Angela's Ashes

csiaspam

Anyone who has the Angela's Ashes soundtrack knows what a frustration and disappointment it is to have almost every track full of talking and stuff from the movie. :cry2: I once read somewhere that there is an import somewhere that has just the music with no talking in the background (or foreground for that matter :confused: ) Anyone have this version or does anyone know where I can get a copy or something. :dontgetit: I like the soundtrack, but I rarely find myself listening to it much with all the darn talking! :sigh: Any feedback would be much appreciated. :devil:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the USA version (Sony) does have narration/dialogue/...

The international one (Universal/Decca), however, doesn't.

You can find it in many sites, though it's quite expensive.

F.e.: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=music&n=507846

I really like the narration. Frank McCourt's writing to me sounds like song. I think that it adds an emotion to the soundtrack that wouldn't be there. Even though it is one of John Williams' best IMHO, I think that it gives the score context, and this is a story (especially since it's true) that context can greatly better.

~Conor

Back to America is one of my favourite Williams track,I am glad to have a narration free version,so in the end the Decca release is worth it.

K.M.

Just like RomanticStrings, i kinda like the narration.

This typical Irish accent, those touching texts, combining with Williams wonderful music....everytime i listen to this cd, i almost cry... :cry:

"Theme from Angela's Ashes" is probably one of the most beautiful theme i ever heard in my life. :devil:

Anyone who has the Angela's Ashes soundtrack knows what a frustration and disappointment it is to have almost every track full of talking and stuff from the movie.   :cry2:   I once read somewhere that there is an import somewhere that has just the music with no talking in the background (or foreground for that matter :confused: )  Anyone have this version or does anyone know where I can get a copy or something.  :dontgetit:  I like the soundtrack, but I rarely find myself listening to it much with all the darn talking!   :sigh:  Any feedback would be much appreciated.   :devil:

Not everyone feels frustated like you. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I agree with our beloved Maestro John Williams, when HE (not Sony) decided to include narration. In fact he wanted to have the text narrated by Frank McCourt himself, but for some reason, I believe lack of time, they had to use the same actor that did the narration on the film.

If you love the book, as Mr. Williams and my self love, then you'll learn to love the narration. And even if you don't like it, well, i still think it works well with the music.

I never read the book or watched the movie, but I quite nejoy the narration.

Romao, who also thought Anthony Hopkins was a worthy adition to the Hannibal soundtrack.

I suppose I shouldn't crack the narration till i've seen the movie. :devil: Thanks for the link to the import by the way! :sigh:

I suppose I shouldn't crack the narration till i've seen the movie. :D  Thanks for the link to the import by the way!   :)

Yes, you should watch the movie, but most important you should read the book. My favorite book from this last few years. And the closest adaptation I've ever seen.

I have both versions and I so prefer having it without narration. I already have the film if I want the whole story. On CD, I just want the music!!!

The narration makes sense only to those who can speak/understand English well, which is not my case, so I got the narration-free version.

"Theme from Angela's Ashes" is probably one of the most beautiful theme i ever heard in my life. :D

Me too.

I have both versions and I so prefer having it without narration.  I already have the film if I want the whole story.  On CD, I just want the music!!!

I, on the other hand, prefer to listen the narration version cd.

And there in lies the crux of the reason of why there are 2 CDs :mrgreen:

You're absolutelly right. There's no point in arguing about this. We can choose the one we like best. But this doesn't works on every single soundtrack cd... I love the narration on Angela's Ashes, and I love the text on Unfinished Journey, or in The Reivers suite... but I don't find that this would work with other scores like E.T. or Raiders or even on smaller scores like Presumed Innocent, Accidental Tourist or Saving Private Ryan.

Not everyone feels frustated like you. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I agree with our beloved Maestro John Williams, when HE (not Sony) decided to include narration. I.

Williams *tried* to make the c.d. less boring ;) .

K.M.

Not everyone feels frustated like you. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I agree with our beloved Maestro John Williams, when HE (not Sony) decided to include narration. I.

Williams *tried* to make the c.d. less boring :) .

K.M.

But made it more boring. :)

Morn - Who loves that score ;)

Williams *tried* to make the c.d. less boring ROTFLMAO .

K.M.

I love the score sans narration, I think this one of Williams finest work. But with the words from the book is just marvelous. Maybe it's only because I love the book so much... In fact I intend to read it again soon.