Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

The opening melody is sort of a opening/closing bookend device that refernces the History of the Ring theme. Maybe an omnipresent quest theme?

At 0:38 you hear a variation of Bilbo's Adventure.

I wonder if the Erebor theme that we hear in AUJ, is like the Silver Trumpets theme from LOTR, and the unknown Erebor track on the SE, is sort of like the Gondor Theme that we all know and love?

I would like to apologize to Alexander, the OST/SE CD of TH IS overly compressed.

I get the same thing when I listen to this.

Anyone else think this disc sounds overly compressed?

OK, quick question:

Does anyone what the theme that appears at the very beginning of My Dear Frodo and at 0:33 in A Good Omen is supposed to represent? At first, I thought it was just an overture, but since it also appears in A Good Omen, I thought it was a theme meant to represent something. Anyone have any idea?

My guess is that it was supposed to be the main theme of the trilogy, and Shore intended to use it more, mostly at different stages of the journey (as some sort of a The Journey There equivalent), but with Plan 9's theme coming into the picture, his plans got derailed, but I'd like to hear other thoughts on that theme.

I had wondered about this theme as well. There are subtle harmonic references to the History of the Ring theme, but it is indeed melodically similar to the Journey There theme. Interesting. It's some really beautiful writing, and I was sorry that the magnificent restatement on the album with the added percussion wasn't used in the film.

The Erebor bonus track is Bilbo's adventure theme. Hopefully we'll get some epic statements of it.

No, I don't think so. Why would Bilbo's adventure theme be called "Erebor"? His adventure theme is "A Very Respectable Hobbit", and that is also the theme that appears at 0:38 in My Dear Frodo.

"Erebor" has the three horn call theme that pops up everywhere in the score, so that is the theme for Erebor.

OK, quick question:

Does anyone what the theme that appears at the very beginning of My Dear Frodo and at 0:33 in A Good Omen is supposed to represent? At first, I thought it was just an overture, but since it also appears in A Good Omen, I thought it was a theme meant to represent something. Anyone have any idea?

My guess is that it was supposed to be the main theme of the trilogy, and Shore intended to use it more, mostly at different stages of the journey (as some sort of a The Journey There equivalent), but with Plan 9's theme coming into the picture, his plans got derailed, but I'd like to hear other thoughts on that theme.

I had wondered about this theme as well. There are subtle harmonic references to the History of the Ring theme, but it is indeed melodically similar to the Journey There theme. Interesting. It's some really beautiful writing, and I was sorry that the magnificent restatement on the album with the added percussion wasn't used in the film.

The theme at 0:38 in My Dear Frodo definitely isn't close to the Ring theme, it's a G/D major theme. Hints at the Ring theme are made in the opening piece, from 0:00 to 0:35.

The Erebor bonus track is Bilbo's adventure theme. Hopefully we'll get some epic statements of it.

No, I don't think so. Why would Bilbo's adventure theme be called "Erebor"? His adventure theme is "A Very Respectable Hobbit", and that is also the theme that appears at 0:38 in My Dear Frodo.

"Erebor" has the three horn call theme that pops up everywhere in the score, so that is the theme for Erebor.

1) "A Very Respectable Hobbit" and "Erebor" feature variations of the same theme. The former simply flows into Bilbo's main theme (Tookish setting) at 0:32ish. But the pitches of the opening passages are identical. "Erebor" simply features the theme in a more bold setting.

2) Just because "Erebor" features leaping intervals, doesn't automatically make it the Erebor theme. The Erebor theme specifically consists of a minor third, a perfect fourth and a perfect fifth in A minor. This applies to pretty much any natural minor scale and is its strict form (one could argue its a more static theme). The cue "Erebor" feautures none of this. So no, the melody is NOT the Erebor theme (its pretty obvious really).

3) The name of the cue has little relevance to the theme and is a rather poor basis to make thematic assumptions upon.

OK, quick question:

The theme at 0:38 in My Dear Frodo definitely isn't close to the Ring theme, it's a G/D major theme. Hints at the Ring theme are made in the opening piece, from 0:00 to 0:35.

It hints at it harmonically in a subtle fashion. I simply look at it as a opening/closing, quest/storytelling idea. But we won't know for sure till later I guess.

1) "A Very Respectable Hobbit" and "Erebor" feature variations of the same theme. The former simply flows into Bilbo's main theme (Tookish setting) at 0:32ish. But the pitches of the opening passages are identical. "Erebor" simply features the theme in a more bold setting.

2) Just because "Erebor" features leaping intervals, doesn't automatically make it the Erebor theme. The Erebor theme specifically consists of a minor third, a perfect fourth and a perfect fifth in A minor. This applies to pretty much any natural minor scale and is its strict form (one could argue its a more static theme). The cue "Erebor" feautures none of this. So no, the melody is NOT the Erebor theme (its pretty obvious really)..

Not really, i disagree. Why would Erebor be in any way related to Bilbo's theme which plays in A Very Respectable Hobbit? The Erebor theme is something completely different sharing some of the first notes with Bilbo's theme which is common with Shore's style of scoring. That doesn't mean in any way it is intended as variation of Bilbo's theme.

The alternative prologue: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4cnr4r

Enjoy.

Youtube version:

That's fantastic! Great work Georg.

2) Just because "Erebor" features leaping intervals, doesn't automatically make it the Erebor theme. The Erebor theme specifically consists of a minor third, a perfect fourth and a perfect fifth in A minor. This applies to pretty much any natural minor scale and is its strict form (one could argue its a more static theme). The cue "Erebor" feautures none of this. So no, the melody is NOT the Erebor theme (its pretty obvious really)..

Not really, i disagree. Why would Erebor be in any way related to Bilbo's theme which plays in A Very Respectable Hobbit? The Erebor theme is something completely different sharing some of the first notes with Bilbo's theme which is common with Shore's style of scoring. That doesn't mean in any way it is intended as variation of Bilbo's theme.

It's not a variation of Bilbo's Theme. It's an expansion of Bilbo's Adventure. Two very different themes.

I don't know if this question is proper in this thread or not, but can someone explain to me the meaning of these sentences in the "Song of the lonely mountain" lyrics:

"And all who find us will know the tune"

"Haven’t seen the back of us yet"

Thank you very much.

Don't pay too close attention to the lyrics, as I find the song as a package quite awful.

Yes the film version copypastes in a different Shire theme variant.

I actually prefer the film version.

Does anyone actually enjoy listening to An Ancient Enemy? I think it's dull as dishwater. I know Shore has his detractors, but when I hear a cue like this I can certainly see what they mean, because this sort of aimless, rambling underscore does expose his weakness in creating interesting sounds and rhythms (and even atonality) which for anyone else the context of the cue would be inspiration plenty for great, satisfying music. I imagine the orchestra to be bored out of their minds playing this stuff.

I do enjoy the track quite a lot. It certainly has sort of a slow motion feel to it as it scores a flashback shot in similar fashion.

I do enjoy the track quite a lot. It certainly has sort of a slow motion feel to it as it scores a flashback shot in similar fashion.

The use of music in that scene is brilliant.

It's just not overblown. To my ears, the extremely slow and simple style, with the sustained notes and the voices, reminds me of something that would sound in a Bronze Age mythical epic or something. It's maybe an stereotypical association but that's how it sounds to me.

Edit: Ah! I know what! It reminds me superficially of some snippets of Yared's Troy. :lol:

Read my first post on the subject.

I've actually had an opportunity to sit and listen on my new headphones this morning and it's really the first proper listen of the entire SE I've had. Questions: is a large portion of Brass Buttons not in the film? Is the film version of the escape from goblin town not on this album?

Oh and it was very nice to hear Quint's song in the last track. Wasn't expecting that.

Questions: is a large portion of Brass Buttons not in the film? Is the film version of the escape from goblin town not on this album?

Most of Brass Buttons is in the film, but the entire end of the track, covering the Pity of Bilbo scene and presumably Bilbo's return to the group, was replaced by revised cues.

There's a blasting of the Plan 9 theme during the Goblintown escape that isn't on the album

Interestly, btw, all that cut Brass Buttons music was used in the end credits.