GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

I think the overall composition of the season is fairly evident now - there are four major storyline blocks (The Wall, The North, King's Landing, Meereen) each of which should come in within the range of 80 - 120 minutes of screen time, and three satellite strands (Braavos, Dorne, Tyrion's Journey) which look set to amount to about 40 - 50 minutes each (possibly even a tad less for Dorne). I think it's too early to assess the Dorne segment (and, in particular, the Doran character). It seems as though the main substance of this storyline will be weighted towards the later half of the season and centered around the mission of Jaime and Bronn, who have yet to come into contact with the main Dornish players. Out of the seven of the season's story blocks, though, it's definitely the one I feel most dubious about.

...the major event of the season...

I'm not sure that we should expect this season's climax to be defined by a single event, in the way that Seasons 1, 2 and 3 were, or that it will be concentrated in Episode 9. I'm pretty sure that there'll be major stuff happening at least from Episode 8.

(I think that the leaked Episode 9 title was in fact "The Dance of Dragons", and an insider was reported to have said that it has more than one interpretation.)

Depends on what you call "major". If it were up to you, I'm sure you'd call everything that happened in the first 5 episodes of this season "major"!

Robin Arryn training at swordsmanship. Game changer!

The TV show is its own thing now. Book readers are in the dark too!

By the end of this season, they definitely will be!

Even at this stage, predictions are difficult, due to the way storylines have gone beyond their book counterparts, or been contracted or combined, or simply changed altogether. Even with those which are still sticking pretty close to the book material, there's uncertainty as to what will end up being shown due to the way A Dance with Dragons ends in a cliffhangery way for practically every storyline. A Storm of Swords ends with the feeling of having come to the end of an Act (if not exactly closure), but A Dance with Dragons cuts out just as everything is about to kick off. I rather expect the show (Season 5) to end with a greater sense of clarity as to what's going on in some of the main storylines.

After watching Episode 5, I assumed the big Episode 9 battle would be The Battle of Winterfell.

I doubt there'll be a battle of Winterfell.

Why?

They are clearly setting up a big battle between House Bolton and House (Stannis) Baratheon at Winterfell. Someone will die during it - maybe Stannis's wife or daughter, maybe Melisandre, maybe Theon or Ramsay.

The only "major character" in Season 4's episode 9 battle was Jon Snow, and they still gave a whole episode to the battle.

I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for The Battle of Winterfell.

Exactly, which is why the writers will have her play an important role in The Battle of Winterfell.

I think Sansa will kill Theon too. I wonder if Theon is so deluded now he actually thinks he killed Bran and Rickon, or if he remembers the truth and will tell Sansa they're alive.

I fear he's only alive on the show because George RR Martin hasn't killed him off in the books yet. I know that hasn't stopped them from killing other characters still alive in the books (Jojen and Barristan), but maybe he told them he plays a role in Book 6 or something. Ah, who the hell knows.

I don't think there'll be a battle at Winterfell - nothing on the Blackwater or Castle Black scale. We'd have heard about it in the promotional material. And there are too many things that have to happen in other storylines.

I've no idea whether a battle will be averted altogether, or left looming for Season 6. Maybe Brienne will get an opportunity to kill Stannis and end his campaign in one fell swoop! Or maybe the point of Brienne's story is the inner conflict she would be faced with in fighting Stannis as opposed to the Boltons, who were among the Cat killers. Might she have to forfeit her desire to avenge Renly?

Also, since they were renewed for Season 5 and Season 6 at the same time, they can move money around and have less "big" stuff happen in Season 5 and then have more "big" stuff than usual in Season 6. This gives them the advantage of giving GRRM another year to write more stuff they can use in their "big" season.

Every season until now, they were not guaranteed they get another one and I am sure strived to make the best season they could. This is the first they know that no matter how this season is received by fans and HBO, there will be another one regardless. They can take more risks if they want to.

They seem to do Big Battles in Even Numbered Season' Episode 9s, and big shocking character deaths in the Odd Numbered Season's Episode 9s.

Nah. Season 1 and 3's Episode 9 were WTF episodes, but Season 2 and 4s were just big battles.

Last season's final episode was a tragedy! Tywin (For the Win) is now gone!!!

Last season's final episode was a tragedy! Tywin (For the Win) is now gone!!!

He's not gone! Not as long as we remember him! Nobody seems to, though...

I do! His brother will set things right! Kevan For the Win!

They should have cast Timothy Dalton as Kevan!

Hell yeah! I saw him in Penny Dreadful recently and he would have been awesome in this series. That guy has charisma!

But Kevan was always the nicer brother and Dalton might have seriously competed with Dance in the "baddest guy on the block" series. :lol:

I think that the climactic/shocking Episode 9 pattern is taken too seriously as a "rule" for the design of Game of Thrones seasons. If you consider the particular sections of material that were being adapted for Seasons 1, 2 and 3 - each of them having a clearly identifiable event serving as its climax and dwarfing the other dramatic highlights - it makes sense to have those climaxes in the penultimate episodes. It's not (surely?) that the writers started out with the arbitrary decree that their seasons would build up to a big event in the penultimate episode, and then went about refashioning the book material into that mould. Season 4 demonstrates that the pattern can be different when it suits the material (with its climaxes distributed across Episodes 8, 9 and 10), and I don't think that there's any reason (and certainly none based on the published material) to suppose that Season 5 will revert to the nonocentric framework of the early seasons; indeed, I think it's more likely to resemble Season 4 in this respect.

I'm thinking *maybe*

they'll have her replace Lady Stoneheart (so she will join the Brotherhood and kill the Freys, etc.). I also still believe it's possible Lady Stoneheart will in fact show up in the show, and is one well-kept secret!

That would be one hell of a well-kept secret and shocker for the season. Though she's

probably cut, it does seem notable that Benioff and Weiss haven't just come out and announced the fact straight up, rather than letting the constant speculation and subsequent disappointment (among large sections of the book fan base) continue season after season. Perhaps they could have her kill Roose Bolton (certainly a better target than some random Freys) and somehow have the Winterfell battle averted through the consequences of that.

Tywin for the win; Kevan for the van!

Tyrion for the ion.