When the last note doesn't match the rest of the piece

indy4

It's a weird effect, and I don't like it. Best example I can think of is "Sean's Theme" from MR. The whole piece is so sad and tortured, but the final note is so pleasant and warm.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Sean's Theme: I would hardly call it tortured, more reflective and melancholy, slightly nostalgic and yes the ending is that way on purpose since it is an alternate take on A New Beginning, which likewise ends on a resolved happy note but Sean's Theme is just a moodier version of this, not quite clearly fully expressing the happy ending, bittersweet but none the less resolved. That is why the ending might sound a bit off when you look at the whole piece and expect it to end on the same note as the rest of the music.

Listen to how In the Name of God, the final track of Dream Theater album Train of Thought, ends. ;-)

:up:

On Sean's Theme: I would hardly call it tortured, more reflective and melancholy, slightly nostalgic and yes the ending is that way on purpose since it is an alternate take on A New Beginning, which likewise ends on a resolved happy note but Sean's Theme is just a moodier version of this, not quite clearly fully expressing the happy ending, bittersweet but none the less resolved. That is why the ending might sound a bit off when you look at the whole piece and expect it to end on the same note as the rest of the music.

Oh wow, I had no idea it was an alternate New Beginning! That's interesting, because the motif from the final A New Beginning is based on Sean's theme. I definitely prefer the final version, I like the more gradual transition from anxiety to comfort.

Just curious, but how did you find out it's an alternate? SEan's theme is 1:57, ANB is 3:29.

It's a weird effect, and I don't like it. Best example I can think of is "Sean's Theme" from MR. The whole piece is so sad and tortured, but the final note is so pleasant and warm.

The musical term for it is a 'Picardy Third' or a 'Tierce de Picardie'. You can look up the full definition of it pretty easily but it's a technique used in classical music and popular music. A great example of it in a pop tune would be this:

If you skip to the last chord you'll hear it. It's just a method used to bring resolution to a piece. I really like it, but I know it can irritate some.

I may be wrong, but I've always believed that this technique is also used at the end of Princess Leia's Theme:

Not certain but I think so. Just thought I'd explain it for anyone who's interested! :)

I think its a nice effect personally, certainly doesn't bother me....awkward transitions/segues to a cue in a way different key, now that I find jarring and gross lol

Nothing in Minority Report can be criticized. It is literally perfect from beginning to end.

:lol: So true man, so true.

The musical term for it is a 'Picardy Third' or a 'Tierce de Picardie'. You can look up the full definition of it pretty easily but it's a technique used in classical music and popular music. A great example of it in a pop tune would be this:

If you skip to the last chord you'll hear it. It's just a method used to bring resolution to a piece. I really like it, but I know it can irritate some.

I may be wrong, but I've always believed that this technique is also used at the end of Princess Leia's Theme: [media=]

Not certain but I think so. Just thought I'd explain it for anyone who's interested! :)

Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was a technical term for it. YOu may be right about Leia's theme, but I think it works in that case because the piece always seems to be wanting to resolve in a happy way, so the major chord at the end feels very satisfying IMO.

I always thought the major chord at the end of "Christmas at Hogwarts" from Philosopher's Stone sounds a bit out of place. I'm talking the OST here, in the film it segues directly into "The Library Scene" (Invisibility cloak synths and such).

I always wonder if JW records these little final chords specifically for OST releases to make tracks sound more "complete". Can anyone shed some light on this?

As far as Williams is concerned, what immediately strikes me is the JFK theme, which ends on that dissonant note after the soulful Americana music.

But the real expert on this thing was Ennio Morricone. He made a habit out of creating these gobsmackingly beautiful themes, only to suddenly make things a bit 'sour' by inserting a "wrong" note, a rhytmic pattern or something to take you out of the mood. Like the theme from LEGEND OF 1900. Cool for effect and originality, but I'm often a bit frustrated by it too -- like the synth farts in Goldsmith's LEGEND.

Listen to how In the Name of God, the final track of Dream Theater album Train of Thought, ends. ;-)

What's wrong with it ? That one never bothered me.

Plus the way The Root of All Evil picks up from it is pretty cool 13.gif