Introduce me to Michael Giacchino

Jilal

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the top Giacchino scores I was going to mention have been mentioned already. My work here was done even before it began.

And with all due respect to Dan Wallin, he should retire. Then Giacchino's scores might actually have a sense of grandeur and lovely articulate but spacious sound which would be much more flattering to them than Wallin's dry as chalk approach.

All the top Giacchino scores I was going to mention have been mentioned already. My work here was done even before it began.

And with all due respect to Dan Wallin, he should retire. Then Giacchino's scores might actually have a sense of grandeur and lovely articulate but spacious sound which would be much more flattering to them than Wallin's dry as chalk approach.

You're right. A good recordign would make his music even better.

Where is Shawn Murphy when we need him?

You mean Bruce Botnick.

I'm not convinced Wallin is to blame. I think Giacchino's scores are recorded so dry because they are orchestrated that way, too.

Yup, this also seems to be a contributor to the problem. He often uses instruments in an unconventional way, especially brass. Sometimes it works other times, sometimes it is what it is. Like trying to use a submarine to fly.

I think a flying submarine could be quite beautiful!

EDIT: In all seriousness, I think Wallin's sound worked splendidly for LOST, but in a lot of Giacchino's other scores, I find myself wondering how they would have sounded if they'd been recorded and mixed differently. A Botnick-Giacchino pairing would be very, very interesting, and would probably have some significant effect (positive or negative) on my impression of Giacchino's scores, particularly when it comes to orchestration.

To be more precise, I'm not sure Wallin is to blame for anything. Yes, (nearly) all of Giacchino's scores since Lost have that dry, claustrophobic sound. It's in the orchestration. A Botnick recorded Giacchino score could certainly sound more spacious... but perhaps not so much more. They would still sound dry, just with wetter recorded sound.