La-La Land Release Galaxy Quest

Alan

Mine arrived yesterday...gonna listen to it in the car today. :)

Nothing like listening to an exciting new score in the car, I always say.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Especially if your driving style adapts to the music. :D

haha, a couple of times listening to some Bond scores in the car I think I noticed myself going just a little too fast.....

haha, a couple of times listening to some Bond scores in the car I think I noticed myself going just a little too fast.....

Desert Chase is the worst one to listen to while driving!

I put "Chase Through Coruscant" on when I have to drive downtown.

Yay, finally got my (signed) Galaxy Quest in the mail! Going to listen to it on the road today on my way to work! :);)

So, question: What do you guys do with the two booklets you get? Do you put the signed one in the CD case and store the un-signed one elsewhere? Or do you do the opposite? And where do you usually store the extra one? Some unrelated place in your house or somewhere right next to it? Just wondered. ;)

Driving a SUV on dirtroads listening to that, belly of the steel beast or Jungle chase should be banned. :P

You know you just want to go too fast (for the recommended speed at dirt) make close curves, ram other cars and jump to them....

Thnak god i'm self-restrained... :lol:

Yay, finally got my (signed) Galaxy Quest in the mail! Going to listen to it on the road today on my way to work! :);)

So, question: What do you guys do with the two booklets you get? Do you put the signed one in the CD case and store the un-signed one elsewhere? Or do you do the opposite? And where do you usually store the extra one? Some unrelated place in your house or somewhere right next to it? Just wondered. ;)

I immediately swap them, and put the unsigned booklet on a shelf somewhere.

It should be visible and protected in its case, not stored away :)

I immediately swap them, and put the unsigned booklet on a shelf somewhere.

It should be visible and protected in its case, not stored away :)

Agreed.

Just got home from work after being able to listen to the whole CD! What a great and fun score. It is one of those rare scores that really makes me want to watch the movie after hearing it. I could almost hear the humorous dialogue as I was listening to it, that's how well-scored and placed this music is, haha. The sound quality was great, and I'm trying to remember what exactly was left off the promo album. I think it was only about 5 minutes, but there were a couple moments near the end I don't remember hearing on the promo. Will have to see if the liner notes detail this in a little bit.

Btw... *spoiler alert*... there IS bonus music on here! I won't give away exactly what it is, but I'll just say the last track on the disc goes on about 2 minutes longer than it's supposed to. ;) I actually forgot about this particular music being used in the film, but once I remembered what part it came from, I LOL'ed as I was driving. It's really funny and awesome that they included this music (which was definitely not on the promo) and made it's level of greatness go up an extra grade! :D

Yeah, that bit at the end really caught me by surprise, haha. :D

I will say that I found myself wishing that the underscore were as brilliant as the statements of the theme that bookend the album. This score is definitely at its best when it's straightforwardly presenting the main theme (whether in "classic" or "modern" guise), but I at the same time, I don't regret the purchase. And I suspect it'll grow on me, too.

In a way this score reminds me of the same strengths and weaknesses as Back to the Future. If it weren't for the main theme (and it's frequent appearances), the score would be mostly generic. However, the main theme for both scores is SO fun and used in such fun ways that it all makes up for it. The surrounding music, though not bad at all, is mostly just cushion for it's big, comfy seat. ;)

I'd disagree there - the underscore works great for me. But it may be because I first saw the film around 2000/2001, when my film music tastes were starting to emerge, so I guess it made an impression.

So are the tracks nicely separated, or is there lots of crossfading?

I'm starting to like the underscore more while listening to it for a 2nd time, this time just at home. There are a lot of fun moments even without the main theme. I also noticed a self-reference he made to a previous score of his, Matilda (which is also a good score, although not very cohesive, has some very good tracks with a lot of variety). At about 4:36 to about 4:51 on track 11 of Galaxy Quest is VERY close to Newman's track from his Matilda score titled "A Narrow Escape". In the track from Matilda it expands upon this brief use in Galaxy Quest for an intense 5 minute chase cue (which features the Trunchbull chasing Matilda through her house). Not that it's use in Galaxy Quest is a bad thing, especially considering it's briefness, but I thought it was fun to point it out. :D

So are the tracks nicely separated, or is there lots of crossfading?

The only mildly annoying crossfading is in track 8 - Jason Takes Action / Sarris Tortures Captain. Otherwise a few cues cut off a few seconds early but the complete endings are heard on the promo.

Even though there are a couple obtrusive crossfades as noted, none of them really ruined the listening experience for me at least. In fact, honestly, the way the LaLaLand release is arranged, it was a much more enjoyable listening experience than how I remembered listening to the promo. Already having listened to it twice all the way through, I don't remember enjoying it as thoroughly as I did in the past. Perhaps this may also be due to some of the music included that was missing from the promo (which I'm still trying to figure out, it seems like most of it was from the climax and a few other places, brief cues of course). It just all seems to flow better.

Perhaps this may also be due to some of the music included that was missing from the promo (which I'm still trying to figure out, it seems like most of it was from the climax and a few other places, brief cues of course).

Already done.

Thanks for the link! Alright, wow, so actually less new music than I thought! I guess combining a lot of tracks that were separate on the promo sort of confused me. So, adding up the two new short tracks of music plus the bonus music on the final track, it totals to about 02:43. But, the promo length VS the LLL length is actually almost 5 minutes, meaning is there actually more music exclusive to the LLL than the list above suggests? Or did I read something wrong?

Give me a little bit. I'll post the breakdown.

Exclusive to La La Land:

04 - Galaxy Quest TV Clip #3 / Introducing Sarris (:00-:48)

05 - Transporting the Crew (:00-:24)

08 - Jason Takes Action (:00-:27)

16 - Opening the Airlock (3:10-3:32)

17 - Dying Thermians (1:10-1:42)

17 - A Hug Before Dying (3:48-4:10)

18 - Sarris Orders Attack (:00-:28)

20 - Mathesar, Hero (:00-:20)

22 - The New Galaxy Quest (Hidden Track) (1:08-2:51)

So that totals 5:26.

Ah there we go, very cool! Now I know! :)

Listening to just those short added cues, I admit that the LLL obviously doesn't add anything substantial that was missing from the promo, but honestly, like I mentioned in this thread, the added cues plus the arrangement of the set really creates a great listening flow. That and it's still nice to have these little moments added so it can truly be the complete score. For me the best addition definitely has to be the hidden track at the end of track 22, followed by lovely version of the main theme in Galaxy Quest TV Clip #3, and the somber Dying Thermians. While it's still nice to have the promo for kind of archival purposes for some of the clean endings, I don't see myself ever listening to that version again. LLL all the way with this release!

From reading the liner notes, it would have been really amazing if they had been able to locate some of the alternate versions of cues that were apparently recorded, including the original version of the main theme (that apparently wasn't as straight-forward and great compared to what ended up being used) and the original version of "Happy Ending" that was redone by request of the filmmakers. I'm sure these alternates were in no way superior to the film versions, but they still would have been great to hear since they were apparently recorded. I guess judging from the FB post Jason provided, these were not found on Newman's hard drive or in the sessions used.

From reading the liner notes, it would have been really amazing if they had been able to locate some of the alternate versions of cues that were apparently recorded, including the original version of the main theme (that apparently wasn't as straight-forward and great compared to what ended up being used) and the original version of "Happy Ending" that was redone by request of the filmmakers. I'm sure these alternates were in no way superior to the film versions, but they still would have been great to hear since they were apparently recorded.

Completely agreed, those would have been a great added bonus.