• 4 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1 stars
    • 0 stars - FOTR sucks!
  3. 3. Erebor vs. Minas Tirith

• Erebor (Axe or Sword?)
    • Minas Tirith (Caras Galadhon)

Well, Erebor didn't really get a workout yet, just as Silver Trumpets was only briefly in FotR, so it's probably unfair to compair them at this point. But at THIS point, Silver Trumpets is really better.

• 5 months later...

It's the 6-note rising theme heard at 1:58 and 5:44 of My Dear Frodo, 0:56 and 1:54 of Axe or Sword, 2:06 of Warg Scoutes, 0:59 and 3:07 of Moon Runes. etc.

The Minas Tirith theme, as of yet, is simply the better theme. And its debut statement still sends the chills down the good ol' spine.

Can't say I disagree there. I was disappointed when I first heard it. Now I look at it as just one of those simpler leitmotifs, still effective enough in context.

It's sort of an unfair comparison really, given the poignance of the scene involving Boromir and Aragorn, and Bean's wonderful acting in that scene. I find it difficult in this instance to separate the music from the film.

I've always thought of the Dwarf Lords themes as similar to Minas Tirith in the way it descends, maybe well get grand statements of this Hobbit theme later down the line.

I believe so. We'll hear some cool stuff in The Battle of the Five Armies.

• 1 year later...

Yeah it's one of my favourite themes too. I'm always impressed by how diverse it is in the score too.

I thought Erebor was a wonderful theme back when AUJ first came out and the two further scores have just solidified that notion. There is something very dwarven about that simple form. Stoick, proud and unyielding yet it also forms musically the mountain's form as it were. First the up winding phrase followed by the down sloping answering phrase.

I absolutely adore how Thorin's theme and Erebor's are weaved together in BOTFA. It's like a New King under the Mountain theme.

The way Shore also initially show how things are not right with the dwarves with Thorin's dragon-sickness growing fiercer by twisting his dwarven themes, including Erebor, slightly and never offering quite the expected resolution is another great little dramatic idea. After Thorin sheds his madness the themes once again ring true and begin a heroic final charge together.

I must say the way Shore develops his simple Erebor/Lonely Mountain in the last film is nothing short of amazing. Not only the fabulous battle rendition in Sons of Durin (at 1:05):

http://youtu.be/_GjbswSSqgY

But the more martial score material developed from it (at 0:35):

http://youtu.be/9mAjp2tIopg

Karol