TWIN PEAKS

Romão

For the first minute or so, sure. Frankly, I'm not a fan of Lynch using TP as a weekly platform for music videos anyway, and if they are to continue to feature I may just fast-forward past the tracks I don't particularly like the sound of so that I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. Those scenes have also introduced 'fourth wall' issues into the mix, which I find problematic in regards to the broader experience.  

Yeah. 

I'm going to watch this episode again actually, because it's really in my mind. But I'm going to shorten down the sequences which for me detract from the viewing. I bet doing so works wonders. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is 5-10 minutes of footage from the inside of an explosion really justified too? That was so nearly a great and momentous sequence, before the monotony of the imagery and sound wrestled the captivation away from me. The sheer length of that montage really quite grated.

Much like 2001's own overlong LSD sequence, I think its length serves its purpose. 

2 hours ago, KK said:

Much like 2001's own overlong LSD sequence, I think its length serves its purpose. 

That was surely the scene which was evoked in most people's minds when watching this. And it has always been the one part of that film which I found to be excessively long, as I've spoken about here in the past. 

When I was speaking about this with my wife last night, I did suggest that in the end these bizarrely long sequences might yet lend gravitas and greater emotional impact to future events in Twin Peaks yet to be revealed. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Agreed. However with 2001 it came near the end of the film and felt like a natural progression of what we had seen before. In this it probably didnt feel as earned.

I'm not sure that 'earned' has anything to do with it in this particular case. This episode was almost exclusively dedicated to the creation of the Black Lodge, in all its mystic ponderings and visualizations. The (failed) killing of Mr. C was an excellent segueway into this creation story, and the Nine Inch Nails song the perfect "overture" or "bridge", if you will. Although I like a lot of what Reznor has done as a film composer, I've never been a big NIN fan myself (unlike Rammstein, where I am a huge fan and completist!), but in this case, I thought it was perfect musical casting.

Thor, The Black Lodge is ancient and predates The Manhattan Project. We didn't witness the creation of that place, or The White Lodge either. We saw the 'birth' of Bob. 

This episode was about the evil spewed into our world by 'The Mother', as made possible by the detonation of the atomic bomb. As if it tore open a sort of rift. 

OK, then. But I feel there was something more going on here than "just" the birth of Bob. Something ancient outside time, even if the "external" catalyst was the atomic bomb in 1945. As we went into the bomb, we also went outside time. At least that's my take on it.

I think the Laura Palmer orb was an antidote, in a way. Kind of a Christian metaphor here. She's created from the spirit of the Giant, just as Bob is created by the Evil Mother -- and as she's sent off to the Pacific Midwest on that old cinema screen, she takes the role of the Christ-like saviour who has to give her life to restore some sort of balance. In this episode, she basically turned into mythology, no longer just a 'girl' that happened to be in the center of the storm.

Note that the atomic bomb has already been foreshadowed by the big poster in Gordon Cole's office.

Some say the Laura orb was her sending down as a sort of elemental force for good to counter Bob by the White Lodge, which doesn't really make much sense to me. I've also seen my own initial theory repeated a couple of times while I've been having a read online, that perhaps she's intended to be prey for him, a "honeytrap" bait to lure him out of our world and back where he belongs. 

But I really haven't a solid clue about that aspect at the moment. 

The new series started with the Giant and Cooper in black and white. The Giant telling Coop something was in their house now. With the strange noise coming from the phonograph. Not unlike the locusts noise we heard in the latter part of ep 8.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think the Laura Palmer orb was an antidote, in a way. Kind of a Christian metaphor here. She's created from the spirit of the Giant, just as Bob is created by the Evil Mother -- and as she's sent off to the Pacific Midwest on that old cinema screen, she takes the role of the Christ-like saviour who has to give her life to restore some sort of balance.

Another version of The Chosen One Mythology? I really hope Lynch has something more interesting planned than Laura Palmer being Neo/Luke/Harry Potter etc.

Also, isnt the Black Lodge supposed to be a place of pure evil? 

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Note that the atomic bomb has already been foreshadowed by the big poster in Gordon Cole's office.

Given that he's in charge of the Blue Rose cases, or the "X-Files", it's apparent to me that top men ( ;) )  in his department (along with Major Briggs) have a working understanding of the weird inter-dimensional shit that went down July 16, 1945. The nuke mushroom photograph is clearly hanging there for a reason. 

Another interesting tidbit I got from the MUBI article, which had completely escaped my memory, is the significance of the convenience store:

Out of the flames and molecular breakdown of the atom bomb arises the "Convenience Store" that MIKE, the One-Armed Man (Al Strobel), referenced in the original series's third installment, in a scene edited down from the international version of the "Pilot" episode. (His exact words: "We lived among the people. I think you say 'convenience store.' We lived above it." Note, of course, that the building has no "above" where a room could be.)

20 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Another version of The Chosen One Mythology? I really hope Lynch has something more interesting planned than Laura Palmer being Neo/Luke/Harry Potter etc.

This archetypally simplistic hypothesis sort of goes against Thor's otherwise ardent determination, as he has frequently reinforced here, to find profound meaning and significance in Lynch's creation, doesn't it? So after all that we're still in Hero's Journey territory? Hahahaha! 

I, too, am hoping for something more significant than the Christ myth all over again. But even if it's just that, I love the way they executed it, visually.

I don't know if the YouTube video of the nuke scene has been shortened in length, or if it just doesn't feel as numbingly long to watch - when it hasn't followed on from a terrible Nine Inch Nails song. I quite enjoyed it when I watched it again just now tbh, as a standalone sequence. But with 5 minutes of NIN on top it was like being whacked around the head. NIN spoiled it! 

I still have to watch the Twin Peaks movie.

But I figured what we just witnessed was the creation of Bob. And it's cool to see that his birth was tied directly to more evil doings of mankind itself. Perhaps the bomb opened some kind of rift between the Black Lodge and Earth? 

The ghostly figure that puked Bob out (puking - being a common thing with Black Lodge spirits) may be same one that we caught a glimpse of in the ominous box in opening episode (the one that killed the couple). Laura Palmer seems to have been sent as some kind of counter-force to Bob from the White Lodge.

The Woodsman character at the end really fascinates me. Is he sort of the antithesis of the lady from the White Lodge?

2 hours ago, KK said:

The Woodsman character at the end really fascinates me. 

I've heard these guys called Soot Ghosts too, I like that title. I have a feeling they are the mythical race known as Dugpas. Agents of the Black Lodge. 

More here:

http://abovethestore.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-obscure-twin-peaks-theosophy-and.html?m=1

Remember that everything is just a theory though. 

40 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Really liked the piece of music playing when the Giant started floating and he "created" Laura Palmer. I'm assuming it's a pre-existing piece of music?

It was the standout cue for me, very Twin Peaks-y. We have to claw onto those little morsels! 

2 hours ago, KK said:

The ghostly figure that puked Bob out (puking - being a common thing with Black Lodge spirits) may be same one that we caught a glimpse of in the ominous box in opening episode (the one that killed the couple). Laura Palmer seems to have been sent as some kind of counter-force to Bob from the White Lodge.

Yeah, consensus is that it's the same figure from the box killing. It's referred to as "Experiment" in the end credits.

2 hours ago, KK said:

The Woodsman character at the end really fascinates me. Is he sort of the antithesis of the lady from the White Lodge?

The woodsman (and men) are obviously related to the Woodsman character that Jürgen Prochnow played in FWWM.

I also loved this track:

Do you guys think there was any particular significance to the fact that the bug thing that hatched in the desert was a sort of a frog/locust hybrid? I got a really strong Plagues of Egypt vibe over that

I think we've yet to see what kind of creature that locust thing is, and what its relevance is.

The 30s ball room music in that scene was written by Lynch and some other guy (I forget the name).

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You should really watch it (along with The Missing Pieces). The sooner, the better. Lots of elements in that movie play an important part in Season 3.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. I've largely avoided it because of the negative reviews, but clearly there's a lot of mythology to draw from the film.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME is one of the best films of the 90s, and has thankfully received the kudos it deserves over the years since it was first released. Don't hesitate!

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, consensus is that it's the same figure from the box killing. It's referred to as "Experiment" in the end credits.

The woodsman (and men) are obviously related to the Woodsman character that Jürgen Prochnow played in FWWM.

More reason to check out the film then!

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME is one of the best films of the 90s, and has thankfully received the kudos it deserves over the years since it was first released. Don't hesitate!

OR...Thor loves everything that has to do with Lynch and Twin Peaks and is therefore a completely unreliable source as to the actual quality. For examples look for the Aliens films and Jurassic Park...

;)

Fire Walk With Me is an incredible movie and absolutely indispensable watching for the Twin Peaks experience.

And the score is Bandalamenti's masterpiece

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

OR...Thor loves everything that has to do with Lynch and Twin Peaks and is therefore a completely unreliable source as to the actual quality. For examples look for the Aliens films and Jurassic Park...

;)

Oh yes, I'm heavily biased, as one usually is when one loves something.

But in terms of TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME, the love of the film extends into my most of my colleagues. When we (our magazine) did the Top 100 movies of the 90s awhile back, it came in 5th place!

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You should really watch it (along with The Missing Pieces). The sooner, the better. Lots of elements in that movie play an important part in Season 3.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Hmmm. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. I've largely avoided it because of the negative reviews, but clearly there's a lot of mythology to draw from the film.

Fire Walk With Me I did not like at all when I watched it years ago, but I've been thinking of rewatching it if only to aid my understanding of events in Twin Peaks 3. At the end of the day FWWM is canon. The Missing Pieces though I have no interest in, because it is deleted footage and therefore not canon. Lynch and Frost are professional filmmakers, and I'm trusting that they will succeed in telling the story they are trying to tell via their completed and released work in the Twin Peaks universe. If a person is required to also watch obsolete deleted scenes or study external literature in order to fully understand the story then they will have failed. 

On 26/06/2017 at 6:35 AM, scallenger said:

WHAT THE F**K WAS ALL OF THAT?!

My feeling exactly - in a good way.

On 26/06/2017 at 6:35 AM, scallenger said:

I also feel like Lynch was channeling 2001 A Space Odyssey with his music and visual choices at one point. That was one of the best parts!

There was a pretty strong Kubrick vibe in the early episodes of the new season for me already, but now I'm beginning to think that Lynch is trying to out-Kubrick Kubrick.

We started watching tonight! 

Couldn't convince her to watch FWWM though. Still never seen that.