From Citizen Kane to Inception

Mr. Breathmask

Last summer, I was talking to some people about movies that you're "supposed" to have seen. While there are many many lists out there, we kept getting back to the IMDB top 250. I'm sure there's some people that wouldn't bother with IMDB, but there's one thing that a user-voted list like the IMDB top 250 gives that a film buff's serious top list doesn't: pop culture value. Whether you like that is entirely up to you of course, but for the purpose of conversation, pop culture value can be pretty important.

So a few months back I decided it would be fun to watch part of the list. As much as I would have liked to do a top 100 or even the entire list, there were a few considerations to cut it down to the top 50.

First and foremost: money. When I started, I already had a fair amount of these movies in my collection. For this project, I did not want to settle for downloads. I wanted to get the lot on DVD. (Call me prehistoric - I don't own a BluRay player or even an HDTV. Yet.) I'm also silly enough to actually want the lot on my own shelf - not just watch a rental. This meant a small investment would have to be made. One that would get considerably larger were I to do the top 75 or top 100, let alone the entire top 250.

The second factor is time and the commitment needed to watch all films. 50 seems like a decent, managable number. From the number 50 I get an idea of how long it might take me and it seems like a reasonable time.

So even though there are a lot more films I'd like to include (some that I think actually belong in the top 50 on the list), the priority is going to be to watch the top 50.

And review the lot of them. Just to make it more fun.

Now because the list is constantly changing, I've decided on two things:

1) Watch the movies in chronological order - This way I don't have to be bothered much with changing positions in the list, you avoid having to watch sequels before the original (which I hate) and because the top 50 spans about 70 years of film history, there's the added bonus of getting a nice idea of how the movies have evolved.

2) Lock the top 50 down at a certain point in time - Some movies may come and go. So if you see a movie reviewed that might not be in the list at the time of the review, or if you're wondering why a certain high-ranked picture doesn't get a review, it might be because the list has changed since I've started.

So keep watching this space. Citizen Kane is the oldest film on the list and I'll be starting with that one this week!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I just skimmed over the list, and there are quite a few I haven't seen. I should change that, but I'm not enough of of a film buff to do something like this.

So keep watching this space. Citizen Kane is the oldest film on the list and I'll be starting with that one this week!

You haven't seen it yet? :blink:

Karol

How many films of the top 50 have you already seen ?

As per current list, 21, but as I remember, the "result" was better with the older "versions" of the list. :P

• 1 month later...

What did you expect from IMDb? It does give us good view on what is popular. I wonder how many of those people simply mention Citizen Kane just to be taken seriously? Let's just say, I don't trust so-called personal lists that go like this:

1) The Shawshank Redemption

2) The Green Mile

3) The Dark Knight

4) Citizen Kane

5) Gladiator

6) The Empire Strikes Back

7) Pulp fiction

8) The Matrix

9) A Beautiful Mind

10) Braveheart

Often Citizen Kane is replaced by 2001: A Space Odyssey, another film that looks good on your résumé.

Alex

I don't trust so-called personal lists that go like this:

2) The Green Mile

3) The Dark Knight

4) Citizen Kane

5) Gladiator

7) Pulp fiction

8) The Matrix

9) A Beautiful Mind

10) Braveheart

Often Citizen Kane is replaced by 2001: A Space Odyssey, another film that looks good on your résumé.

The only ones on that list that I would put in my list are The Empire Strikes Back and 2001.

What did you expect from IMDb? It does gives us good view on what is popular. I wonder how many of those people simply mention Citizen Kane just to be taken seriously? Let's just say, I don't trust so-called personal lists that go like this:

2) The Green Mile

3) The Dark Knight

4) Citizen Kane

5) Gladiator

7) Pulp fiction

8) The Matrix

9) A Beautiful Mind

10) Braveheart

Alex

My Top 10 has none of those. Mine's more like this.

1. Troll 2

2. Poltergeist III

3. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

4. Batman & Robin

5. Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem

6. Allen Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold

7. Supergirl

8. Hellraiser: Bloodline

9. Jewel of the Nile

10. King Kong Lives

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, the whole review thing.

Damn, I totally forgot about this.

I'm rediculously busy these days, but in a few weeks I might have time to deliver some updates. :)