X-Men: Apocalypse (2016 film directed by Bryan Singer)

It's true, yeah. But Ultron has a benefit of service twofold purpose: establish himself as a manifestation of Stark's destructive ego (thus making him a villain) and being yet another attempt to destroy Earth by Thanos. Apocalypse just wants to destroy because... reasons.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It's true, yeah. But Ultron has a benefit of service twofold purpose: establish himself as a manifestation of Stark's destructive ego (thus making him a villain) and being yet another attempt to destroy Earth by Thanos. Apocalypse just wants to destroy because... reasons.

Karol

Huh?  Thanos had nothing to do with the events of Age of Ultron.

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh?  Thanos had nothing to do with the events of Age of Ultron.

He did. His scepter (or Mind Stone hidden in it) created Ultron. And then at the end of the film he says: I'll do it myself. Since he failed twice. It's pretty obvious.

Overanalysing what, Stefan? What points exactly are you referring to?

Karol

The infinity gems aren't his, just something he's trying to collect; Right?

And him saying he'll do it himself doesn't directly imply he had any control over anything that happened in the movie.  You're reading way too much into things!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The infinity gems aren't his, just something he's trying to collect; Right?

And him saying he'll do it himself doesn't directly imply he had any control over anything that happened in the movie.  You're reading way too much into things!

Or you're not reading enough into things!

Karol

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Overanalysing what, Stefan? What points exactly are you referring to?

Karol

Some of your comments about Civil War suggest that you found a profound message in the film about the nature of The Avengers and their role as protectors/vigilantes.

Profound message? In a Marvel film? You must be nuts. A reference, slight comment maybe. But no profound messages.

Karol

I like Marvel films because they're good products, always reliable. Like McDonalds. And they seem to be made with respect for original material. They do talk about some serious stuff sometimes (for better or worse) but they never asked to be "taken seriously". They're always fun.

Civil War was good because it's well paced, well told film that made me care about whatever might be happening on screen.

I don't dislike Apocalypse and Batman v Superman because of some external "Marvel love" factors. I grew up with all those characters (reading comics since the age of 6). They're just not very interesting and/or well told films. In other words, I was bored watching them. Didn't seem like they presented a complete and relatable world that would make any sense to me. Bryan Singer made three good X-Men films but it seems he's got nothing else to say, other than making it bigger and repeating himself. Characters have no arcs anymore. Magneto's story ends with the end of first act. After that, he's merely a plot device. Apocalypse is neither scary nor interesting. And Jennifer Lawrence is just plain bored, now just rehashing her The Hunger Games role for no reason. Enjoyable bits and pieces here and there, sure. But that won't do. It's not even that terrible, just really flat.

Karol

On 20-5-2016 at 0:40 PM, crocodile said:

In 2000 Brian Singer had to take some flack from starting a "superhero" movie in Auschwitz. There were critics who found it insensitive or tasteless.

Apparently this hasnt changed....

X-Men was a much more restrained and character-based film. It wasn't as cartoony as Apocalypse. That's why it doesn't bother me.

Karol

Look, I'm not saying the film was terrible. It was entertaining in parts. And yeah, it feels more like comic book X-Men than ever. But I'm more used to a more grounded version that Singer established with his first two films. So this one felt really overstuffed and underdeveloped. 

Karol

27 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Look, I'm not saying the film was terrible. It was entertaining in parts. And yeah, it feels more like comic book X-Men than ever. But I'm more used to a more grounded version that Singer established with his first two films. So this one felt really overstuffed and underdeveloped. 

Karol

I thought the general critique was that it's getting too repetitious? 

Well you're wrong. Civil War and Apocalypse are superior to that big pile of shit.

I will never see Batman V Superman but I enjoyed X-Men Apocalypse on each viewing. Civil War bored me to tears. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17-6-2016 at 2:44 AM, nightscape94 said:

Why do you think she caused such a stink over the billboard?

Because it sends the wrong message to a certain group of people. If we constantly see images of perfect people we start to believe that it is the norm. If we constant see images of women being harassed and ... well you know what I am getting at. In my city we have a campaign on TV (and with posters in the streets) about women-friendliness informing people that in we have a certain code of conduct towards women. 

Alex, the suffragette