What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

I finish almost every game I play actually and only really ever lose interest in the bloated RPGs and poorly paced whatever else. Like movies, I hate padding. The one game which is on hold midway is Skyrim.

I finish the games I enjoy playing and actually want to finish. If I feel a game starts to get boring or too frustrating, then I'm under no obligation to waste my time just to get to the end credits.

If a game outstays its welcome, becomes a chore, a slog, I'll jib it off.

Like I did with Far Cry 3 after the huge island turned out to be merely one of two. Tomb Raider almost met the criteria too, but I pushed on knowing the finish line was only an hour or so away. Poor pacing is a killer for me.

I love exploration for real goals, and even for exploration's sake, but when the mission is a breadcrumb one with a useless trinket or trophy at the end I'd rather just ignore it and continue on my way towards the end game.

Well to be fair, finding the collectibles was your main source of XP which allowed you to unlock certain moves and upgrade Lara.

But they were completely superficial and not required to complete the campaign. I levelled her to a certain point and then just pushed on without worrying about it. If I remember rightly one of Eurogamer's biggest criticisms was that TR had far too much in the way of redundant and intrusive collectables - which constantly reminded the player that they were indeed just gaming; and not really adventuring/surviving as implied, at all. I agreed.

Edit: Basically, this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-25-tomb-raider-review

I feel that way about almost all collectibles in games. The fun as hell athletics orbs in the original Crackdown are possibly one of the few exceptions, along with the wonderfully alluring bits and bobs found in (of all things) the open world Toy Story game of a few years ago.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. Only a few games really nail it down. I liked them in The Last Of Us, for example, because all those little notes and pages had wonderful backstory to what happened in that world. Nice little anecdotes and vignettes that brought the universe to life.

Yes, narrative expansion 'collectibles' can be worthwhile in the rare cases where they're written decently. Halo: ODST's "Sadie's Story" is probably the best example I've encountered, the sketched storyboard style accompanied by pretty evocatively designed audio recordings really sold an interesting story and they hooked me enough to want to seek them all out and find out the fate of the girl caught up in the invasion. That is an extremely rare occurrence for me.

The comic book pages and other extras didn't grab me at all in The Last of Us and I didn't read them. But the main story is untouchable!

The comic book pages and other extras didn't grab me at all in The Last of Us and I didn't read them. But the main story is untouchable!

Yeah there were the typical collectibles like the firefly pendants, but the notes were the ones that had stories and Joel and Ellie would have a quick small talk about them once found. Did you ever dig around Ellie's backpack once you reach the Winter chapter? There's a note from her mother and Riley's pendant on which she comments.

The trailer for the new Batman game. Rocksteady is back in the game:

Can't wait - those are about the only games I enjoy. Apparently, we'll be able to drive Batmobile.

Karol

Yup, here's the official statement:

In the explosive finale to the Arkham series, Batman faces the ultimate threat against the city he is sworn to protect. The Scarecrow returns to unite an impressive roster of super villains, including Penguin, Two-Face and Harley Quinn, to destroy The Dark Knight forever. Batman: Arkham Knight introduces Rocksteady's uniquely designed version of the Batmobile, which is drivable for the first time in the franchise. The addition of this legendary vehicle, combined with the acclaimed gameplay of the Batman Arkham series, offers gamers the ultimate and complete Batman experience as they tear through the streets and soar across the skyline of the entirety of Gotham City.

Karol

It's on par with the other two for me. Lots of people apparently had buggy issues with it but on pc I had none.

PS4 and XBOne don't run at 60fps?

Yes they do but it's highly unlikely a large sandbox world will run at that frame rate and so it's a dead cert to be locked to 30fps.

hmmm looks cool :)

i like how this franchise has merged the nolan universe with the older universe from comics and films.

I think the result is the best of all.

Batman looked a little like ben affleck when he was younger...

I didn't get a chance to check out Origins yet.

Karol

It's decent but not as good as the other two. It didn't play as smoothly and precisely for me and much of it was a rehash of City. Some interesting character writing, though.

Hmm, that's pretty sad, especially if she didn't want to go. I always considered her writing pretty key in the success of Uncharted.

New free maps for Killzone today whoop!

It's funny how they seem to completely discredit the previous chapter, as if it never happened. They call it a "trilogy".

And good to see Kevin Conroy back.

Karol

South Park: The Stick of Truth came out yesterday and is getting pretty good reviews. I want it, but not for the full $60, nor even with Green Man Gaming's 25% off coupon. Steam sale I guess.

It's funny how they seem to completely discredit the previous chapter, as if it never happened. They call it a "trilogy".

And good to see Kevin Conroy back.

Karol

Origins was a different dev and a prequel.

South Park: The Stick of Truth came out yesterday and is getting pretty good reviews. I want it, but not for the full $60, nor even with Green Man Gaming's 25% off coupon. Steam sale I guess.

It's possible to get it for £25 here, which is far too alluring for me to resist. The game is supposed to be hilarious.

But dat games backlog...

I'm making a concerted effort to clean up my music collection, which basically means sorting the last four years of CD purchases I haven't listened to. I don't want to even think about games for a while.

I bought Dark Souls 2 at full price today. I would have waited for the first discount price but I caved in

If I play something else now I'll keep thinking about playing Dark Souls 2

No, even among RPG's this is special

the last great one I played is Dragon's Dogma

I have a question about the PS4

Do I HAVE to get a PSN account to get the game patches and console updates (did not have to with PS3)

You managed to go the entire last gen without a PSN account? I thought you said you actually bought the Dark Souls DLC? Don't you need an account to access the PS Store?

Either way, I'm sure the answer to your question is yes, but why is that an issue? Dark Souls 2 looks fantastic, but will again be impossibly difficult so I will pass on it. This time around your max health decreases every time you die, as if the enemies getting stronger wasn't enough.

Titanfall looks like a failed opportunity in its player limits and barebones game modes and customization. I mean, it's an online-only game. No excuse for it really. I guess waiting out for the sequel on PS4 will be the better option instead of my only option.

I was playing it last night, it's fun and I couldn't care less about the lack of single player story mode, I wish Battlefield and Killzone would take the same route next time and just concentrate on pouring all effort in to multiplayer polish and refinement. The only issue I have at the moment is the horrible team balancing, which wasn't a problem in the beta. I hope they sort it out.

You managed to go the entire last gen without a PSN account? I thought you said you actually bought the Dark Souls DLC? Don't you need an account to access the PS Store?

Either way, I'm sure the answer to your question is yes, but why is that an issue? Dark Souls 2 looks fantastic, but will again be impossibly difficult so I will pass on it. This time around your max health decreases every time you die, as if the enemies getting stronger wasn't enough.

Titanfall looks like a failed opportunity in its player limits and barebones game modes and customization. I mean, it's an online-only game. No excuse for it really. I guess waiting out for the sequel on PS4 will be the better option instead of my only option.

yeah, I have a MS account so I was buying DLC's for the xbox360. I played mostly JRPG exclusives on the PS3 that didn't have DLC's so I never needed a PSN account

Dark Souls 2 just sucked me in 7 hours straight. I just explored the beginning areas and building my character a bit. The health bar penalty is a bit like Demon's Souls. ..it does make things harder

The visuals look noticeably dated though. The environments so far remind me more of Dragon's Dogma than Dark Souls 1 but with lower resolution textures

Titanfall is, as expected, really bloody good. I'd say it lives up to the hype in many ways; at least in the short term. MS have a system seller at last, but it still won't be enough - since plenty of PS4 owners such as myself have possibly just bought it for PC instead, where a controller (in this game) is more viable than ever.

I'm currently spoilt for choice with my FPS needs!

Titanfall looks like a failed opportunity in its player limits and barebones game modes and customization.

This is a drastically wrong presumption, Koray. The game is the exact opposite of a failed opportunity. Check the reaction online: it's positively ecstatic, and although I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and the hype train is veering out of control, I can still objectively surmise from a good play of it that it really is tight and FRESH as fuck. It deserves the 8s and to some extent, the 9s.

I say that as someone who quietly welcomed its failure.

You know me and CoD...

The systems and mechanics in Titanfall have greater depth and emergence than anything found in CoD for my own money. Do you not own a laptop or basic pc? Because the game scales well across the board and I know for a fact this game has Koray Savas fps written all over it ;)

The enemies don't re-spawn in Dark Souls 2 after killing them a certain number of times and you can fast travel from the beginning of the game

I think that might make the game more accessible to some players and some people see it as a downgrade, but limited re-spawn also means you can screw up your game if you keep losing your souls by dying twice in a row, because souls are used to level up and you really need it for some bosses.

So far I find the overall game easier than the first, but bosses are hard...took me an hour of trial and error to take one down last night