What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

It's odd there's only been 3 numbered Final Fantasy titles since the Playstation 2 era. FF 1-9 is like PS One era and before. You'd think they'd be cranking these out every year like Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty

There's been only a handful of JRPG's that utilize "current gen" level graphics (PS3/xbox360) in the past 8 years:

Final Fantasy 13

Star Ocean 4

Infinite Undiscovery

Resonance of Fate

The Last Remnant

Tales of Xillia

Ni No Kuni

that's about it...most of the rest have PS2 level graphics

so what's the graphic quality of the Vita, slightly above PS2 but lower than PS3?

Can you play Vita on a big screen TV with the PS4?

On 4/2/2014 at 7:45 PM, king mark said:

It's odd there's only been 3 numbered Final Fantasy titles since the Playstation 2 era. FF 1-9 is like PS One era and before. You'd think they'd be cranking these out every year like Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty

Well they've always done things in threes, three numbered FF games in each generation.

Final Fantasy 1-3 were for the NES (Though 1 & 2 were re-made with SNES level graphics, and that's available on PS1, GBA, PSP, and various mobile platforms, while FF3 was remade with polygon graphics for the NDS and that's been ported to mobile platforms too)

Final Fantasy 4-6 were for the SNES, and all have been ported to PS1 and GBA. IV also a polygon remake on the NDS, and later also go another make-over on the PSP.

Final Fantasy 7-9 were for the PS1, and are kind of the "lost" ones, they have never been ported or redone or remastered to a later console; They've just made the original versions available on PSN and Steam.

Final Fantasy 10-12 were for the PS2, though 11 was a clusterfuck of an online game that no one really liked. 10 as you know got the HD remaster for PS3 and PSP Vita, and 11 was also available on Xbox360. I expect an HD remaster of 12 will come out eventually, but they might do a remake of 7 first.

Final Fantasy 13-15 was supposed to be the trilogy for PS3, but 15 kept getting delayed and delayed and now it's a PS4 title. 13 came out on PS3 and Xbox360, and 14 was another online game that failed even more than 11. They had to practically re-do the whole game from scratch and it didn't come out until three years after the original version of 14.

so what's the graphic quality of the Vita, slightly above PS2 but lower than PS3?

Can you play Vita on a big screen TV with the PS4?

Well I haven't got it yet, but I've been looking up what games to get and accessories to buy, etc. They're coming out with a Slim model that will be out sometime in May (the release date keeps getting pushed around). I've got the Borderlands 2 bundle pre-ordered on Amazon. What finally got me to drop the money for one was the mass amount of games I've accumulated over PS+ over the past couple years. I downloaded the free Vita games just in case I ever got one, so now I have plenty to dive in to from day one.

From my understanding it matches the PS3 at its best. You can play PS4 and PS3 games on the Vita via Remote Play but not the other way around, no. But apparently the PSP was like this at first and Sony later added it as a feature. Maybe they'll do it for the Vita too. This new Slim model has an LCD screen versus the older one's OLED. People are saying the difference in quality is a huge drop but I can't imagine it being that bad. Plus the added hours on the battery life is the main attraction.

On 4/2/2014 at 11:02 PM, Jason LeBlanc said:
On 4/2/2014 at 7:45 PM, king mark said:

Well they've always done things in threes, three numbered FF games in each generation.

Final Fantasy 1-3 were for the NES (Though 1 & 2 were re-made with SNES level graphics, and that's available on PS1, GBA, PSP, and various mobile platforms, while FF3 was remade with polygon graphics for the NDS and that's been ported to mobile platforms too)

Final Fantasy 4-6 were for the SNES, and all have been ported to PS1 and GBA. IV also a polygon remake on the NDS, and later also go another make-over on the PSP.

Final Fantasy 7-9 were for the PS1, and are kind of the "lost" ones, they have never been ported or redone or remastered to a later console; They've just made the original versions available on PSN and Steam.

Final Fantasy 10-12 were for the PS2, though 11 was a clusterfuck of an online game that no one really liked. 10 as you know got the HD remaster for PS3 and PSP Vita, and 11 was also available on Xbox360. I expect an HD remaster of 12 will come out eventually, but they might do a remake of 7 first.

Final Fantasy 13-15 was supposed to be the trilogy for PS3, but 15 kept getting delayed and delayed and now it's a PS4 title. 13 came out on PS3 and Xbox360, and 14 was another online game that failed even more than 11. They had to practically re-do the whole game from scratch and it didn't come out until three years after the original version of 14.

I'd like them to do a HD remaster of FF12, that looks like the most interesting one. The other ones look too archaic gameplay wise, so they'd have to completely re make them with modern environments

Many people consider FF7 to be the best FF game (and many consider it to be the best game of all time period). Square continues to leave money on the table be not remaking it in HD. I dunno what they are thinking

VII is one of my favorite games of all time but considering the state that Square is in currently I don't really want them to do it. I'm sure they would screw it up in some way, especially after the recent VII tie-in games they've done and the Advent Children movie.

Well it seems that the developer from the Uncharted games that left the company and franchise went to EA and is developing a Star Wars game.

Cool news, i suppose :)

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Uncharted_Creative_Director_Joining_EA_To_Direct_Viscerals_Star_Wars_Game_157234.asp

I don't know if I want to try to get good at Blitzball in FFX . Seems like a complete sports game within the game and the rules seem incredibly confusing

I'm about 15 hours into the game and still haunted by having to choose between " normal sphere grid" and "expert sphere grid" for character advancement at the beginning of the game without having a clue to what really is the best option (even after reading online forums)

Been playing lots of Skyrim on the last couple of days -I finally have a computer that can run it- and I must say I am quite amazed. I was expecting a simple but entertaining fantasy game and I got so much more, especially now that I've completed the first Elder Scroll mission up to the battle with Alduin. Everything from the ascension to the mountain, the talk with Paarthurnax, the exploration through the endless Dwarven mines, the impossible fights with the Falmers and trying to sneak past them, that weird but amazing world filled with floating jellyfish and up to the heart-pounding confrontantion with Alduin was pure perfection. I love to explore abandoned ruins both in games and in real life that keep me wondering what that place was before ending up abandoned, I feel something like that says so much and so little and the same time, and I love that. But here, the Dwarven mines blew my mind. I've never seen or expected anything like this in any game, it was truly amazing for me.

I'm completely hooked by this game.

I don't know why everyone hated FF13 because it was linear. FFX is even more linear

One of the reasons I prefer FF4 to FF6 (even though both are masterpieces) is that FF4 is more linear. Nothing wrong with a linear RPG at all.

Been playing lots of Skyrim on the last couple of days -I finally have a computer that can run it- and I must say I am quite amazed. I was expecting a simple but entertaining fantasy game and I got so much more, especially now that I've completed the first Elder Scroll mission up to the battle with Alduin. Everything from the ascension to the mountain, the talk with Paarthurnax, the exploration through the endless Dwarven mines, the impossible fights with the Falmers and trying to sneak past them, that weird but amazing world filled with floating jellyfish and up to the heart-pounding confrontantion with Alduin was pure perfection. I love to explore abandoned ruins both in games and in real life that keep me wondering what that place was before ending up abandoned, I feel something like that says so much and so little and the same time, and I love that. But here, the Dwarven mines blew my mind. I've never seen or expected anything like this in any game, it was truly amazing for me.

I'm completely hooked by this game.

Yeah, it's great. Have you ever played Fallout 3 or New Vegas? Same style of gameplay except in a post-apocalyptic DC and Nevada, respectively. The former being my favorite game of all time. That experience was so great that I wish I could have it erased from my memory so I could relive it.

Yeah, it's great. Have you ever played Fallout 3 or New Vegas? Same style of gameplay except in a post-apocalyptic DC and Nevada, respectively. The former being my favorite game of all time. That experience was so great that I wish I could have it erased from my memory so I could relive it.

Haven't played them but they sound so cool! I'll check them out, thanks!

There's just something about being able to scrounge the ruins of my hometown in a video game that's extremely appealing. As I'm sure you're familiar with the open world size of Skyrim and its nooks and crannies, the same applies for these two. Want to explore the Capitol or the Washington Monument? You can.

How so? In terms of story?

Obsidian really fucked up New Vegas to the point that it's unplayable on console. Fallout 3 will always prevail in that it was my first Fallout, and the Capitol Wasteland is far more interesting.

Hardware glitches, unbalanced and restricting map, and unplayability when patches stop aside, the world in New Vegas feels like there's more consequences to actions. The main factions aren't necessarily evil as you can join them and work them against each other. In the Capital Wasteland, aside from how you deal with Megaton and Tenpenny Tower, most of your choices come down to karma. The Enclave is always going to be evil, for example. The morality system and quest lines are more complex in the Mojave, which I prefer. I also like the greater variety of fauna and loot over DC. I do get that you like exploring your backyard, and that was neat when I played it, but there were too many episodic buildings in FO3 that didn't impact the overall world as much as in NV, like the Dunwich building and Oasis.

I do miss crafting the dart gun to cripple deathclaws, but that just forces me to use VATS better in NV.

Obsidian did to New Vegas the same thing they did to KOTOR: an over-ambitious sequel that was rushed out the door that eclipsed the original without feeling complete or stable. In this case, I prefer the Obsidian game.

I can agree with that. NV is by far the most complex game I've played in terms of decision making. They really nailed it, in that nothing is really back-and-white, and things that seem like the right thing to do end up backfiring once it's too late to do anything about it. The DLC's were fantastic despite the insane amount of lag and glitches they brought onto the whole game. I love both games, of course, but 3 just has that special something that made it more of a personal revelation for me.

Eagerly awaiting 4.

I don't know why everyone hated FF13 because it was linear. FFX is even more linear

One of the reasons I prefer FF4 to FF6 (even though both are masterpieces) is that FF4 is more linear. Nothing wrong with a linear RPG at all.

I have no problems with it either, although at some point in the game I do like a bit of freedom to move around on the map.

The main problem with Final Fantasy 13 to me was the story. It was way too convoluted. I had to read the codex entries a few times to understand anything and it didn;t make much sense.. FFX is pretty straightforward

I can agree with that. NV is by far the most complex game I've played in terms of decision making. They really nailed it, in that nothing is really back-and-white, and things that seem like the right thing to do end up backfiring once it's too late to do anything about it.

yeah, although I did manage to get everyone as my allies (except the roman guys) and choose the ending I wanted

The combat system is the biggest flaw of the Bethesa games, and that the dungeons/caves all look the same after playing long enough

I wait for a huge open world game with Dark Souls quality type combat (the Souls games are semi-open world and areas feel more like levels than portions of a big world)

In the end, Oblivion, Morrowind, Skyrim, Fallout 3,and New Vegas are all the same game.

And I'm okay with that. Don't fix what isn't broken, aside from the technical aspect of things. Fallout 4 on PS4 so I can die happy.

yeah, Steef, some people play videogames, others watch old Star Trek episodes.

By the way FF-X is awesome, I can see why these games are so highly regarded. The story in some JRPG's have a way of affecting you in like no other games. The scene where Tidus interrupts Yuna's wedding is just beautifully realized, and the music too.

FEZ

An old school mentality with a bag of new tricks. There's no detailed story, really. You're a kid named Gomez that lives in a 2D world, and you learn that the fabric of the universe is being torn apart and that it will ultimately be destroyed unless you find all the scattered pieces of a 3D cube that exploded. You receive a magic fez that lets you alter your 2D perspectives, which leads to some cool Portal like puzzle solving. Tough riddle-solving and fun aesthetics made this one a steal at $10. I still haven't found all the collectibles despite finishing the "story," but my New Game+ granted me first person glasses, so you can scan the pixelated environment in 3D, which looks amazing.

Fez must be cool. I picked up a Humble Bundle just for it, but I still haven't played it...

The story of how it was created is pretty dramatic though. There's an excellent documentary called Indie Game: The Movie which highlights it as one of its stories (the game wasn't yet finished when the documentary was filmed).

I resumed my second playthrough of Half Life 2 last night. I beat the game once when I got it almost ten years ago, and started another playthrough about two years ago. Well Steam remembered my progress even though I formatted the machine since then, and I was able to resume, completing the canal and going to Ravenholm. But I didn't know about the Easter egg Vortigaunt at the dam, or that you can carry Dog's ball through and it kills zombies easily. So I may restart that save game anyways. I'm surprised the poison zombies no longer scare the crap out of me.

I can't believe Blume didn't jump on this, but Firaxis is revisiting the idea of their classic 1999 "Alpha Centauri" with Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/12/firaxis-revisits-alpha-centauri-territory-with-civilization-beyond-earth

I deliberately skipped Civ V, but this is worth a look.

Further proof that idiots that play Candy Crush are running gaming for everyone

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/14/the-future-of-games-is-free-to-play-says-candy-crush-developer

It's thinking like that that lead to the near disaster of Xboxone last year.When will they learn real gamers don't want gimmics or be exploited

Well looks at this way, it will only succeed if consumers... er, consume it. Microsofts "always online" model that planned on killing the used game market utterly failed. The backlash was so strong that they completely overturned a year's worth of advertising and groundwork overnight. They'll do what sells. I'm not completely opposed to the free-to-play model, because there is a balance to be had. If a publisher and developer made the gaming experience worth continuous payments, I'd be onboard. But so far I haven't seen anything come close. The subscription model is in the same boat.

Well it's fine for those crap online ipad games since I don't play them .Candy Crush is the equivalent of slot machine addiction so it's basically evil

But if I HAVE to "buy" an item to beat a RPG like Dragon Age , that would be unacceptable (I mean a key item, not DLC armor/weapon packs that already exist and are optional)

I finished Final Fantasy X. It was pretty good overall, and as I said seems the "template" for most modern JRPG's to come afterwards. It had a few great moments in the story too.

I have optional bosses to do but it would take a hundred hours of stat maxing. Also to get the "ultimate weapons" for everyone, you have to do some extremely difficult reflex mini-games I am unable to do (like dodging a lightning bolt 200 times in a row...I got to 5) ...so maybe I'll just start FFX-2 instead (included in the package)

Well it's fine for those crap online ipad games since I don't play them .Candy Crush is the equivalent of slot machine addiction so it's basically evil

But if I HAVE to "buy" an item to beat a RPG like Dragon Age , that would be unacceptable (I mean a key item, not DLC armor/weapon packs that already exist and are optional)

And it will almost certainly never get to that point.

One of the best composer's in games and my own personal favourite, Marty O'Donnell, has been fired "without cause" from Bungie. :(

I was really looking forward to his guaranteed to be great Destiny score and I'm not sure what this means for his work on that title. He'd even collaborated with Paul McCartney on it. Either way, the natural progression for his strong musical talents would be to move into film scoring. He's better than most working in that industry today and has his own distinct style and to be frank he would be my choice to work with Spielberg when the time comes.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-16-veteran-halo-composer-fired-from-bungie

KM, listen beyond its 40 second Zimmeresque intro.

Really? Beyond the 40 second mark I hear pure Goldsmith with a modern twist. Nothing like the Zimmer style intro (which I suspect was a concession to marketing).

And the parts with the rustic horns and strings in this piece have strong echoes of Williamsesque Americana:

I love that O'Donnell's style is difficult to pin down. He's as happy in abstract synth as he is in traditional melodic orchestration, sometimes merging the two. Other times not.

The cue is only 100 seconds, Quint ;) After the 40 seconds it changes slightly for 20 and goes back to what it was before.

Is this officially for Destiny though? I know nothing of the game and have only seen a bit of the E3 material last year. The music sounds enjoyable, but to my ears it has a heavy Transformers temp.