Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

I'll give you one additional Filmtracks post to hate, written by another Christian:

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=161425

:devil:

A great piece Christian. Glad you liked the music. ;)

Does anyone know what the bit at 3:25 of The Gathering of the Clouds scores?

I'm not sure if its been discussed, but I just noticed that it sounds like Beorn's theme. The first bit is the rising part of his theme that we hear when he turns to the camera in the DOS EE, and after it (at 3:30) we hear what sounds like a bit of the Beorn piece from the DOS piano book (the new bit that has similarities to the Aragorn heroic theme).

Yeah it sounds a bit like Beorn's theme or Aragorn material but it underscores Bard riding to parley with Thorin and the dwarves so I don't think it has any direct connection to Beorn. ;)

Does anyone know what the bit at 3:25 of The Gathering of the Clouds scores?

I'm not sure if its been discussed, but I just noticed that it sounds like Beorn's theme. The first bit is the rising part of his theme that we hear when he turns to the camera in the DOS EE, and after it (at 3:30) we hear what sounds like a bit of the Beorn piece from the DOS piano book (the new bit that has similarities to the Aragorn heroic theme).

Yeah it sounds a bit like Beorn's theme or Aragorn material but it underscores Bard riding to parley with Thorin and the dwarves so I don't think it has any direct connection to Beorn. ;)

Isn't the bit you're talking about 4:37 of the gathering of the clouds (extended)?

Hmmm I'll have to get back on this after I check this stuff more closely when I get from work. Someone here can probably fill in with their encyclopedic knowledge of score as it seems my memory fails on this particular detail.

It is still the same thematic idea though.

I checked and that moment does underscore the moment Bard parleys with Thorin. He is at that moment cautiously approaching the blocked gate over the bridge. It precedes the discussion through the hole in the wall.

So, are the "Ringwraith" chords that Doug mentioned in the Tracksounds cast used in the last few seconds of Thrain? (the music used for "No one must enter that mountain" in the EE)

Only way Misty Mountains would have been grand enough is if they gave us a full choral composition with Khuzdul lyrics. But otherwise I completely echo the above sentiments. Thorin's theme definitely should have been louder.

Doug on the amount of music "missing" from the SE's:

Between alternates, internal edits, and extended edition material, there's a *fair* amount left.

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/565576768464384000

I'd wager an hour of noteworthy material from AUJ, and about 40 minutes for DoS and BOTFA.

Don't forget hours of alternate takes and snippets of alternate takes and sweeteners etc. which all true fans would want to have in their collection.

Doug on the amount of music "missing" from the SE's:

Between alternates, internal edits, and extended edition material, there's a *fair* amount left.

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/565576768464384000

Only that it probably doesn't matter much, seeing as HS stated he's content with the state of AUJ:SE.

As I said before, this time the potential Rarities Archive should be the opposite of LotR's. Take all the re-scored material and release it. I WANT MY RECLAMATION OF NATURE (60 YEARS EARLIER BUT STILL INVOLVING EAGLES) AND THE FLIGHT TO THE CARROCK!

Yeah. And Nature is eternal Christian. It reclaims itself precisely when it means to!

I just hope the time line for Doug's next book will be shorter. I wanna read it while I still draw breath (said half-kiddingly, half-seriously)!

I assume they were a bit better prepared with the concept in mind from early on and it didn't just spring up in the middle of the process like with LotR. Doug has been doing his basic research with more thoroughness from the beginning I would imagine.

Oh, I'm in no way questioning Doug's approach/thoroughness. The complications in 2008/09 added, in all likelihood, another year to the project, and I suppose the plan to have "The Music of The Hobbit Films" was, as you point out, there from pretty much the beginning.

From RotK:TE to the book it was seven years...maybe we're looking at four this time around (I'm just throwing this number out as a guess)?

I'll buy three copies, naturally. Just like last time! :)

You have to take the CR production into consideration. As the book was in the end modelled after those presentations in the track-by-track analysis it wasn't destined to come out earlier than RotK CR. But then again it took a few years after RotK for the book to come out, 3 in fact.

As I said before, this time the potential Rarities Archive should be the opposite of LotR's.

So basically, it shouldn't be a rarities archive.

I've come to the conclusion that the book will be out before any potential CRs. Doug posted snippets of the book design, and I think Shore made it very clear that CRs aren't in the future anytime soon.

Yes it certainly looks like it. Fingers crossed they get to do a Rarities Archive for the book.

It will be interesting to see what kind of format the track-by-track analysis follows now that there are no CRs to form a basic structure for the narrative. Does it follow the Special Editions? Film version or Shore's original intention? Film version + Shore's original intention?

http://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/production/44001/the-film-music-of-howard-shore

Audiences will thrill to the music from his legendary collaboration with Peter Jackson on The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, as well as scores from films like The Aviator, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Silence of the Lambs, Hugo and many more.