and what modern levels should look like. Maybe it's because I grew up with the game in my formative years, the way some people look back fondly on Zelda, Mario, or their first and last blowjob twenty years ago. I'm biased because the Brutal Doom mod breathes new life into such an ancient game, which many tens of thousands of people still actively play, but you won't hear about them in the major news outlets because they're not giving Call of Battlefield any money.

Whats Doom?

;)

Well, the Atari E.T. landfill has gone viral today. Apparently, they have excavated the game in New Mexico.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/26/5656288/construction-workers-unearth-legendary-cache-of-atari-games-in-new

Disappointed Wolfenstein has no multiplayer.

I think they're just too afraid to try to recapture the fantastic multiplayer experience that was RTCW and WolfET. It's a shame, because the resurgence of the franchise was 90% thanks to RTCW's multiplayer.

err, Child of Light is out. It's a RPG...but a 2D sidescroller too so I'll be skipping it

Reviews are strong. Give the demo a whirl, at least. It looks gorgeous but turn-based RPGs aren't my thing.

Ok I don't know how it's possible but I'm getting bored of Skyrim... I'm only level 43 but I've done all the main missions -in the following order: Killed Alduin, joined the Empire, defeated Miraak, joined the Dawnguard, became a vampire, a werewolf, joined the Dark Brotherhood aaand that's about it. I've explored a lot of the map on my own and I'm getting so sick of having to go to the Dwarven mines and that fucking Blackreach, ugh.... At least now that I'm a higher level defeating the Falmer is waaay easier. It used to be such a nightmare when I was a one-digit level and had to sneak around because I couldn't kill them.... Sheesh....

But anyways, is there more to the main missions? The miscellaneous missions become boring reaally fast, it's just the same... In fact the thing that bothers me about the game -and this type of games in general- it's its repetivness: Go there, do this, kill that guy, come back and repeat. The ocassional dragon encounter still makes it fun, although if they don't attack me I don't kill them. From the first moment I kept wondering why do I have to kill them, but oh well, game logic, something to do I suppose...

Sorry for the rambling!

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

It might be worth it just for Kevin Spacey (the thought of him being in this is hilarious to me). The title shows they're trying for a Modern Warfare spiritual successor, but it just looks bland. I was hoping they would tone it down and go back to what made it originally great, but instead they cranked it up even more.

You'll love it I'll hate it. Shame they have to keep regurgitating this "real world" commentary bullocks as a narrative focus. I mean, they're going more sci-fi and fantastical than ever, so why not try something more off the wall with the story and setting for once? Nope, more globe trotting terrorist killing, yawn. These faux wartime gung ho adventures are tedious as fuck by now, in all shooters.

An alien invasion in bombastic ott CoD style would be more fun than this and would probably be a CoD I'd like to play!

Ok I don't know how it's possible but I'm getting bored of Skyrim... I'm only level 43 but I've done all the main missions -in the following order: Killed Alduin, joined the Empire, defeated Miraak, joined the Dawnguard, became a vampire, a werewolf, joined the Dark Brotherhood aaand that's about it. I've explored a lot of the map on my own and I'm getting so sick of having to go to the Dwarven mines and that fucking Blackreach, ugh.... At least now that I'm a higher level defeating the Falmer is waaay easier. It used to be such a nightmare when I was a one-digit level and had to sneak around because I couldn't kill them.... Sheesh....

But anyways, is there more to the main missions? The miscellaneous missions become boring reaally fast, it's just the same... In fact the thing that bothers me about the game -and this type of games in general- it's its repetivness: Go there, do this, kill that guy, come back and repeat. The ocassional dragon encounter still makes it fun, although if they don't attack me I don't kill them. From the first moment I kept wondering why do I have to kill them, but oh well, game logic, something to do I suppose...

Sorry for the rambling!

Skyrim is all scale and not much else. They didn't put much thought into the game design. But they did put a lot of time in!

It's a game that's more exciting to daydream about playing than actually playing.

Yet it [skyrim] won practically all the game of the year awards in 2011. Alas, the unspoken truth in the industry is that you can't buy a review or award, but you can buy (or not buy) the ads in the magazine and website that's giving the awards. ;)

I actually think Deus Ex Human Revolution earned it that year. As did The Witcher 2. Not Skyrim.

You'll love it I'll hate it.

Considering how much I hate Ghosts, I wouldn't be so sure. As long as they go back to what made the multiplayer great, I'll be ready to jump back in. I actually miss it, to be honest. I haven't touched a FPS in a long time.

As for Skyrim, the game is fantastic.

As for Skyrim, the game is fantastic.

No.

You been reading my comments on Eurogamer on something? That wink is mighty suspicious...

No, why?

I actually think Deus Ex Human Revolution earned it that year. As did The Witcher 2. Not Skyrim.

I'm first to say Skyrim isn't great by my RPG standards, but Witcher 2 REALLY disappointed me

I'm first to say Skyrim isn't great by my RPG standards, but Witcher 2 REALLY disappointed me
Did you replay Witcher 2? I didn't appreciate it as much until I played it again and realized how dramatically different the game turns out based on your choices.

I actually think that's a big flaw in decision branching in games right now. The player doesn't get an immediate sense of their opportunity cost. Especially with game changing decisions like Witcher 2, where you basically play a different game and story based on your decisions. But you wouldn't know it unless you play again and see the alternatives.

It's actually something Human Revolution managed to do well...make you feel like your choices had serious ramifications while not being too big of a choice in the context of the game. It's a nice balance between "The Walking Dead" (all highly effective illusion), and Witcher 2 (all choice, but not well illustrated to the player).

Then there is Skyrim, which gives you token choices and the world is all but static in response. "Oh you took out a dragon? Let me rob you with my stick."

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare

It might be worth it just for Kevin Spacey (the thought of him being in this is hilarious to me). The title shows they're trying for a Modern Warfare spiritual successor, but it just looks bland. I was hoping they would tone it down and go back to what made it originally great, but instead they cranked it up even more.

It's eerie how well they got Kevin Spacey down for being CG. I was really disappointed with Ghosts to the point I gave up on it completely. Hopefully they have made up for this upcoming game....but I'm not holding my breath.

Sorry for the rambling!

Skyrim is all scale and not much else. They didn't put much thought into the game design. But they did put a lot of time in!

It's a game that's more exciting to daydream about playing than actually playing.

You n'wah!

That's only a problem if you need the game to actively do something to entertain you. I can enjoy just wandering around doing shit.

You should get the Dragonborn DLC, Michael. Nice throwback to Morrowind in design, music, setting, and yes, quest quality/novelty. Though I preferred Dawnguard. Oh wait I just saw you mention Miraak already. Never mind.

I started a new character in Morrowind a few weeks ago and played through the main quest. What a totally engrossing game that was, even though Skyrim obviously looks (and on some days I think sounds) better. I'll do the two DLC quests again at some point down the line, and maybe even replay Oblivion after that.

There's this brilliant quest in the Oblivion DLC where a man in the city asks you to kill him at some point in the future unbeknownst to him. They perch him right up top of a cliffside/staircase staring out at the stars. I have a separate save of that moment so I can replay it. First time, I shot an arrow in his back, he flipped over the side screaming "Not like this!"

Died laughing.

Pretty f*cking accurate. Though I won't get the Dawnguard or Dragonborn DLC's until they cost less combined than what I paid for the main game.

Nothing wrong with Skyrim's game design in my opinion. Bethesda RPGs are about the exploration.

Grand Theft Auto III featured a healthy dose of exploration, too. If all you needed in a Bethesda RPG was exploration, you could have stopped at Morrowind.

No, you could have stopped at Arena, because by offering the entire continent of Tamriel to the player, it was exploration to the nth degree (and it's also 20 years old).

I think I played for all of twenty minutes and gave up. It was way too big and repetitive. I guess that's what all the early FPS style games were like, like someone took a Wolfenstein 3D level and made it the size of a city. My first Elder Scrolls was Morrowind and that's the earliest I'll go.

But for only an initial investment of $60 and a $14.99 monthly fee, all of Tamriel* is free for you to explore in The Elder Scrolls Oline! All the beautiful ruins and mountains and forests and grasslands and villages and swamps and giant mushrooms and mountains and walking, yes, all the walking, it's all there! Explore explore explore!

*Some provinces not available at the onset, these will open up in the months to come as DLC, but you're good for it, right? That's more explore explore explore!

Nothing wrong with Skyrim's game design in my opinion. Bethesda RPGs are about the exploration.

Grand Theft Auto III featured a healthy dose of exploration, too. If all you needed in a Bethesda RPG was exploration, you could have stopped at Morrowind.

No, you could have stopped at Arena, because by offering the entire continent of Tamriel to the player, it was exploration to the nth degree (and it's also 20 years old).

GTA is all about the exploration. No one buys those games for their stories.

My first RPG was Fallout 3. I wanted more when I was done and discovered Oblivion.

Oblivion is one of the few I never completed

I probably would have if I started the console version right away, but it was the last game I bought for PC and most of time was trying to get it to run properly and got fed up with it