Varese re-issues Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown without expanding it - and other labels comment

Jay

I agree, they do. But I don't think it's a pre-requisite, and it's certainly not something we should expect from a label who - for better or for worse - actively ignores the online community. We know Varese doesn't do this kind of thing, we've known for a decade or so, but we still bitch as if it's something we can actively change.

I don't agree that re-releases should immediately equal more music. I think we've been conditioned by the multitude of expansions (which is certainly something Varese have previously contributed to) but there's no rule, written or unwritten, that says any new release should be expanded.

I certainly understand people's frustrations, but the bottom line is either buy it or don't. Don't spend pages and pages (as that FSM thread has) grinding about something that everyone has already known for years just for the sake of it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can't say I've personally heard either version, but the comments I read on FSM varied between "slight improvement in sound" to "greatly improved sound", so I guess you probably have to judge for yourself. There are samples here:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-1041/Chinatown/Detail

• 3 years later...

Yes, but I never saw any word about it selling out / going out of print, so I have no idea if they sold all 3,000 copies, or just gave up and stop selling it after they sold 1,000, etc.

Boggles the mind why did they do a limited run of this classic considering they added no new music to it.

It works brilliantly in the movie but i'm not sure anyone needs more of this kind of arid thriller score.

The album is just fine but how it disappeared from print is the more baffling question.