What kind of TV do you own?

Koray Savas

Did they? I thought Panasonic acquired the patent from Pioneer after they ceased production. And the Pioneer TV engineers transferred to Panasonic too.

And remember, there's nothing wrong with the panel on my Pana. The HDMI board blew from a faulty blu-ray player plugged into it.

(I'm trying to save some money here, but if I win the $100 million Powerball tonight, that shouldn't be a problem)

Yes, Panasonic made the basic screens for Pioneer, without most of the electronics and the color filter, of course. That's probably why later Pana required some of Pioneer's own patents.

It's like LG making all the basic OLED panels for Sony, Philips, Panasonic and Loewe.

The problem I have with these modern TVs is the abundance of software built into them, which makes them more prone to failure. Why can't they just release a 65" OLED bare bones monitor? And then I'll decide if I want to plug an external smart TV box into it.

I'm hoping as people become more wary for their privacy (the Samsung scandal, the Facebook scandal, etc), "dumb" TVs will make a comeback.

Plus it'd be more ideal to simply replace and upgrade your media box rather than having to upgrade your TV like it's a friggin mobile phone.

I recently replaced my 46" Samsung 1080P LCD with a 55" TLC 4K HDR LCD and I freaking love the thing.  The only problem has been difficulty in finding 4K content.  Netflix offers some but it's not that great.

I was watching Better Call Saul in 4K last night, but not HDR. And yet Stranger Things has both. Netflix really needs to up their game with this, as Amazon already offers 4K and HDR as standard with their newer content and at no extra cost. 

Yea, Glow and Orange is the New Black light up the HDR icon on my TV, but neither show has stunning visuals in any way whatsoever so it barely matters.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah, because people are really gonna cancel Netflix....

I've been considering it recently actually!

Just now, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The Mrs probably insisted on the cheapest one that looked "good enough".

This is how I feel about TVs.  Good enough is good enough for me.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah, because people are really gonna cancel Netflix....

Bit of an overreaction. Over a lack of 4K HDR? People generally care more about the actual content rather than ultra HD.

My TV is a Sony.

The regular hype for OLED in here from seemingly not that savvy "enthusiasts" is surprising to me. The tech is expensive and by all accounts is still not there yet, particularly in terms of reliability. I wouldn't go for OLED at this time even if prices were halved. Screen burn is a genuine issue for video games and other graphics (GUI) sources, so one wouldn't want to have Windows desktop icons glowing up there for too long (it isn't uncommon nowadays for folk to HDMI their PCs to their large living room displays). Moreover, people who watch a lot of news have reported station logos permanently burned into the corners of their sets (but maybe Drax would quite like to have a FOX branded panel anyway). And as crystal clear and vibrant as OLED is (along with pretty much all alternative top end TV tech these days); its peak brightness just isn't as accomplished as LED, at this time. That's pro advice for you shopfloor dazzled guys. Look it up.

Different TVs but yeah. Modern tech is nice but has no longevity.

I was perving at the OLED TVs today and thinking they look so nice and they'd quench my thirst for filmic images, but are they reliable? Will one set hold its own for about ten years without shitting itself like you'd expect from a $3,000+ device? Seriously who can afford to replace these things every year?

On 8/17/2018 at 4:29 AM, Quintus said:

The regular hype for OLED in here from seemingly not that savvy "enthusiasts" is surprising to me. The tech is expensive and by all accounts is still not there yet, particularly in terms of reliability. I wouldn't go for OLED at this time even if prices were halved. Screen burn is a genuine issue for video games and other graphics (GUI) sources, so one wouldn't want to have Windows desktop icons glowing up there for too long (it isn't uncommon nowadays for folk to HDMI their PCs to their large living room displays). Moreover, people who watch a lot of news have reported station logos permanently burned into the corners of their sets (but maybe Drax would quite like to have a FOX branded panel anyway). And as crystal clear and vibrant as OLED is (along with pretty much all alternative top end TV tech these days); its peak brightness just isn't as accomplished as LED, at this time. That's pro advice for you shopfloor dazzled guys. Look it up.

My Panasonic plasma had many burn in and image retention issues from the start. My OLED has none of that so far.

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

My Panasonic plasma had many burn in and image retention issues from the start. My OLED has none of that so far.

Picture quality wise, how do you like your OLED compared to your old Plasma? 

Image burn is not an issue as long if you don't play the same video game all day long. Variation is key.

I get a bit wary of the letterbox bars on plasma, so you need to alternate to ensure they don't leave a permanent mark. I've prowled the AV forums and found this phenomenon has been reported in OLED TVs too. I don't care when some smart arse says "but that hasn't happened to me!" as if it's somehow impossible among all panels because they luckily got a more resilient set. The fact is display tech whose pixels are individually lit are significantly more vulnerable to IR/BI than backlit display tech.

On my old Plasma, I could often see the ghostly black bars from the previous movie but the new content washed that away. My first Plasma (Samsung) was definitely more prone to image retention than my newer Plasma (again Samsung). With OLED, that what is black doesn't wear down (because the OLEDs are switched off) so you 'might' notice something after 10 years or so. 

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Picture quality wise, how do you like your OLED compared to your old Plasma? 

Image burn is not an issue as long if you don't play the same video game all day long. Variation is key.

That’s hard to accomplish when you’re addicted to Call Of Duty ;)

Even with variation my plasma was prone to retention, despite my constant use of the screen wipe feature. You wouldn’t notice it much unless you were watching something that had a lot of whites or other bright colors, but over time it built up a fuzzy layer over everything that I never realized was there until I saw how sharp the resolution on the 4K OLED looked. It’s still a fine looking TV, and is now delegated to my bedroom. 

But besides the sharpness, do you like how a movie looks on an OLED TV? Because the technology is different than Plasma, I imagine the texture of the images looks different as well? I know that was the problem I had with LCD-LED .

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

On my old Plasma, I could often see the ghostly black bars from the previous movie but the new content washed that away. My first Plasma (Samsung) was definitely more prone to image retention then my newer Plasma (again Samsung). With OLED, that what is black doesn't wear down (because the OLEDs are switched off) so you 'might' notice something after 10 years or so. 

This still makes no sense to me because even in OLED the non-letterbox part of the image would be aging faster than the black bar part, which would eventually leave a visible impression of non-uniformity.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:44 PM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Trinitrons didn't have burn in.

Back in the day (c. late 20th cent.), Sony Trinitrons were the television to own. I only ever had one in my life, but I was stupidly proud of it at the time. So silly...

I want a good CRT for my old game consoles but I don't want one bigger than 20 or 25 inches.  Too bulky and heavy bigger than that.  I don't even know where to get a good one, been looking for years at like thrift stores and such.

7 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

Back in the day (c. late 20th cent.), Sony Trinitrons were the television to own. I only ever had one in my life, but I was stupidly proud of it at the time. So silly...

I've had several.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I want a good CRT for my old game consoles but I don't want one bigger than 20 or 25 inches.  Too bulky and heavy bigger than that.  I don't even know where to get a good one, been looking for years at like thrift stores and such.

Not too long ago, I overhead a young woman (early 20s, my guess was) talking about the weird knobs on the front of her grandma's TV -- made me feel so old, and I'm only 39!

I know what you mean about the old CRTs --  there's just something warm and true about those old sets that makes them the only proper companion to the NES, SNES, and the like. I hope you manage to find one!