What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

The thing with the movie title thread was, it had run its course, it was the same movies being posted over and over again. And Quint posted 2 that he had just posted days or weeks before. it was bordering on pointless thread count padding, which is frowned upon on this board. After I gave the warning about all that, people purposely did it again, which may have seemed funny to them, but is also a direct attack on a mod decision - which wasn't even a decision or mandate, just a request to stop re-using titles you can just used the other day. So I locked it.

As for the Walking Dead and Breaking Bad posts, I was going to move them back but Quint up and left instead *shrug*

I do agree overall I have been too move-post-y lately, and will back off on that behavior.

threads that the moderator created specifically for that subject.

Woah now, I didn't create the Walking Dead thread, Blume did. Read his first post in that thread - he was trying to encourage more discussion about the show he liked. Is it really that odd, then, that I would move a post about the Walking Dead into that thread?

I did create the Breaking Bad thread, designed to be a space people could discuss the final season as it aired openly without cluttering up the TV thread with a ton of spoiler-blocked posts. I agree moving Quint's post about BReaking Bad's blu ray into that was kind of pointless, but in the end is it really that big of a fucking deal? It's a bizarro situation this is even being discussed in detail, honestly.

Today I lifted the green box that contains the Xbox One ... it was heavy.

So you can't play 360 games on it?!

Correct. The Xbox One is not backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games, unlike how the Xbox 360 supported a select number of original Xbox games.

That was a dumb idea on Microsoft's part. It wouldn't really be that hard to be backwards compatible, pity they didn't think it was worth the effort.

It's a shrewd business decision meant to promote revenue. It's inherently wasteful but it promotes the idea that the new console is a significant improvement.

Rich

I honestly think they would generate more revenue by being backwards compatible, but I see how a corporate exec could think along the other lines.

It's also not without precedent. Cartridge based systems lacked backwards compatibility because the connectors were physically different. The current paradigm doesn't want to use disc and download based games as a crutch to force backwards compatibility.

I'm not much of an xbox guy (though the Halo games I've played are great), but there are plenty of games released for the four Playstation sysems over the years that I would like to play one day. It would be cool if I could buy one machine that would allow me to do that, but that will never happen (legally).

I do agree overall I have been too move-post-y lately, and will back off on that behavior.

Very nice, thank you.

I agree moving Quint's post about BReaking Bad's blu ray into that was kind of pointless, but in the end is it really that big of a fucking deal? It's a bizarro situation this is even being discussed in detail, honestly.

In a way I agree.

But I dont know if you are aware that your moderation do encounter more criticism from members then that of Marc or Neil. I'm not saying they did things better or worse, certainly different.

But anyway, Quint, a longstanding member, did decide to leave.

And I'll genuinely miss him.

Unless the little toss pot is being a drama queen again and he's back next week, then he can go screw himself!

Yea, if I have lead to any regulars leaving the site that's a bad thing, and time for me to change!

I'm not much of an xbox guy (though the Halo games I've played are great), but there are plenty of games released for the four Playstation sysems over the years that I would like to play one day. It would be cool if I could buy one machine that would allow me to do that, but that will never happen (legally).

Well PlayStation Now is currently in private beta form (I was lucky to be invited), which theoretically will allow you play any and all PlayStation games on a wide variety of consoles and handheld devices. Upon its official release this Summer, it will only be focusing on PS3 and PS4 games.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

This prologue to The Phantom Pain works much in the same way that the Tanker mission did in Sons Of Liberty. It's short, very short for someone looking for a single run, but what makes this little game fantastic is its replay value. Kojima really evolved the Metal Gear aesthetic with this one. Its sandbox design and refined controls make this one of the most involving games in the franchise, which is saying a lot for what is essentially a teaser. While there's an ever present run-and-gun option, the pressure to be true to the series' core of going in undetected is greater. And doing so is more difficult than ever. Enemy AI is pretty superb from what I could gather. They can spot you from very long distances, and are smart to alert others of what they saw before investigating your last position. I've been trying to do no-alert no-kill play throughs to no avail, but it never feels like the game's fault. Apart from the main Ground Zeroes mission, there are 5 side ops that offer varying situations of the same sandbox area. The PS3 and PS4 versions offer a wealth of easter eggs and a bonus mission relating to previous games.

I can't imagine how long it'd take me to invest 100 hours into a game now. Having a woman really eats into my video game time, but the sex is a nice tradeoff.

Rich

Buddy of mine brought his Xbox One over to show me Titanfall. Servers have been down since at least before six when we started, but now we're in.

Rich

Blech. I am no good using a damn game pad to play a first person shooter. Thing is, I don't even want to practice to "get better." It's so disjointed, it's not any fun.

Rich

Controller is fine if that's all you learned with. I've been keyboard-mouse for probably 19 years now, numpad for the first half and WASD presently. I have no interest in learning a new system because my brain already accepts that putting the look function on the right stick with the fire button on a separate button is too awkward to get used to. I simply got used to moving the fire and aim buttons with my Z-axis control on the mouse, and I'm rather good at it.

I don't think Titanfall is anything special. The graphics are pretty nice, I guess, but the gameplay is so frenetic they go by in a blur. There's no time to appreciate them except for the opening cutscene. I guess that's what these console shooters are about though. I dunno. I guess I prefer single player games where only the game makes me feel bad for not being any good, not the 12 year olds, the college flunk outs, and the others who devote their whole lives to a better kill death ratio.

Rich

I prefer single player games where only the game makes me feel bad for not being any good, not the 12 year olds, the college flunk outs, and the others who devote their whole lives to a better kill death ratio.

Rich

Totally agree!

Controller is fine if that's all you learned with. I've been keyboard-mouse for probably 19 years now, numpad for the first half and WASD presently. I have no interest in learning a new system because my brain already accepts that putting the look function on the right stick with the fire button on a separate button is too awkward to get used to. I simply got used to moving the fire and aim buttons with my Z-axis control on the mouse, and I'm rather good at it.

I don't think Titanfall is anything special. The graphics are pretty nice, I guess, but the gameplay is so frenetic they go by in a blur. There's no time to appreciate them except for the opening cutscene. I guess that's what these console shooters are about though. I dunno. I guess I prefer single player games where only the game makes me feel bad for not being any good, not the 12 year olds, the college flunk outs, and the others who devote their whole lives to a better kill death ratio.

Rich

Well I'm of the opposite situation. I grew up with the home console. Had an SNES before any kind of PC and never got into any deep PC games before N64 and PlayStation rolled around. Used to play stuff like Carmen San Diego and other point-and-click games. I also loathe playing games while sitting at a desk, laid back on the couch is more comfortable for me. I understand PC gaming has come a long way from that, but there are simply more options and variety on a console, in my opinion.

it's just aiming I have problems with a controller

I played a few single player shooters and I don't totally suck but I never felt like I 100% master joytsick aiming after 5 years owning an xbox360. I'd get beat easily with online play

I used to play the Carmen Sandiego games, they were fun.

I appreciate that you grew up with consoles and learned their controllers first. My first games weren't on the PC, though, they were the Atari 2600, the NES, and the GameBoy (and Genesis).

But those console controllers were extremely simple and none had three dimensional games that I got into. They offered side scrollers. I don't think any consoles had first person shooters until Goldeneye but I never played it nor owned any console system again until I bought the Wii.

I really don't see how consoles have more options than a PC, I really don't. Aside from a select few console-specific franchises (Uncharted maybe? Red Dead Redemption) , most console games arrive on PC, so they can be played with a game pad. And modern PCs are easily connected to a computer via HDMI cable, and they do sell wireless keyboards, mice, and game pads to play from across the room on the couch. Variety of games ends when the game console manufacturer decides that old games are incompatible or will not be updated for the next generation, or the servers will be shut down.

Simplicity, convenience, great multi-player support, company devotion, mainstream coverage, and hacking suppression? Sure, the consoles have those benefits that PCs find it hard to compete with. But my PC can play any game I ever owned. It wins the variety debate.

Rich

I prefer to play with gamepad 3rd person adventures like tomb raider (i played all with keyboard until legend, though) and hack and slash games.

FPS, mouse + keyboard, no other option for me.

Flight games, joystick preferable, but i can also use a gamepad

I tried the Arkham games with keyboard and mouse, they were incoherent button mashers. A game pad makes the game play elegant, and at that point, the difference between the console and PC is negligible.

Rich

I used to play the Carmen Sandiego games, they were fun.

I appreciate that you grew up with consoles and learned their controllers first. My first games weren't on the PC, though, they were the Atari 2600, the NES, and the GameBoy (and Genesis).

But those console controllers were extremely simple and none had three dimensional games that I got into. They offered side scrollers. I don't think any consoles had first person shooters until Goldeneye but I never played it nor owned any console system again until I bought the Wii.

I really don't see how consoles have more options than a PC, I really don't. Aside from a select few console-specific franchises (Uncharted maybe? Red Dead Redemption) , most console games arrive on PC, so they can be played with a game pad. And modern PCs are easily connected to a computer via HDMI cable, and they do sell wireless keyboards, mice, and game pads to play from across the room on the couch. Variety of games ends when the game console manufacturer decides that old games are incompatible or will not be updated for the next generation, or the servers will be shut down.

Simplicity, convenience, great multi-player support, company devotion, mainstream coverage, and hacking suppression? Sure, the consoles have those benefits that PCs find it hard to compete with. But my PC can play any game I ever owned. It wins the variety debate.

Rich

That's everything I meant when I said PCs have "come a long way" but the console set-up is still my preferred option, largely because of the console-exclusives you spoke of and the online community I've developed since the launch of PS3. I've been playing with some people for 8 years. I'll freely admit that brand loyalty is a big part of it too. Sony's in-house developers have produced some of my favorite games of all time.

I beat the Ancient Dragon, the toughest boss in Dark Souls 2. I'm not even sure he was meant to be taken on solo

Epic fight. It took me 4-5 hours of trying and dying .His flying fire breath attack covers 90% of the arena and one shots you , and then he'll usually land on you if you somehow survived. I practiced for a long time how to narrowly avoid him failing miserably most of the time. It was the first time I was prepared to give up , but in the last fight I managed to get his health down to 1/4 somehow....then my sword broke. I then had to rely on spells that got me killed in all previous attempts, using my staff from the other hand which I never do . It still managed to get him by a hair just before almost dying myself

It's one of those videogame RPG battles that you remember for years to come.

When you make a PSN account for the PS4, do you have to give a credit card number right off the bat (even if you don't want to buy anything) , or you can wait?

Well, I started Final Fantasy X HD Re-master. Story seems compelling so far. Too bad about the fixed camera environments and random battles, but I guess that's the way it was back then.

Thief

Decided to pick up a used copy to keep me busy until Watch Dogs at the end of May. I feel like Wojo would love this game, it's essentially just looting the shit out of everything. The controls and UI are a bit clunky and regressive but it's entertaining enough if one is looking for something less engaging. Story and characters are beyond weak, but again, it's more about staying undetected and stealing as much as you can.

Well yea, that's the way it was for decades until technology allowed them to do more

At least it has 3D animated curtscenes .Lots of JRPG's still have static 2D models (talking heads) for in game skits

What would make me happy is that they release everything for consoles and not the friggen 3DS and Playstation Vita mobile gaming.There's like an endless sea of RPG's for the Vita right now.