What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Luckily I only really use one input, since my AV Receiver is where the all my HDMI devices plug into (Switch, Wii U, PS4, SNES Classic, BD Player, Amazon Firebox) and then the only inputs the TV needs is HDMI from the AV Receiver, and my HD antennae!

Does that receiver manage your chroma subsampling? I doubt it will.

It's what you choose not to care about if you want completely inaccurate and washed out colour/contrast levels. Jay's probably one of those guys who leaves his tele on the default 'vibrant' setting, a retailer's ideal customer.

How is it a pointless upgrade?  My AV Receiver will pass through the HDR signal from my PS4 and Amazon firebox to my HDR TV just fine.

😁

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

My AV Receiver will pass through the HDR signal from my PS4 and Amazon firebox to my HDR TV just fine.

No it won't. But don't worry about it.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It's what you choose not to care about if you want completely inaccurate and washed out colour/contrast levels. Jay's probably one of those guys who leaves his tele on the default 'vibrant' setting, a retailer's ideal customer.

And you've gone and added all this stuff that wasn't here before.

I certainly never use any of those awful settings, of course.  Dunno why you'd assume that.

I am 100% positive that I will not have "completely inaccurate and washed out colors" from my PS4 output that passes through my Onkyo 646 into my TCL 55R617 through HDCP2.2 complaint HDMI cables.  But you can believe what you want to believe, I don't care.

I didn't "add" anything actually, you simply missed it. It was a reply to Drax. While I was typing it, I even saw the "Jay replied" popup appear at the bottom of my page.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am 100% positive that I will not have complete inaccurate and washed out colors from my PS4 output that passes through my Onkyo 646 into my TCL 55R617 through HDMI2.2 complaint cables.  But you can believe what you want to believe, I don't care.

Uh I dunno, this rather detailed paragraph tells me that you suddenly care quite a lot.

Oh, I care about picture quality, and have good components (in my price range, I cannot afford the best stuff out there).  I just don't care about your personal opinion that the equipment I chose is not up to your standards.  I didn't solicit your opinion, and I'm already happy about my purchases.

I would never talk poorly about someone else's (expensive) purchasing choices, unless they specifically asked me for an opinion about them. But you can do what you want to do.

And I provided no new information in that paragraph (actually just a single sentence); I already linked to my receiver and tv model #s on the previous page.

Funnily enough I didn't notice that information earlier, nor memorise it. But I appreciate your fervent reiterating of it now, thanks.

Edit 1: a quick browse on the enthusiasts sites appears to reveal (expected) issues:

Screenshot_20180501-190846.jpeg

Screenshot_20180501-190158.jpeg

Screenshot_20180501-190517.jpeg

Fingers crossed you'll be fine though, and at least you don't care about it anyway :)

Edit 2: I see you made a significant edit to the post above and added some expanded remarks. This is getting to be a bit of a hassle tbh.

For reference, your original post looked like this:

I provided no new information in that paragraph (actually just a single sentence); I already linked to my receiver and tv model #s on the previous page

But this added part is a bit confusing:

I would never talk poorly about someone else's (expensive) purchasing choices, unless they specifically asked me for an opinion about them. But you can do what you want to do

Eh? At no point did I criticise your purchase. In fact, earlier I implied I'd have potentially bought one myself, had they been available in my country. No, I simply asked a question about your receiver's HDR capabilities. It was a genuine enquiry; it had absolutely nothing to do with my own "personal standards" - it was literally an objective line of thought which sought to find out whether or not you would be able to achieve proper RGB HDR with your home setup. Which got your back RIGHT THE FUCK UP for some reason.

That reason, Jason, is that you're a touchy little biatch about this sort of thing. Aren't you. You completely overreact, we see it happen all the time here. To me though, it's hilarious!

Best of luck with your HDR.

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Honestly the LG C7 looks superb out of the box. I haven’t fiddled with the settings yet. 

So what do LG call their retail floor "vibrant" setting? ;)

Kate thought 55" was going to be way overkill in our living room, because I think they do look stupidity large when you see them on display. But after getting it and placing it on the unit, it was surprisingly... fine. Like, we couldn't even tell the difference. I'm looking at it now, it just looks slightly larger than the previous 47" display.

Our living room is small, and the best spot to put a TV is between the 2 windows in the room.  The width of a 55" TV is almost exactly the full length between them, it'll be a little tight.

For the distant we'll be sitting from it, 65" would be overkill, even if there wasn't the windows to think about.

It will be a nice upgrade from my 10 year old 46" Samsung LCD with a massive bezel.

Samsung LNT4661F 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

Those Samsung sets were at one time the nicest looking HD TVs on the market.

Flat rotating stands need to make a comeback, they're much more practical than the stupid leg stand things they come with now.

Yea, and it still works exactly the same today as it did when I got it!  I really have no issues with it, and don't "need" 4K, or HDR, or built-in SmartTV functionality... but upgrading to 55" will be fantastic, and I'm sure I'll love all those other upgrades as well!

With any luck, I'll actually start Horizon: Zero Dawn this week.  Might play a shorter game like Alien Isolation or Uncharted 1 first though

Oh OK I thought it was a shorty.  Good to know.

I just looked up Netflix cause I remembered that they offered 4K content; Turns out you have to pay them an extra $3 a month to get their "Ultra HD" plan!  Bollocks!

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

So what do LG call their retail floor "vibrant" setting? ;)

I don’t use the vibrant setting ;)

The game setting looks fantastic so far and I use an Expert Technicolor setting for movies and TV, similarly to how I used the THX-certified setting on my plasma. I’m sure some refinements can be made, but I just haven’t bothered yet since the resolution is a real eye opener compared to my older TV. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh OK I thought it was a shorty.  Good to know.

I just looked up Netflix cause I remembered that they offered 4K content; Turns out you have to pay them an extra $3 a month to get their "Ultra HD" plan!  Bollocks!

You're gonna go 1080 on your brand new 4K screen for 3 bucks a month?

:D

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, I care about picture quality ...

10 hours ago, Jay said:

... my 10 year old 46" Samsung LCD ....

Samsung LNT4661F 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

:eh:

I have a 32" LCD TV in my other room that's been a friggin workhorse for eight years. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. And yet the high-end, luxury devices seem to have a self-destruct built into them that activates after a few years.

I don't understand Alex's point.  You're criticizing some TV purchasing decision I made 10 years ago when I was a poor 28 year old?

Why?

So your post criticizing my 10 year old purchase was what then?  Just bored today?

28 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Just because I like Samsung doesn't mean I'm not a videophile snob, Jay.

How does that answer my question?

In your head, it makes sense to spend the effort to criticize a purchase someone made 10 years ago if it is not up to your standards when they did not ask anyone for input about said 10 year old purchase?

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You like Bose now too, right?

Hmmm...

The original AE2 headphones were pretty good. They have a pleasant sound and it's like you're not wearing headphones at all. The new ones, however, I don't like. So no, I'm not really a Bose man but I don't hate them.

Can anyone recommend a good soundbar? My cheapo only has RCA inputs and Bluetooth, so only my Firestick is synched. My video games use the TV speakers, which I normally keep muted while using the blueray or cable box, but the slight delay is getting annoying. 

My TV does have optical audio out, but I would be okay with using HDMI ARC inputs. A wireless subwoofer with the ability to use rear speakers would be nice too.

Currently my soundbar and air conditioner are next to each other, so in the heat of summer, they battle each other. Reconfiguring my room is not an option. 

• 2 weeks later...