Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

The full nature theme is not used, only the end part which kind of kills what makes it so good on the album!

The full nature theme is used...

The only thing edited down is the new eagles theme..

I can only hear the bit from 4:34 of To the Death and not the opening of the nature theme.

The opening of the nature theme is right after the eagles theme in the film...

Smaug's attack, the Dol Guldur scene and the Ravenhill finale were three sequences that were plagued with really bad music editing (tracked music, dialed out bits, etc) that completely killed the pace.

Apart from those three sequences, there is nothing I found to be really jarring in the way the music was edited in the film.

Smaug's attack score was brilliant. Loved all of the variations on the various Bard themes and that the music was again clearly audible in these films, and the tension and urgency of the music remained intact. Much of Smaug's material remained in the film. Couldn't see anything wrong with the pace.

Mostly, but the dropped out part when Bard sees the dragon circling is a little too obvious...

Given Doug's comments how the early version he saw back in October was edited "very differently" (referring to Smaug's attack), one can only speculate where things should actually go.

Karol

Given Doug's comments how the early version he saw back in October was edited "very differently" (referring to Smaug's attack), one can only speculate where things should actually go.

Karol

Which also means there is probably some more music for the sequence in the upcoming EE.

Karol

Which also means there is probably some more music for the sequence in the upcoming EE.
After the DOS EE, I wouldn't be surprised if the sequence stays the same. They seem to be leaving out quite a few things in these hobbit extended versions, the company entering The Woodland Realm and going through Dale. They also don't often add new shots to existing scenes like the LOTR EEs did so often.

New interview with Doug:

http://www.talltaleradio.com/episode-203-doug-adams-music-while-you-work/

Nice to know they archived all the hobbit music much better than the LOTR scores.

Neat! Thanks SUH! Well they did have a sort of working system in place for archiving the music this time around. :)

Which means it should be easier to produce further releases and concert versions!

:beerchug:

Thanks for sharing!

Speaking of which, where can I find this Conrad Pope interview that he was supposed to give some time ago?

Karol

Was he supposed to give an interview on an English radio show? Because he did one for a German speaking radio station where his quotes were interspersed between tracks from the BotFA soundtrack and had a person translating his English commentary to German on top of it.

Well Luke Evans pretty much confirmed (having spoken to PJ) that the opening sequence would be longer, including that bit where Bard almost falls off a roof. You'd think the destruction of the wind lance would be made clear as well.

I speculated before that if there is an added scene at the end where Bard is crowned King of Dale surely a grand rendition of Bard the Leader would be most appropriate. You feel that Shore introduced the theme for a particular purpose, and this kind of pay-off to Bard's story would make the most sense.

I think we were all hoping for a Dwarven suite, and when we saw it was called 'Ironfoot' and went on for over six minutes, I guess we thought that's what we were going to get.

I've been thinking about Sons of Durin. We know that parts of it are obviously in a curious order (like the music for Thorin's 'epiphany' and rallying the Dwarves near the end). Then there's the Troll/Dol Guldur army and Warg music later on we don't hear in the film, presumably for deleted parts like the chariot scene and maybe that bit mentioned in the Chronicles book where some of the company led by Bofur 'hijack' a Troll. Also, IIRC, that great version of Erebor and Thorin's theme is used twice (when they're riding off on rams and then when they reach the Ravenhill), though I could be wrong about that.

This has got me thinking about how much of it is intended to apply to the sequence of events exactly as we see it. For one, you have to think it was meant to start earlier, so that the loud 'crash' right at the start accompanies the bell bursting out of the walls. If you do this, you find that the second part of Thorin's theme just about coincides with the close-up shot of Thorin steaming in, and not Bilbo running along the battlements, which makes more sense to me. It doesn't time up perfectly, which makes me think a few shots might have been cut. The most obvious suggestion for this would revolve around the fate of the Trolls in the front ranks, most of whom die before the Dwarves even reach them. Obviously they're being hit by projectiles, but from whom? I doubt it's the charging Dwarves. I suspect it's either Elven archers or the Dwarven ballistae from the trailers. I think what exactly kills the Trolls needs to be explained in the EE, so I'm expecting some quick shots to be added, which hopefully won't cause too many problems to that wonderful moment of scoring (it shouldn't if done properly).

Another thought - that rendition of Erebor at 1:05. Do we think Shore intended to score Bard and the Laketowners charging in with that piece? Just speculating, but I'm wondering if some longer parts involving the Dwarves and the chariot were meant to be scored by this instead?

I could really do with a precise breakdown of Sons of Durin and the scoring of the scene in question, what is used and what isn't. Guess we'll just have to wait for BB to work his magic, or at least the Blu-ray/DVD release.

On a related note, I wonder if Shore ever toyed with the idea of having Khuzdul chorus over the initial version of House of Durin that begins Sons of Durin? Would have been fucking incredible combined with the choral Thorin piece, but maybe it was deemed as overkill. I'm hoping they're saving some kind of spectacular choral version of Durin for the funeral scene.

Well we do get partially choral House of Durin renditions at various points - the spine-tingling 'hummed' version in Girion, Lord of Dale; that fantastic yet all-too-brief bit where they spot the statue staircase in 'Spell of Concealment'; and finally the great beginning of 'Beyond Sorrow and Grief'. I guess I just want to hear as much male chorus over the Dwarven music as possible. I know we have the grunting in the two main martial versions of House of Durin (at the end of 'Mithril' and the start of 'Sons of Durin'), but I was thinking of something more substantial, with actual (Neo-)Khuzdul lyrics (more like that snippet in 'Spell of Concealment')