Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (M:I 5) by Joe Kraemer!

Jay

11722306_10153593060748755_7422921422389

This Mission is worth accepting into your collection. Coming this Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 12 pm pst at www.lalalandrecords.com from La-La Land Records and Paramount Music.

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/np.1437790310031140.502903435/10153593060748755/?type=1&theater

01 The A400 (6:38)
02 Solomon Lane (4:08)
03 Good Evening, Mr. Hunt (2:35)
04 Escape To Danger (2:46)
05 Havana To Vienna (5:13)
06 A Flight At The Opera (2:23)
07 The Syndicate (3:44)
08 The Plan (3:21)
09 It's Impossible (1:23) *
10 The Torus (7:02)
11 Moroccan Pursuit (2:28)
12 Grave Consequences (4:12)
13 A Matter Of Going (5:06)
14 The Blenheim Sequence (4:00)
15 Audience With The Prime Minister (4:23)
16 This Is The End, Mr. Hunt (3:48) *
17 A Foggy Night in London (2:10)
18 Meet The IMF (1:47)
19 Finale And Curtain Call (6:14)
Total album time: 73:46
*CD Exclusive Track
Composed and conducted by Joe Kraemer
Album Produced by Joe Kraemer and John Finklea
Executive Album Producers: J.J. Abrams, Christopher McQuarrie & Randy Spendlove
Executive Producers for La-La Land Records: Dan Goldwasser, MV Gerhard & Matt Verboys

The question is, is Joe Kraemer the new Michael Giacchino?

The score is not as colourful and light as previous two by Gia. As far as compositional chops go, it's probably stronger. Fairly conservative.

Karol

What's the big deal about that?

I love Giacchino, but his MI scores have never been my favorites of his.

I actually very much enjoy those two.

But then, there's Elfman. And that's entirely on a different level. Even though it tends to be quite intrusive in the film itself.

Karol

Am I the only one who finds all four MI scores underwhelming? I mean, I love individual cues (e.g. Mood India), but on the whole, none of them really do it for me.

This is now listed on Amazon MP3, doesn't seem to be up on iTunes or Google Play yet, though

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012JMAN4O

Release date is this Friday, July 31st.

REMINDER: The La-La Land CD version - which we can buy tomorrow at 12:00 PST - will have TWO EXTRA TRACKS that are NOT available on the digital download version!

So we finally have a 420x420 digital cover

B012JMAN4O.01-A17SFUTIVB227Z._SX420_SCLZ

Huh, I didn't even know you guys reviewed it; No one posted a link here. I found it:

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/missionimpossible-roguenationbyjoekraemerreview

EDIT: Oh, the cover there is only 400x400, even smaller than the Amazon MP3 cover

Oh, I just found out the high res cover came from the Amazon CD listing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJDGTLS

Joe Kraemer did a great interview with Film Score Monthly Online about this score, and his Dr. Who score. If you are an FSM Online subcriber, you can read the whole thing here:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/fsmonline/story.cfm?maID=5263&issueID=127

I wanted to quote this one part of it, because I think its awesome

The starting point was the TV show. Chris and I decided to go back to the roots of Mission: Impossible. His script is sprinkled with references to the original TV show, from the pilot episode all the way through. Whenever we had a question about what we should do, we would turn at the TV show to look for an answer. When it came time for me to start working on the music, I decided that I wanted to write a score that, from a technology point of view, could have been recorded in 1966 when the pilot was made. That meant no synthesizers, no computer loops, no electronic instruments really of any kind. I didn’t want to use a rock drum kit and I didn’t want to use electric bass or electric guitar.

I felt like choosing that palette to realize the music would keep it sort of retro in a way, but I didn’t let that limit my thinking or my decisions compositionally. There was a sequence in this film that takes place in an underwater vault. It’s a high-tech vault and it seemed to be begging for a somewhat synthesized approach and I had to find a way to achieve that effect without breaking the rule I set for myself. I was inspired by the music of minimalist composers because, in a lot of ways to me, minimalist music has a lot in common with techno music, or electronica, trance, things like that. It was fun for me to explore ways to try to achieve that with acoustic instruments. What’s really gratifying to me is that the finished score has absolutely no electronics in it at all.

I love that he challenged himself like that, and his idea was a great one because the final result is so fantastic. Can't wait to hear it in the film.

Order #101986!

Oh, some new info on the order page:

Tracks 1,3–15,18,19 contain an interpolation of “THE MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE THEME”

Tracks 1,5,7,10,16 contain an interpolation of “THE PLOT (FROM MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE TV SERIES)”

Tracks 4,13,19 contain an interpolation of “NESSUN DORMA” (FROM TURANDOT)

OOf! Some other news (bolding is mine)

“MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – ROGUE NATION”

Music by Joe Kraemer

RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 10, 2015

JOE KRAEMER SPECIAL! To celebrate our release of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – ROGUE NATION, we are offering Joe Kraemer’s great JACK REACHER score at a special sale price of $9.98 each. Sale begins 7/28 at 12noon (PST) and runs thru 8/10. Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

Also, check out Joe Kraemer’s score to FAVOR available from iTunes here! https://itunes.apple.com/album/favor-original-motion-picture/id867547274

That device you carry around in your pocket all day, you can enter things into it's calendar and have it remind you about stuff....

As of 3:30 today (12:30 PST):

Orders keep coming in

Joe is gonna sign around 200 booklets. 150 of those are already spoken for by you fine customers. Get yours in now if you want a signed edition to one of the best scores of 2015!

MV

It took me under a minute to place my order. How long can it take to type in a credit card number?

KORAY! ORDER NOW!

Are there still autographed copies of Rogue Nation, please?

About 15, so if you want one hurry up

MV

Joe Kraemer did a great interview with Film Score Monthly Online about this score, and his Dr. Who score. If you are an FSM Online subcriber, you can read the whole thing here:

Doctor Who?

Doctor Who?

Yes.

Are you not an FSMO subscriber?

He scored and did the sfx for a radio drama about the seventh doctor

The score works really well in the film. Certainly not a million miles removed from Gia's style of the last two. (the opening cue with the rather obnoxious chords rather reminded me of Gia) but overall it feels more solid.

Plenty of use of both the main theme and The Plot (moreso then any of the other scores I think)

These scores are done in a very similar way as Bond scores.