Introduce Me To Eastern Influenced Scores by Western Composers

Faleel

I'm not sure how "Eastern Ethnic" I'd call those....they're pretty homogenized. That's not a criticism, just saying they're obviously only eastern tinged for western audiences. But clearly you knew that. I'd suggest Seven Years in Tibet, which I'm quite fond of, but you've probably heard that being a Williams' fan.

Sorry, anyway, eastern scores by western composers. Try Patrick Doyle's "As You Like It", from Kenneth Branagh's film which he set in 19th Century Japan. It's lovely.

Why not scores by Eastern composers?

Thats a story for a different thread (besides, I like game music, so I have already pretty much been exposed to eastern composers, and eastern composers doing easternish music)

That's like saying you've listened to two or three American game composers and therefore know what Western music sounds like: as if Igbo drum music, Renaissance madrigals, Johnny Cash and the score to "Call of Duty 4" are all fundamentally the same, but music from Thailand is something else entirely. I've had it with this East/West stereotype.

That's like saying you've listened to two or three American game composers and therefore know what Western music sounds like: as if Igbo drum music, Renaissance madrigals, Johnny Cash and the score to "Call of Duty 4" are all fundamentally the same, but music from Thailand is something else entirely. I've had it with this East/West stereotype.

This post is essentially accurate but unecessarily judgmental at the same time.

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I like it. Try a carrot next time.

The Promise - Klaus Badelt

The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Beyond Rangoon - Hans Zimmer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGxGYtERs4M

Mao's Last Dancer - Christopher Gordon

M. Butterfly - Howard Shore

Pavillion of Women - Conrad Pope

Anna and the King - George Fenton

Why not scores by Eastern composers?

I believe Faleel is looking for examples where eastern music is written for more mainstream western audiences.

I was thinking the same thing.

Where does the West end and the East begin? What's the criteria for such a clasification?

In trying to find new music around the world and classify it properly in my hard drive I realized I had to get really specific to make sense on some level. I have traditional/popular music sorted by place and then groups, and scores/concert works by composers independently of their styles.

Faleel is acting like a big old racist. Let's face it. I could name a few Chinese and Japanese composers right off the top of my head that write the sort of lush, romantic music he is seeking, but he doesn't seem interested. I guess music with different modalities and East Asian instruments is great, as long as it's written by an American or European guy.

its much easier for me to find eastern music from eastern composers (Hisaishi, Watanabe, Kanno, Amano etc.), than it is to find eastern music from Western composers (I am not racist, I just want to hear more of a musical style I like)

Faleel is acting like a big old racist. Let's face it. I could name a few Chinese and Japanese composers right off the top of my head that write the sort of lush, romantic music he is seeking, but he doesn't seem interested. I guess music with different modalities and East Asian instruments is great, as long as it's written by an American or European guy.

WTF? You're calling someone a racist? Inappropriate.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to hear how a Western composer handles a score that calls for Eastern music. If anything, it's interesting and enlightening to know how a student and artist (in this case, a composer) of one culture interprets art from another. This isn't a zero sum game; you can be interested in that and still be interested in actual "Eastern" music by composers from the East.

Maybe I haven't been around long enough and this is your sense of humor, and this is you being funny...and I don't know the Faleels reputation either, but either way, bringing racism into this is just wrong.

EDIT: Faleels biggest crime is that several people have offered suggestions and taken the trouble to post links to stuff and he hasn't said thank you or even acknowledged it. So rude? Possibly, but not racist as far as I can see!

Again, I think the point of his thread is being blown out of proportion. He just wants to hear how western composers who are usually unfamiliar to the genre approach eastern music and integrate it with their western sensibilities.

Again, I think the point of his thread is being blown out of proportion. He just wants to hear how western composers who are usually unfamiliar to the genre approach eastern music and integrate it with their western sensibilities.

That's how I read it as well.

I'd suggest Seven Years in Tibet, which I'm quite fond of, but you've probably heard that being a Williams' fan.

I have actually never heard it.

and thank you for all the suggestions.

its much easier for me to find eastern music from eastern composers (Hisaishi, Watanabe, Kanno, Amano etc.), than it is to find eastern music from Western composers (I am not racist, I just want to hear more of a musical style I like)

Okay, my bad. Just calling it like I see it. It sounded like you had no interest whatsoever in the "real deal," but I was incorrect.

I guess I'm troubled by all the talk at this forum over the years ridiculing composers with "foreign sounding" names, e.g. Ilaiyaraaja, A.R. Rahman, etc., and the idea that they only win accolades for meeting some diversity quota.

Maybe you should have written "Eastern influenced scores".

I'd suggest Seven Years in Tibet, which I'm quite fond of, but you've probably heard that being a Williams' fan.

I have actually never heard it.

and thank you for all the suggestions.

I listened to it yesterday evening. It has some interesting cues (for example with Tibetan chorus). The main theme is beautiful as well, as are the cello solos by Yo-Yo Ma.

I saw this film, and was actually given the score. It's interesting (the score), but started to grate on me after about 5 minutes of it.

I've rarely played it, but when I do, I'm always surprised how excitingly minimalistic and multi-layered it is all the way through.