GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

The music on the show sucks, but there are occasional good cues that sneak out every once and a while

Oh, and the opening title music is brilliant. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Stephen Warbeck was originally announced as the composer, but a few months before the premiere Djawadi was announced as his replacement.

Because he's cheap, quick, trendy and knows how to stay out of the way.

Stephen Warbeck was originally set to score this series. But he probably had too much of an opinion and vision for the producers' tastes.

EDIT: Dammit Jay!

On 4/21/2015 at 8:41 PM, KK. said:

The moment when the hissing started was especially chilling.

On 4/21/2015 at 8:42 PM, BloodBoal said:

I thought the hissing was a bit ridiculous.

I thought the hissing was great! A lot more intimidating than a round of booing would have been.

On 4/22/2015 at 9:29 AM, BloodBoal said:

If it wasn't for Gloin The Dark, this thread would be as good as dead!

I guess by Season 7 you'll have quit the thread too and it will just be me blathering on about how the White Walkers aren't the villains they're always made out to be...

On 4/22/2015 at 2:15 PM, Michael said:

Maybe it's because now that I've read the books I know where it's going...

I'm not so sure...the TV series is diverging more than ever from the books in this season. I don't think there's any thread of the story whose Season 5 conclusion I'm confident of, and a few of them are total mysteries.

On 4/22/2015 at 5:46 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

I saw a clip of the Lannisters (I think) questioning the Tyrion about a certain death at a certain wedding. At the end I recognised the Lannister theme, but it felt out of place to me and not matching the tone of the scene.

The trial scene? (That's the only one I can think of that fits your description; if not, ignore the rest of this comment!) In my opinion, that's one of the few occasions on which the score rises to true brilliance, and fits the scene perfectly. The scene itself is one of the best in the whole series so far, but I would imagine that it's difficult to appreciate as an isolated clip if you haven't seen what comes before. That moment is really the culmination of the character's storyline over the course of almost four seasons, and the climax achieves its impact as the resolution of a narrative cadence stretching all the way back to the first season. I would say: desist from watching clips and give Season 1 a go! And if it seems not to tickle your fancy at first, don't give up before you've watched at least five episodes, because it's around the middle that a lot of people first get hooked.

On 4/22/2015 at 5:46 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

What are thoughts on the violence in the show?

Given the setting, I think it's appropriate that there are lots of violent events in the story, and I'm glad that they're depicted gruesomely.

The fake brass rendition of the Baratheon theme that played in both royal weddings was incredibly offensive. It sounded like a GM synth from the 90s.

The music from 2:10.

Yeah, that was the scene I was talking about too.

The theme itself actually sounds quite heroic and uplifting to me.

Out of curiosity, what sort of mood or emotion would you ascribe to the underlying scene here (music aside)?

I'm more offended by Djawadi's music than I am by the gruesome depiction of violence, to be honest.

:lol:

Tension I'd say.

Yeah, that's certainly a feature of it. As for the score, I don't think that "heroic" is a term that I would associate with it personally, but if you do perceive it that way it's not entirely unsuited to the scene, which involves a mixture of different emotions. Tyrion's new-found resoluteness and refusal to compromise, scuppering his father's well laid plans, has a certain nihilistic heroism to it.

It's the same lady who allowed her brother (or whoever that guy was) get burnt to death by molten gold, now pretending to be some freedom bringing messiah!

I'm loath to appear tolerant of murder by molten gold coronation but, that said, the guy really was a total gobshite! Unfortunate though his demise was, it's difficult to place much of the blame on his sister. You should watch it so that you can see the full context!

Episode 5.02 (Braavos)

Arya arrives in Braavos, giving us a fuller view of the city than the brief glimpse shown in Season 4, and the most expansive rendition yet of the theme which has stalked Arya ever since her first meeting with the former First Sword of Braavos. I think, in fact, that this is the most elaborate exploration of a (basically) new location that there's been in the show so far. It all looked great, not least the austere looming structure of the House of Black and White. In the end, as expected, Jaqen H'ghar reappears and admits Arya to his society's sanctum.

Additional thoughts:

• I'm not sure exactly what happened after Arya's first approach to the House of Black and White to change Jaqen's (apparent) attitude towards letting her in. Maybe he just likes to be inscrutable.
  • Arya's list appears to have dwindled to just Cersei, Walder Frey, the Mountain and Meryn Trant. Why? In addition to Tywin (let's assume, for simplicity, that Arya has heard about his demise), omissions include the Red Woman, Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr and Ilyn Payne, of whom all but Melisandre have fallen out of the story at present, and have evidently been excised by the writers for the sake of a more focused list. The retention of Cersei and Walder Frey probably doesn't tell us much, since they're among the chief Stark antagonists still alive. Meryn Fucking Trant's retention makes sense, even though he's very much a minor character, because he's still in the picture and is the person who (as far as we know) killed Syrio Forel. The inclusion of the Mountain but exclusion of the Red Woman, however, gives pause for thought, bearing in mind (a) Gregor Clegane's current predicament and (b) the fact that Melisandre explicitly predicted a future encounter between her and Arya.
  • Arya continues to make herself an enemy of the pigeon community. If there's any justice, it will be at their hands that she finally meets her end.
Overall: There were scarcely any narrative or dramatic developments in this segment, but I give it a high rating for conjuring up the Braavosi atmosphere. 8/10

Episode 5.02 (The Riverlands)

Season 5 is divided up into five pairs of adjacent episodes with a different director for each pair. Having seen the second episode, I feel as though Michael Slovis's pair constitutes an extended introductory chapter to the season, across all of the strands of the story. It's particularly true for the Sansa and Brienne material, which had minimal coverage in the first episode but got a better look-in here in the second. (Obviously it's particularly particularly true for the Arya strand.)

The surprise was that Brienne and Sansa had a face-to-face encounter so early. The main seed which was planted was that Brienne is committed to following Sansa and company wherever they're going, despite her offer of service having been rejected outright. We also learn about the message which Littlefinger was seen receiving while at Yohn Royce's: a notification of acceptance of his marriage proposal, though he declines to volunteer the identity of the bride.

The horse chase was pretty good, especially the shots of both parties departing from the inn, as was Brienne's concluding combat with the two horsemen; Valyrian steel is clearly great stuff. A new variant of the "Oathkeeper" melody accompanies the pursuit through the woods.

Odds and ends:

• I'm just guessing that the characters are in the Riverlands here. It's possible that they haven't left the Vale yet. The scenery looked rather Riverlandy, though.
  • Despite having been told that Sansa has dyed her hair, Brienne addresses her loudly by name in front of the whole tavern, apparently having failed to consider the possibility that she is traveling incognito.
  • Also, despite all the time that has passed, Brienne has failed to come up with a way of presenting her version of events concerning Renly's murder that doesn't sound like desperate, incriminating hogwash. She had better call Saul.
  • "Must be good food if it's crowded," says Pod. The food looks vile. I think someone gave up on the gravy.
  • "Ale? :) " ; " :wub: " : there has never lived a more loyal squire.
Overall: The tavern scene was more standard exposition, with some humour and a bit of tension, but nothing remarkable; I'll give it an extra half-point for the well-executed chase and fight. 7.5/10

She seemed like pure evil when she didn't tell Drogo to stop!

Yeah, I can see how that impression could be given when you haven't seen their history.

Episode 2 was a little stronger than the first, but the constant shifting of characters and their plot lines is hurting the flow and the greater dramatic heft the show has previously enjoyed. I realise they already culled plenty of stuff from the books, but at this stage into the series it's becoming increasingly apparent that they weren't anywhere near brutal enough. The fact that we still haven't gotten back to Bran far in the North, which was a major moment at the end of the last series, tells me they're struggling. He didn't even feature in the season opener recap.

I find everything else bloody poor. I think maybe they should have changed the structure of the books somewhere to prevent this breakdown of pace and feeling of repetition.

I imagine they want to have something written in the books for season 6 when they have to make up everything else so that's why they're skipping Bran.

Episode 5.02 (King's Landing)

As with the other strands, the King's Landing material in this episode felt as though it was completing the initiation of themes begun in the preceding episode. On this occasion, the two ideas established were (a) Jaime's forthcoming mission to Dorne and (b) Cersei's moves to take full control of government, supposedly at the behest of King Tommen. Again, I thought that both were managed ably and entertainingly, though without any major highlights.

The Lannister twins. Another tense scene between Jaime and Cersei in which she makes him feel like shit (following the last episode's guilt trip over Tywin's murder), driving him to volunteer for this rather weird mission in a desperate attempt to redeem himself. After hearing Benioff and Weiss talk about the lessons learned from their disastrous initial attempt at the pilot episode, in which they had apparently failed to convey the fact that Jaime and Cersei were siblings, one starts to notice the ways in which they try to reinforce basic information within the dialogue; occasionally such a reinforcing comment will stick out like a sore thumb, but on the whole I think they manage to weave it in in a fairly natural manner. This scene serves its function of driving home the facts about Myrcella's biological and officially accepted parentage, the reason she's in Dorne and the reason that she's now in peril there. It also pays (not entirely convincing) lip service to the question of how they would know where exactly in Dorne to find Myrcella, recalling an offhand remark made by Oberyn last season. What if she was just visiting the Water Gardens on holiday?

Ser Bronn of the Blackwater. The scene with Lollys Stokeworth provided some comic relief, while re-establishing Bronn's current situation and homicidal plans to become the lord of Castle Stokeworth. The plot device invented to get him on board with Jaime's mission (i.e., Cersei's duplicity regarding the Stokeworth marriage) was a bit too convenient, but at least consistent with Cersei's short-sighted way of attempting to get what she wants (and a nod by the writers to the Cersei-Bronn conflict which occurs around this stage in the books).

Qyburn's laboratory. A tiny scene to establish that Tyrion is in peril due to the considerable bounty that Cersei has offered for his head. The bounty hunters' grovelling in front of Cersei and M. F. Trant was amusing (it looks as though they were trying to deceive the Queen, as the dead dwarf's head has a large and apparently quite recent scar on its cheek, albeit the wrong cheek). I like the rather Dickensian (or Shelleyan?) look of the laboratory.

The Small Council. A scene showing that Cersei might benefit from reading Team of Rivals. Her present tactics for solidifying her control over the government involve giving all of the positions of power to people she believes to be her cronies (even Daenerys has a wider range of views represented by her immediate advisors). Mace Tyrell, flattered just to be there, is named Master of Coin (a post which I think has been vacant since Tyrion's arrest), while Pycelle seems dissatisfied by the proceedings but knows when to hold his tongue, and Qyburn is the new Varys. Support from the Lannister family should have been a shoe-in, surely, but Uncle Kevan refuses to play along.

Other comments:

• The box containing the snake: before Jaime's arrival, Cersei must have gone to the trouble of putting it back together again, and the necklace back in the snake's mouth!
  • "It's a threat": Cersei's mocking repetition of Jaime was funny.
  • "...smirking whore from Highgarden!": already becoming a celebrated turn of phrase. Someone on Twitter suggested it for the title of Margaery's autobiography.
  • Qyburn's laboratory looks good - somehow Dickensian (or perhaps Shelleyan). Was that Gregor Clegane lying on a table under a blanket?
  • "If he wants to send for me I will be waiting for him. At Casterly Rock." It seems that Kevan Lannister isn't expecting to be sent for any time soon; Casterly Rock is the better part of a thousand miles from King's Landing.

Overall: As with the first episode, this was all very watchable setting-up for future developments without having any really outstanding moments. Considering the two episodes as a pair, the King's Landing material seems to be based on three main themes - Cersei's short-sighted efforts to become the power behind the throne, rivalry with her perceived nemesis Margaery, and the arrival of the puritanical Sparrows - as well as hatching the off-shoot strand Mission Myrcella. I don't know about the latter, but I think there are good prospects for some great stuff in the capital in the upcoming episodes. 7.5/10

Episode 5.02 (King's Landing)

Qyburn's laboratory. A tiny scene to establish that Tyrion is in peril due to the considerable bounty that Cersei has offered for his head. The bounty hunters' grovelling in front of Cersei and M. F. Trant was amusing (it looks as though they were trying to deceive the Queen, as the dead dwarf's head has a large and apparently quite recent scar on its cheek, albeit the wrong cheek). I like the rather Dickensian (or Shelleyan?) look of the laboratory.

Other comments:

• The box containing the snake: before Jaime's arrival, Cersei must have gone to the trouble of putting it back together again, and the necklace back in the snake's mouth!
  • "It's a threat": Cersei's mocking repetition of Jaime was funny.
  • "...smirking whore from Highgarden!": already becoming a celebrated turn of phrase. Someone on Twitter suggested it for the title of Margaery's autobiography.
  • Qyburn's laboratory looks good - somehow Dickensian (or perhaps Shelleyan). Was that Gregor Clegane lying on a table under a blanket?
  • "If he wants to send for me I will be waiting for him. At Casterly Rock." It seems that Kevan Lannister isn't expecting to be sent for any time soon; Casterly Rock is the better part of a thousand miles from King's Landing

Martin nicely weaves in these little hints of sorcery and underlying magic of this world in some aspects of the story and Qyburn and his experiments is one of those little elements. Also a nice nod to Frankenstein here. Gotta to love Anton Lesser in the role. He is oily without being overly obsequious and has a subtly unnerving presence. Again excellent casting.

Oh and Tywin's brother Kevan has some of the good old Lannister fire in him and he certainly knows his place and position, now more than ever. Spot perfect casting, the seemingly mellow brother has more steel in him than most people originally thought.

Wow, after a few corny opening scenes with Sam, episode 9 of S4 gave us a full-fledged battle (defending the wall) that almost lasted the entire length of the episode. Expensive!

game-of-thrones-season-4-episode-9-the-w

Alex

Episode 5.02 (Tyrion)

The journey from Pentos to Volantis is well over a thousand miles (and from there to the ultimate destination, Meereen, is even further than that). Given that Volantis is due to appear in Episode 3, this brief carriage scene appears to be a condensed representation of the long journey. Its brevity might please those who feel that much of Tyrion's story in A Dance with Dragons has the feel of a travelogue, though some interesting exploits have had to be excised in the process (unless, as is quite possible, some of them are reworked into the later story).

As it is, we get a third scene in the vein of the two Tyrion scenes from Episode 1. Tyrion is still bored, depressed and grumpy while Varys continues to appear mildly vexed at his companion's tediousness. It is established (here and in the subsequent King's Landing scene) that Tyrion is in very serious danger, even in Essos, due to the reward for his head offered by Cersei. There are a few amusing lines, and a Varys metaphor about comfortable boxes which I couldn't quite make sense of. The story should move up a gear once they get to Volantis. 7/10

Episode 5.02 (Dorne)

Our first ever visit to Dorne introduces the Water Gardens, the residence of the ruling Prince Doran Martell, older brother of the late Oberyn. Luckily for Jaime and Bronn, we see that Myrcella is indeed there, wandering around with Doran's son Trystane, to whom she is betrothed. Ellaria Sand also sees this, having returned to Dorne since we last encountered her looking decidedly displeased at Ser Gregor's reconstructive work on Oberyn's face and skull.

Ellaria is almost unrecognisable, and not because of the haircut. Oberyn's chilled-out paramour is gone and her replacement is bitter, vitriolic and focused on revenge in the form of both war and the torture and (presumably) murder of the Lannister relative they have at hand. While it's understandable that the character might want revenge (and, in her grief, might even suffer the impairment of judgement that could lead her to have such callous intentions towards the undeniably innocent Myrcella), the depiction of her attitude here felt crude, cliched and cartoonish. There are lots of instances, throughout Game of Thrones, of characters driven by hatred, malice, or a burning desire for vengeance, yet who have far more interesting and textured portrayals than that of Ellaria in this scene. I'd like to think that this crudity was largely the result of trying to convey the gist of the situation in a very short scene, and that Dorne will get more appealing with further development later in the season. (I wonder what Ellaria's departing threat - "And how long will that be?" in reference to the duration of Doran's rule - was all about.)

As for Doran, he doesn't have a lot to do but sit (stricken by gout) and listen tolerantly to Ellaria's contemptuous sneering and insults, pointing out that Oberyn was killed lawfully and (echoing a sentiment of Oberyn's from last season) that cutting off young girls' fingers one at a time is not in line with the Martell family's view of Dornish values. By comparison with his exuberant and charismatic brother, Doran perhaps comes across as rather dull in this scene, though he has the potential to become an interesting character as the story progresses. 5/10

Martin nicely weaves in these little hints of sorcery and underlying magic of this world in some aspects of the story and Qyburn and his experiments is one of those little elements.

Yeah - this Qyburn issue is one of the stranger elements of the later plot, and I wasn't sure if it would be getting the chop from the show (given some of the other occurrences relating to the increasing supernatural backdrop which have been cut). I wonder if it will have a payoff in the current season, or is just laying the groundwork for later...

Oh and Tywin's brother Kevan has some of the good old Lannister fire in him and he certainly knows his place and position, now more than ever. Spot perfect casting, the seemingly mellow brother has more steel in him than most people originally thought.

Certainly hope we see more of him this year.

Episode 5.02 (The Wall)

Great stuff in the scenes at the Wall - not as heavy in atmosphere as Episode 1's Mance madness, but incorporating two critical moments in Jon Snow's story: his offer from Stannis of the Lordship of Winterfell and of an end to the bastard status which has agonised him all his life, followed in short order by the unexpected (to him) election as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

The library. The scene started off amusingly with Gilly none too subtly criticising Sam's tutoring skills by praising Shireen's. Sam is busy reading about the history of the Lord Commandership, pointing out that youth (especially for children from the Stark family) hasn't been a barrier to being elected to the position, just in case any of us viewers would be wondering about that factor later in the episode. After a brief name-dropping of Maester Cressen (the old man whose attempt to poison Melisandre on Dragonstone fatally backfired at the start of Season 2), talk turns to the more sombre subject of the disease greyscale which has scarred part of Shireen's face. She was luckier than two of Gilly's sisters, it turns out, who were completely engulfed and driven mad by the illness, before being taken out into the woods one night by Craster. It's quite a bit of detail for the show to go into regarding this disease, so it seems likely that it will play a significant role later in the story. The only thing bleaker and more depressing than greyscale in the scene is Selyse, who shows up to scold Shireen for endangering herself by hanging out with a wildling.

Stannis and Jon. I always find Stannis's irritability amusing to watch. The scene here begins with him rebuking Jon for euthanising Mance, telling him that a leader showing too much kindness results in people being less likely to follow them. After revealing the parchment from Jorah Mormont's ten year old cousin Lyanna, carrying the message Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North whose name is Stark, Stannis's tone softens somewhat as he concedes that he faces difficulty gaining the cooperation of northern houses. Good cop Davos takes over, reminding Jon of the dire circumstances he will be in after Alliser Thorne's imminent and inevitable election as Lord Commander, leading to Stannis offering Jon the deal which would result in him becoming Jon Stark, Lord of Winterfell; quick as a flash, Ramin Djawadi presses the "Stark! Winterfell!" button on his music machine. Stannis dominates the scene throughout, though, perfectly modulating his level of irritation to suit the moment at hand.

The choosing. Finally it's time to pick old Jeor's replacement. The scene begins with Jon telling Sam that he's going to refuse Stannis's offer, despite having dreamed of it all his life. (The hasty decision somewhat dampens the effect of the offer, which should be a momentous occasion for Jon; it could have been more effective if there had been time to convey some inner conflict for Jon on the matter, but I suppose time is short and the story has to start making progress...) The highlight of the scene, after brief speeches on behalf of the two candidates, is Sam's improvised speech advocating consideration of Jon. He begins with a hilarious retort to Thorne's advocate Janos Slynt, recalling his cowardice during the battle, and then eloquently recounts Jon's recent acts of leadership. Alliser Thorne's response is also quite eloquent, and follows the advice of his campaign manager Lynton Crosby in focusing on the risk to the Watch in electing a candidate of dubious allegiance. When Jon is elected by virtue of Aemon's casting vote ("Night's Watch Heroism!") we reach a moment which most viewers have probably felt was in the works since Season 1. Given that, it's actually presented in a fairly low-key manner.

Stuff:

• I've heard some people complain about Jon appearing happy at his election. I think that's a bit harsh - even if he didn't want command, being chosen as their leader is a big moment of acceptance for the guy who grew up as an outsider in his own family.
  • "That amuses you?" demands Stannis of Jon when he seems to laugh at the girl's note. "Funny how? How the fuck is it funny? What the fuck is so fuckin' funny about it?"
  • It's surely noteworthy that the name "Lyanna" is dropped in the exchange which leads to the discussion of Jon's potential legitimacy.

Overall: Three engrossing and entertaining scenes concluding the two-episode introduction to the storyline(s) at the Wall, and all in one continuous segment which was a welcome bonus. 8.5/10

This certainly explains why people today, when they talk about movies, they sound like wrestling commentators. Film has become sports?

Since when is film reduced to ...

02_Toughest_Wrestlers_zps320f8610.jpg

Hehehe, I must have touched a nerve with you.

Of course. I am infuriated by your comments.

You've gotta love Alex's "I've made you angry with my insightful comment about why you are only a 2/10 person, haven't I?" method.

Glad a certain exiled advisor is back!

Episode 5.03 (King's Landing)

After its pair of effective but slightly drab episodes preparing the ground for the upcoming developments, King's Landing was back on scintillating form this week. It felt as though, rather than having to focus on making sure that all of the necessary background information was firmly established, the writers were able to have fun at the same time as developing the story more dramatically than in Episodes 1 and 2. The story, it would appear, is essentially about the relationships between three key players - the central character Cersei, her nemesis Margaery, and her new friend the High Sparrow.

Cersei and Margaery. After the royal wedding ("Baratheon Nuptials!") and a couple of amusing scenes depicting Margaery's moves to displace Cersei from her position as the power behind the throne, we get to the meeting of the two Queens, which is the dramatic meat of this first block. The threats and insults traded between them, in the form of pleasantries, were tense and hilarious to watch. Perhaps Margaery was pushing it slightly beyond the limits of credibility with her level of insolence towards Cersei, but I guess the writers want to emphasise the sense of provocation that Cersei feels.

The High Septon. The scene in the brothel was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in Game of Thrones. It was a clever way to bring about the removal of the current High Septon (different from what happens in the book), and the role-playing fetish regarding the Seven was an inspired invention. Olyvar's performance as the Father, with his ludicrous fake beard, was a particular delight. Unfortunately for the Septon, his request to worship the Stranger was a blasphemy too far: the virtuous Sparrows suddenly burst in, led by Lancel Lannister, to seize the sinner and parade him naked through the streets of the city, exposing his disgrace for all to see.

Cersei and the High Sparrow. Finally we come face-to-face with the man behind the group, his quiet and modest demeanour very much at odds with his followers' furious zeal in the earlier scene (but reminiscent of Lancel's conversation with Cersei in Episode 1). Jonathan Pryce's subtle performance is excellent, as he engages with Cersei in a good-humoured and self-effacing way while charitably distributing bits of food to the paupers gathered around. After quickly sussing him out, Cersei seizes the opportunity to make a new ally, emphasising the interdependence of the Church and the Crown. Among other things, she might see this alliance as having the benefit of neutralising the half-threat issued by Lancel when they spoke. I imagine that we can expect an intensification of the Sparrows' work of encouraging moral behaviour in the capital now that they have the backing of the Queen Mother. The first episode's scene depicting the abominable morals of the young Tyrells may have acquired a greater significance.

Qyburn's creature is jumpy!

Overall: I want to give this ten out of ten for the scene with the Horny Septon and the Filth of the Seven, but I'll be restrained. 9/10

you have the good (the Starks), the bad (the Lannisters) and the ugly (the White Walkers)!

Jonathan Pryce was perfect casting for the High Sparrow!

Yup. Even with uncanny resemblance to a certain religious leader.

Jonathan-Pryce-Pope-Francis.jpg

Episode 4.

That ending... :(

Too soon! It was too soon! :(

Loved the Sparrow stuff in King's Landing too.

Episode 4.

That ending... :(

Too soon! It was too soon! :(

Loved the Sparrow stuff in King's Landing too.

Yeah it was a bummer in GoT tradition, that ending. Cliffhanger to be sure. So much death! How can anyone stand against such reckless slaughter of characters!