Introduce Me to the James Bond Scores

Faleel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Stefan, I need to be introduced to the older scores myself :)

I only own Living Daylights and Goldeneye through Quantum!

If you want to be introduced to the music properly. Start with these (in order):

From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Diamonds Are Forever.

That is quintessential Bond, and the CDs are available for a bargain.

And then, in no particular order: Live And Let Die, Moonraker, The Living Daylights, For Your Eyes Only, The Man With The Golden Gun.

Those are the ones you should get then.

The rest is bonus for someone who isn't a Bond completist.

Missing out on a lot of good stuff.

If you like synth mixed with a lot of brass, you can't go wrong with On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Here's a track I'm particularly fond of.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpkSEvwUkCc

Goldfinger, OHMSS and The Living Daylights are the three to beat in my opinion. The first two have his 60s characteristics and the best melodic writing, and the latter is the perfect showcase for his beautiful lush-string while still being pretty exciting.

I love all the Bond scores though, even Serra's.

I know they have a "great and/or terrible" reputation, but the Prague Bond recordings kick ass and will cover most people for casual listening or introductions. The 4CD "Ultimate" collection covers all the films, though the single CD Back in Action 1 and 2 are solid collections.

I know they have a "great and/or terrible" reputation, but the Prague Bond recordings kick ass and will cover most people for casual listening or introductions. The 4CD "Ultimate" collection covers all the films, though the single CD Back in Action 1 and 2 are solid collections.

I can't disagree more here.Some selections are adequate, namely more quiet cues. However, the recorded pieces that were previously unreleased, from Moonraker and OHMSS, aren't even average. The tempo is completely off, the brass sounds thin, and the performance in general is very lacking.Before shelling out money for this, I would advise to buy the remastered CDs for a few dollars used.