The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

I can't remember specifically what he said but Daín is shouting "To the king!" as the dwarves follow him. I don't think Baruk Khazad was in there but it was all quite sweeping and I was too caught in the moment to pay attention. :P

It would have been even more sweeping, had they not drowned the music.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly?) most of the funny stuff is related to Freeman's Bilbo

Not surprisingly, since that's the chance for your nice and dry English humor, which is really the only kind of humor these movies should have had.

Agreed.

I can't remember specifically what he said but Daín is shouting "To the king!" as the dwarves follow him. I don't think Baruk Khazad was in there but it was all quite sweeping and I was too caught in the moment to pay attention. :P

It would have been even more sweeping, had they not drowned the music.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I did not find it was drowned in the showing I attended although the score had to battle the sound effects in quite a few other scenes.

The gold bell was really quite ridiculous though.

Came out of the blue yes and was more than a little silly. But ballsy. Stupid but ballsy.

So, PJ said the Morgul blade will play a big part in this movie (or something like that), does it?

No.

And I don't see how it could, unless the EE shows the witch king stabbing Gandalf.

So, PJ said the Morgul blade will play a big part in this movie (or something like that), does it?

No.

And I don't see how it could, unless the EE shows the witch king stabbing Gandalf.

To the tune of the "Psycho" flutes from DoS unused take for the Hunters track! ;)

I wonder if the scene of Elrond throwing the Morgul blade into the High Fells will be a EE scene in BOTFA, and was misinterpreted (confusing with de-aging the blade for the Men of the North flashback) as being a flashback?

They do have a lot of stuff for the EE already (partly my wishlist):

extended Smaug attack (fingers crossed)

Morgul blade

Radagast's cronies (eagles and Beorn)

Gandalf's staff

more dwarven company scenes

Bilbo takes Bombur's watch before sneaking out (I hope they films this!)

dwarven cavalry appearing

more battle scenes (more Dale, more elves and dwarves VS orcs and trolls, more Beorn)

more eagles

extended ending

Bilbo takes Bombur's watch before sneaking out (I hope they films this!)

They switched it to Bofur.

Ah naturally as Bombur is a mute. Bilbo needs to have some conversation with him.

Apparently, it mirrors his talk with him in AUJ, "I wish you all the luck in the world" in all that.

Nesbitt is a great actor and his scenes with Bilbo have been good thusfar. I am sure this will be another one. :)

It's quite apparent now that the Elrond throwing the sword in the tomb was part of the original flashback which was clearly intended to take place during The White Council in AUJ. It makes perfect sense, given the Galadriel voiceover, and Elrond being present. Possibly they'd try to give him a Glorfindel at Fornost-type role in proceedings.

It's tantalising to think how Elrond might have been involved in this flashback. Shame they didn't put it there, then have Galadriel talk about the High Fells, and then just have the scene in the first film as planned. The Beorn conversation could still have taken place with Gandalf hiding his knowledge of events.

This may have the most missing footage for EE of all 6 films.

No. ROTK had plenty of this! ;)

Nothing really felt missing when you watched the TE though!

There must be a bit more of Radagast in there too (we don't see him giving his staff to Gandalf as you said, and McCoy also mentioned fighting spiders at some point).

This was probably intended to be in AUJ as he pursues them, hence our long 'Radagast the Brown' with lengthy 'missing footage' cards required

Most of the missing footage was crap stuff, like the Drinking Game and the Corsairs!

Remember that the companion book says that they had to make a newer-looking Morgul blade for the Elrond scene, suggesting it must be a flashback.

Like I said, perhaps its confused.

I'm not convinced McCoy is all there, so I don't know how much we should read into what he says. But then we know that they filmed a lot of things relating to DG that haven't made the cut and suggest a very different version once contemplated - Gandalf battling all the Nazgul at once, Beorn hanging around DG, Gandalf and Elrond exploring the dungeons of DG.

Most of the missing footage was crap stuff, like the Drinking Game and the Corsairs!

But then you got epic stuff like the Mouth of Sauron or the Voice of Saruman!

Alvar...your mother loved you. More then life itself.

Please tell me you're not quoting BOTFA there?

WTF is that?!?

If this is love...then I don't want it! Take it from me!

Before you ask, Barny: yes, he's quoting BOFA again...

:pukeface::banghead::folder::eh::bash::microwave::sadwavey:

:crymore:

Is that Leggy-Tauriel dialogue...bah!

When did the writing for these films go to total shit?

To be honest its only a few lines that are iffy.

The sad thing is, Avangeline Lilly really acts well during that scene!

Evangeline Lily is great...but she plays a shitty useless character, with crap dialogue...

If this is love...then I don't want it! Take it from me!

Is that Leggy-Tauriel dialogue...bah!

When did the writing for these films go to total shit?

Add to that line Tauriel's "Why does it hurt so much?", to which Thranduil replies "It's real".