• 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But 4 stars for now. I might give it a higher rating later on.

I've found that, these days, I need a couple of months to warm up to a score. It took me 6 months or so to really come to appreciate WH. Now I consider it to be a quiet (near) masterpiece.

3,5 stars (both Tin Tin and War Horse got 4 from me).

Karol

I give both Tintin and WH 4,5.

KotCS is a 3,5 for me. :lol:

Anyhoo, Lincoln is not bad, not bad at all.

Another quiet masterpiece, nothing showy or gimmicky. I have an idea we might be appreciating this tremendously in the years to come...

____

Seems like it's a solid 4 star score on this board.

4 stars. The only thing that really deducts is originality. That's not to say it's unoriginal, but it does borrow a bit from other works by Copland and Mancini, and there are moods and devices that are, at times, predictable. Everything else is great.

4 stars. A very strong score with some fabulous soloist work but not an absolute classic. The gentle simplicity of the score is heartwarming and while the Americana writing isn't certainly new by any means in comparison with past JW scores, the music still has a winning emotional center.

4 stars. The only thing that really deducts is originality. That's not to say it's unoriginal, but it does borrow a bit from other works by Copland and Mancini, and there are moods and devices that are, at times, predictable. Everything else is great.

I can certainly agree on the Copland homage/near quote but saying that Williams lifted Mancini is just grasping at straws when it really sounds like a conincidence to my ears.

4 stars. A very strong score with some fabulous soloist work but not an absolute classic. The gentle simplicity of the score is heartwarming and while the Americana writing isn't certainly new by any means in comparison with past JW scores, the music still has a winning emotional center.

As always, well said! I agree. But I have an idea this score will only gain in appeal and value as time goes by... :)

I can certainly agree on the Copland homage/near quote but saying that Williams lifted Mancini is just grasping at straws when it really sounds like a conincidence to my ears.

I disagree...too many intervals are the same in the opening phrase, and so is the tempo . And it's not like this is some random pop song that JW never heard, we know he was a big fan of Mancini (adn he knew him pretty well).

I'm not saying that JW is a hack or that "With Malice Towards None" is a hack piece, but I think it was definitely influenced by the Sweetheart Tree. When I realized that it is derived from Lincoln's theme I thought for a moment it was a coincidence ,but then I rewatched the interview posted a few months ago where JW said Malice was the first piece he wrote.

No, sorry you are wrong.

About the score, 5 stars. I don't like the 3 hillbilly tracks but the rest is pure magic to my ears.

Better than WarHorse, can't compare to Tintin(another 5 stars score), so different world.

Blume is right and maybe even too generous about KOTCS, 2,5 stars. My lowest rating in JW's career.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to this score non-stop for the past few weeks, it has really grown on me.

Several tracks (With Malice Towards None, etc.) really stand out. Like with War Horse, come to think of it (Remembering Emilie, Ploughing).

4.5 stars from me. It's really good.

His folky stuff on it is just wondrous. My ears can only imagine what he would've pulled off for Shire tracks if he did the LOTR. Oh wait, wrong board.

Anyways, wish I could've enjoyed this score better during the actual movie. Unfortunately I had to sit inbetween 2 bros (1 who was treating popcorn like it was the last food on earth) and two 13 or 14 year old kids who were on their smart phones the whole time.

Anyways, wish I could've enjoyed this score better during the actual movie. Unfortunately I had to sit inbetween 2 bros (1 who was treating popcorn like it was the last food on earth) and two 13 or 14 year old kids who were on their smart phones the whole time.

:lol:

Tell me about it! Kids who are sitting in the wrong movie are the worst.