Is Peter Jackson becoming the new George Lucas?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not necessarily quality, its traits that the two are sharing. Clearly Jackson is a better filmmaker than Lucas ever was, but he has proven he is as prone to excess as much as Lucas. He's still got a solid foundation to bounce back, but I think The Hobbit makes it hard to argue this idea.

The prequels had one well shot film (TPM) that actually looks like, you know, a film, incredible art direction, and three fine scores by Williams (even if they're not on the same plane at the OT). In THE HOBBIT, everything that once I liked about the LOTR trilogy (a sense of age, scope, Andrew Lesnine's EXABALIR-esque anamorphic cinematography, iconic and truly memorable scores, great casting) was gone, but all that I hated (monotonous CGI battles, lazily directed dialogue, stilted acting, pomposity, dumbing down for the kids) was there in spades.

Fake plastic trees...

In retrospect I don't think I've seen more gaudy art direction than that of The Phantom Menace. The design of the thing is like the most spectacularly decorated wedding cake ever made.

If they do redo the effects in LOTR, I want more random piles of skulls all over the place. They wouldn't even need the bridge of Khazad Dum if they could just fill the gorge with skulls. Stuff like that.

If they do redo the effects in LOTR, I want more random piles of skulls all over the place. They wouldn't even need the bridge of Khazad Dum if they could just fill the gorge with skulls. Stuff like that.

Have you seen the ROTK Extended Edition?

Have to disagree there - From the perspective of not having read the book, The Lovely Bones is not a bad movie.

It's flawed, but I really enjoyed it.

Okay, I do sort of like The Lovely Bones but more as a guilty pleasure. The tone is all over the place and Saoirse Ronan's performance is painfully schmaltzy. The visuals are cool though and Stanley Tucci's performance is great.

The Hobbit is superior to the prequels in almost every aspect, starting from acting, script, and ending with some heart the prequels never had.

Plus, PJ is nowhere nearly as disrespectful towards his creation and fanbase as Lucas is.

Agreed. The Hobbit had a few issues but it was nothing close to the prequels.

Has nobody seen Heavenly Creatures?

Thought it was anodyne shite, just like LOVELY BONES. He's a got a very limited understanding of human psychology, and resorts to ghoulishness (see Stanley Tucci in BONES) or childish fantasy as a crutch, like he hasn't grown out of playing with action figures.

I thought Tucci was the best part of The Lovely Bones.

Have to disagree there - From the perspective of not having read the book, The Lovely Bones is not a bad movie.

Okay, I do sort of like The Lovely Bones but more as a guilty pleasure. The tone is all over the place and Saoirse Ronan's performance is painfully schmaltzy. The visuals are cool though and Stanley Tucci's performance is great.

Agreed. I hated pretty much everything besides Tucci (delightfully creepy) and the cinematography.

Tucci is in a different movie than the rest, though. Jackson should have done CITIZEN X with Tucci. The rest is a headbanging mess so misguided it should have earned PJ a corrective training course for film directors.

Even if that's true, The Lovely Bones does have some memorable scenes (most notably The Dollhouse scene and the Underground Shelter scene) and Soairse Ronan gave a surprisingly natural performance.