Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I think Doug mentioned on Twitter that there are more common figures in the themes of Hobbit because of the smaller nature of the story. Good examples are of course the dwarven themes and how they connect to Bard's themes.

Listening to this made me realize that the Politicians of Laketown theme sounds like the beginning of the Woodland Realm theme!

Features some of the unreleased music edited out of Shores Of The Long Lake, as well as some cool material from Fire And Water.

Yeah thats 2 bits from Fire&Water right there (for Thorins scene and for Bard running out of arrows)

also it has the part of Ruins Of Dale that was microedited out on the album

though I am not sure if it has anything new for Shores of the Long Lake, that Politicians theme sounded more like what I heard during the first crossdressing Alfrid scene

though I am not sure if it has anything new for Shores of the Long Lake, that Politicians theme sounded more like what I heard during the first crossdressing Alfrid scene

I was thinking of the Bard's Family theme statement. ;)

You may be right about that Politicians theme statement.

EDIT: Damn, I realized that this Bard's Family theme statement is actually from Fire And Water.

actually they could be one and the same, they sound similar enough

as in that Fire&Water statement was tracked to the Long Lake scene to replace the first BardtheLeader appearance

The politicians statement is from the Crossdressing scene.

The Bard Family statement in the other crossdressing scene is not the same as this statement IIRC.

It's so odd to me that Alfrid's Theme was completely axed from the OST after being used in the film so frequently...

The Credits music seems to be:

Ironfoot (Laketown Theme) > The Darkest Hour (Laketown/Bard Theme) > Poor Souls (?) (Unreleased bit of Fire and Water) > Shores of the Long Lake (More prominent Recorder) > Coward in a Corset > The Runs of Dale (microedits restored) > Bard Alone (Unreleased bit of Fire and Water) > The Statue (Unreleased bit of Fire and Water) > Ironfoot (Laketown/Bard in action, with extra instruments)

But what are they referring to? What "statue"? When is "Bard alone"? And who are the "poor souls"?

#1 the statue of the Master right by where Bain hid the black arrow.

#2 When he is on the bell tower shooting at Smaug.

#3 The people of Laketown. Balin (I think) calls them that,

And part of Bred For War is actually part of Battle for the Mountain.

The statement of Bard's family in that replaces Bard the Leader Shores of the Long Lake scene is tracked from Fire and Water.

Wait what are you saying? There's tracked music on the OST?

No, I just poorly worded my post. (If you are referring to the part about Shores of the Long Lake)

However apparently there is some music taken from one track and placed into another: The Descending Thirds in Bred For War are actually from Battle of the Mountain, you can hear them in the clip posted a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQIspKwj8Tk#t=27

I suppose it could be tracked, but it does not appear in its Bred for War position in the film.

None of the lyrics to any of the Hobbit scores have been released, unfortunately.

Doug's liner notes do contain a line or two with translation.

I guess they decided to save everything for the book this time around.

I wonder if the printed sheet music has any lyrics.

what do you mean? Printed for the musicians performing the score?

Ah sorry I meant the piano books and the like they usually release at the same time with the soundtracks. I can't recall if the LotR ones contained any lyrics to go with the music.

True. All we have to do now is to wait for Doug's book. All will be revealed.

No, I just poorly worded my post. (If you are referring to the part about Shores of the Long Lake)

However apparently there is some music taken from one track and placed into another: The Descending Thirds in Bred For War are actually from Battle of the Mountain, you can hear them in the clip posted a while back:

I suppose it could be tracked, but it does not appear in its Bred for War position in the film.

Yeah there doesnt seem to be any scene that could use the Descending Thirds during the BredforWar segment

(Unless it was supposed to play for the Azog tunnel scene)

Also the actual first Descending Thirds statement from the Battle for the Mountains track (0:49) seems to loop twice which makes it sound more like the BredforWar version too

(in actuality its probably just a microedit on the album)

Yeah there doesnt seem to be any scene that could use the Descending Thirds during the BredforWar segment

(Unless it was supposed to play for the Azog tunnel scene)

Also the actual first Descending Thirds statement from the Battle for the Mountains track (0:49) seems to loop twice which makes it sound more like the BredforWar version too

(in actuality its probably just a microedit on the album)

I think if the piano books had lyrics they would have been reported here by now

They were. At least, the one for AUJ has lyrics for "My Dear Frodo". "Radagast" and "A Good Omen". Unless you were talking about the complete sets of lyrics w/ translation. The ones in the piano book are phonetic only.

How unfortunate that they are phonetic only. But I guess scant few are fluent in the tongues of Tolkien's world. ;)

Right, I meant English translation of the lyrics used in the scores, not just phonetic transciptions.

I think it's more likely that the Bred For War bit was tracked in the Battle For The Mountain scene (or that similar music was written for that sequence), and was originally meant for the wereworms' tunnels scene, because why would Shore have put a bit from much later in the film in the track Bred For War?

To ease the transition between the music for Legolas's talk about his mother, and the music for Gandalf talking to Thranduil? (seeing how Gandalf's arrival in Dale is edited out of the OST).

Also note that the Azog tunnel scene is longer than the Descending Thirds on the OST, and pretty much all of that above clip is unreleased music.

To ease the transition between the music for Legolas's talk about his mother, and the music for Gandalf talking to Thranduil? (seeing how Gandalf's arrival in Dale is edited out of the OST).

Nah, don't buy it.

You don't have to, its free! ;)

He would have put that music from much later in the movie there just for that?

Yes, he cares about musical flow.