BloodBoal

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I know this is not the place to ask..but why nobody has tried this with the lost world?

I've been working on it. Most of it is waiting to be exported and uploaded. I just haven't had the time to finish it and do all the write-ups.

And I was wondering if I should do Jurassic Park first.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I've been working on it. Most of it is waiting to be exported and uploaded. I just haven't had the time to finish it and do all the write-ups.

And I was wondering if I should do Jurassic Park first.

that's great!

i'll await your results, :) You can do JP as well ;)

Jurassic Park is far less interesting, though, because most of the music appears in the film as is.

The main thing to take away from Jurassic Park is that almost all the "scary monster music" featuring the carnivore motif was dropped in favor of either more adventurous music or just letting the dinosaur sound design speak for itself. And the movie became better for it.

With The Lost World, restoring the dropped music really is like seeing a different version of the film.

Looking forward to seeing your work, Mr B!

And nice to see you in the Tolkien threads; Do you listen to Shore's Hobbit scores with any regularity these days?

Nah. I'm kind of over The Hobbit.

An Unexpected Journey is good, as is the first half of Desolation of Smaug. The second half of DoS is tedious and BotFA is just going through the motions. I like the BotFA song, though.

I am these days torn between AUJ and DoS. Both have awesome film music moments, the DoS especially in the second half with On the Doorstep and all the Smaug music. BotFA is a decent score but as I have said many times before the mix is abominable which turns me off of listening to it at any regularity.

2 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

And Beyond the Forest :lovethis:

Has anyone been listening to the Hobbit scores recently? I haven't for a while.

Ironically, even though I think it's the least strong of the three, I listen to BotFA all the time, sometimes DoS, but rarely AUJ.

On 16-2-2017 at 11:42 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

that's great!

i'll await your results, :) You can do JP as well ;)

The Lost World is probably more in demand, but I decided to try my hand at a write-up with Jurassic Park first. A first draft of the Jurassic Park write-up is nearly finished, so you can expect to see that one before I deep dive into The Lost World. :)

3 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

To me most of it will, the only bits that won't are those that are poorly mixed (which to my ears are the first Girion theme in Fire and Water, and the build up to Dain's theme in Battle for the Mountain).

I think you mean contemporary writing as opposed to contemporary sounds? It's still all acoustic/live/non modern instruments (except maybe some of the experimental percussion is more modern). I still don't think the action writing sounds significantly like modern action scoring, the score still breath's Shore's middle earth to me.

Particularly timeless sounding moments:

- My Dear Frodo opening

- Over Hill

- A Good Omen

- Quest For Erebor opening

- DOS title card

- Feast of Starlight/Beyond the Forest

- Thrice Welcome

- On the Doorstep

- The BOTFA title card with Erebor theme

- The Darkest Hour

- Opening of The Fallen up to Thorin's theme

- All of Courage and Wisdom/The Return Journey/There and Back Again

The rhythmic patterns and ostinati used firmly places the score of BOTFA in the era P.Z. (Past Zimmer).

I agree that Shore's LOTR trilogy will be a timeless classic forever.  It holds up remarkably well already.

The Hobbit, I dunno, it had potential too, but BOFA sounds so weird in comparison to all the others I don't think it will.  And Jim Ware told us BOFA would ultimately sound the most like LOTR after we heard AUJ!

35 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Listen to 'There and Back Again'.

That's funny, every time I listen to that track, I think to myself that it's a very good example of how Shire music doesn't sound the same if Shore doesn't fully orchestrate it himself.

On 17. Februar 2017 at 11:01 PM, BloodBoal said:

Sure, that one piece completes the transition to LOTR since it is a complete rehash of material from FOTR, but the BOFA score itself doesn't really do that (which was what gkgyver was arguing).

What I was saying was that those direct quotes also sound a bit off compared to LotR, and especially FotR.

The biggest difference is that there is not a single wasted or needless note or orchestration in FotR. Everything sounds exactly how it needs to sound, there is no theme hidden underneath blankets of ornamentation to cover its weaknesses, no rambling piano lines, there is melodic clarity, everything has musical purpose, the orchestrations are refreshingly clear and crisp. I don't see that a whole lot in BOTFA. Sure, the central setpieces are great, Smaug Attack, Sons Of Durin, the finale etc, but oftentimes, I feel like there is directionless music that doesn't really mean a whole lot. Especially some of the action music that is more driven by rhythmic patterns than anything else.

And sometimes I feel like it's a tiny bit overorchestrated, and lacks the transparency that made LotR so good. Less is sometimes more.