Hanna- Composed by the Chemical Brothers

Not Mr. Big

The winner of best score from the Los Angeles film critics. War Horse's score is being panned by critics for it's corniness but Hanna's score is widely acclaimed.

What do you think?

Because in my humble opinion it's corny to the point of it sounding as if it was farted out by unicorns. (That'll be my low brow joke of the day)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HANNA is -- in short -- one of the very best scores this year, and probably the soundtrack I've played the most. The film is my third favourite of the year too. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

Haven't gotten WAR HORSE yet, and the movie doesn't premiere in Norway for another couple of months, so I can't compare yet.

Listened to the CD yesterday, inspired by this thread. Didn't care for it, and I like this kind of music and the Chemical Brothers in general. But this score was just... weird.

I loved Hanna, score and film. I thought the music was extremely effective. Yes, the music in that clip (first post) is goofy, but it's also scource music for a goofy stage performance. I love the way the music works in the action scenes in the film.

But it's not a typical score. The fact that it was already done when the film was being made opens an interesting debate as to the nature of a score. And while I love real orchestral scores as much as the next guy, I don't think every score has to be one. I'm okay with trying something different, if it's good—which I think this is.

I loved Hanna, score and film. I thought the music was extremely effective. Yes, the music in that clip (first post) is goofy, but it's also scource music for a goofy stage performance. I love the way the music works in the action scenes in the film.

But it's not a typical score. The fact that it was already done when the film was being made opens an interesting debate as to the nature of a score. And while I love real orchestral scores as much as the next guy, I don't think every score has to be one. I'm okay with trying something different, if it's good—which I think this is.

Exactly. Film music would be extremely boring if it were just traditional, orchestral music in the style of John Williams all the time.

I'm a HUGE electronica buff, and am very glad that talented electronica artists such as Chemical Brothers (or Daft Punk last year) gets the chance to do film music as well! More of this, please!

I kind of got the impression that any awards attention Hanna got was sort of leftover momentum from The Social Network being a big winner. I feel like voters probably saw two famous musicians from a band doing a score with mostly electronic elements and simply wanted it to win. Hanna works fairly well in the film, and it's decent music, but I don't really see it as award worthy, and I certainly don't think the score has the in-film effect The Social Network had. Not even close.

The actual score aside, Dario Marianelli turned the film down because he wasn't interested in this type of scorin thatg its director wanted. I like this guy.

Karol

I kind of got the impression that any awards attention Hanna got was sort of leftover momentum from The Social Network being a big winner. I feel like voters probably saw two famous musicians from a band doing a score with mostly electronic elements and simply wanted it to win. Hanna works fairly well in the film, and it's decent music, but I don't really see it as award worthy, and I certainly don't think the score has the in-film effect The Social Network had. Not even close.

I thought it was far more interesting and had far more presence than TSN, although I really enjoyed that film and score too. Two quite different scores, for very different films.

War Horse might be the most controversial score of the year. You can't rack up all those best score nominations without a decent amount of support, but it certainly has a its detractors also.