Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (M:I 5) by Joe Kraemer!

Jay

In the imax theater waiting for it to start!

Left my headphones at the damn office so I have to listen to the theater's interesting music choices instead of the OST. Blasted it the whole way here, though!

NPR did a nice little story on the music to Mission Impossible with interviews from Schifrin, Giacchino, Kraemer, and McQuarrie. Worth a listen. Williams gets mentioned twice and seems to imply he was going to score the first film in the series, which is something I had never heard before. It's 5 minutes and 40 seconds.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/30/427731324/four-composers-one-nearly-impossible-mission-to-reinvent-a-classic-theme

Here's another article about the score:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2228205/joe-kraemer-mission-impossible-rogue-nation-composer/

ALSO sorry Koray but I have to laugh - autographed copies were available until 10:45pm in our time zone!!! I told you to order!!!!

The following customers will receive signed copies of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

order #'s 101982 - 102351 ending at 7:47 pm pst

Looks like we will have this in a little early so Rogue should start shipping on Aug 6! :)

MV

Here's another article about the score:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2228205/joe-kraemer-mission-impossible-rogue-nation-composer/

ALSO sorry Koray but I have to laugh - autographed copies were available until 10:45pm in our time zone!!! I told you to order!!!!

The following customers will receive signed copies of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation

order #'s 101982 - 102351 ending at 7:47 pm pst

Looks like we will have this in a little early so Rogue should start shipping on Aug 6! :)

MV

Oh well!

NPR did a nice little story on the music to Mission Impossible with interviews from Schifrin, Giacchino, Kraemer, and McQuarrie. Worth a listen. Williams gets mentioned twice and seems to imply he was going to score the first film in the series, which is something I had never heard before. It's 5 minutes and 40 seconds. 

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/30/427731324/four-composers-one-nearly-impossible-mission-to-reinvent-a-classic-theme 

Did Kraemer borrow from Rosenthal's Clash of the Titans ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Listened to the digital download this morning, my first score of this particular composer.

In track 2 (Solomon Lane) I keenly noticed a impressive amount of pathos that I haven't really heard in a big franchise score for a while, and didn't expect to hear it from a fairly "new" composer.

I'll need to listen to it more of course, but the score if full with interesting rhythmic ideas, instrumental flourishes. It feel full bodies. Written with poise and dexterity. Kraemer makes good, but often subtle use of the Mission: Impossible theme, and in particular The Plot, which is really the better of the two themes anyway. Also noticed that he works a bit of Nessun Dorma in there as a sort of romantic, yearning theme. Nice callback to the opera scene in the movie.

I also have to call attention to the sound/recording quality. A lot of modern scores for big blockbuster films sound overly processed, overly loud, artificial and lacking in depth. From the surprisingly poor sounding Battle Of The Five Armies, to the painfully bright and shallow Jurassic World.

Rogue Nation sounds...just right. Exactly how a score of this type should sound. I don't know who recorded it, who mixed it, but they really did an outstanding job. Richly detailed, with plenty of depth, and when it does get loud, plenty of dynamics to deal with it. Excellent!

Yes, though Arnold incorporated a lot of modern elements in that score, something Kraemer does not do at all.

There are strong stylistic similarities though.

How so? Arnold already had Stargate and ID4 behind him when he did TND

I think he means the retro scoring approach for this film.

Amazon has the CD up for preorder, but no tracklist. I assume there's only one CD release and this will have the extra 2 tracks?

Yeah, there's one CD. Which 74-minute CD only.

And yeah, what Stefan said. I wasn't comparing their careers. It's always pointless. By that logic, Giacchino would be a bigger maverick than John Williams.

Karol

I'm going to listen to this today. I have high expectations after hearing what a few people say about it, and now you guys. Hopefully it's a more convincing and substantial attempt at what Beck tried for Ant-Man.

Yes, that is true. But he does that in general. He has a very breezy approach to scoring films, I can't really imagine a truly dramatic score from him. He has not done one yet, even in his few drama entries. Kraemer treats this film quite seriously.

Karol

I'm going to listen to this today. I have high expectations after hearing what a few people say about it, and now you guys. Hopefully it's a more convincing and substantial attempt at what Beck tried for Ant-Man.

You didn't like Ant-Man?

From the little I've heard of this score, I think it's a lot more satisfying than Beck's effort, which is not to say THE ANT-MAN is terrible score, however. They're two very different scores for two equally different films.

ROGUE NATION's second track is almost operatic in terms of thematic development and orchestration.

Because that's the whole vibe of the film, sort of an old-fashioned heist thingy? I mean, not even thirty seconds into it you hear those low unison flute lines, so it's obvious. But I think it didn't work at all and the "bah bah bahduh bah bah baduh" thing is just really irritating. Have a feeling Kraemer does it better, but we'll see.

For me, the film was as fun as the previous one. But quite different as well. It felt more old-fashioned in many ways.

Wish the knife fight cue was on the album.

Karol