The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

- Bard using Bain to fire the Black Arrow.

That's such a damn shame. I'd been hoping that Bard would miss with the Black Arrow just like his ancestor but then, in an ingenious twist, would use the windlance to fire Bain at Smaug with lethal effect. It could have been such a poignant blend of triumph, grief and slapstick comedy.

What are the worst parts, for you?

- Everything revolving around Legolas (and everything about his mommy. What the fuck was that all about?) and Tauriel. The big Leggy moments here were really facepalm worthy, moreso than anything in the previous films. I was never really against Legolas being included in the Hobbit, but he's been so mishandled that now, I would have preferred them not to include him, really.

- All that talk about luv (what is this? Interstellar?). That scene between Thranduil and Tauriel... WTF?

- Some (most?) Alfrid moments.

- Some of the Ravenhill stuff.

That's all I can think of, on the top of my head, but I know there was more.

The thing is: there were many good/great bits which made me overlook some of the bad stuff (something DOS didn't achieve).

It's funny to think that a few things introduced (or developed) in DOS never paid off in BOFA:

- The Windlance. Not even mentioned once in BOFA. I first thought Smaug would destroy it, forcing Bard to use his bow, but we don't even see it.

- Legolas chasing Bolg: suddenly, Leggy is back at Laketown at the beginning of the film. We never see him looking back and seeing Smaug attacking the town: he just magically appears the next morning, as if he never chased Bolg.

- Bard and the Master Of Laketown's dissensions.

- Thranduil's family jewels: introduced in AUJ, mentioned in DOS, mentioned again in BOFA but then they completely disappear from the story (I'm thinking they may have something to do with Legolas' mother. Maybe they were made for her, and Thranduil wants them because they would remind him of her, or some bullshit like that. I'm sure the EE will develop that).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other things.

Pretty much agreed on all accounts.

That's such a damn shame. I'd been hoping that Bard would miss with the Black Arrow just like his ancestor but then, in an ingenious twist, would use the windlance to fire Bain at Smaug with lethal effect. It could have been such a poignant blend of triumph, grief and slapstick comedy.

Bard the Familyman! Family flies first!

I don't mind the Leggy moments, they are a part of the films now. The "mom" stuff was redundant but harmless.

As was the Kili/Tauriel stuff. It's completely unnecessary in the film. And not very convincing, despite the best efforts of both actors, who manager to make it cringe worthy-free.

The resolution of the Dol Guldur subplot was left for the final film and it was a mere quick footnote to get it over with rather than anything extensive. So it was not exactly fulfilling. I thought the quick cut to Gandalf after the Smaug sequence was odd. As if to remind us that he is still alive and in a predicament when we soon see him again anyway.

The Smaug attack was brief but well done. It struck straight into the heart of the thing (pun intended). Of course some more of it would have been nice but as it is, it was a good way to bring us in the middle of things and give the movie energy right off the bat.

So... What did you guys think of the way PJ concluded the Dol Guldur subplot?

The concept is fine.

The visual execution, however, I found subpar.

Do you get tired of the line "They were bred for a single/one purpose[dramatic pause]. War."? I think it was used at least three times in these films.

Twice : in TTT and in this one.

Well, that didn't really bother me, to be honest (well, at least, it's not one of my major problems with the film). The dialogue between Legolas and Tauriel right before the bats show up, on the other hand...

All this talk of Angmar and these elven personal issues was awful. Tauriel and Kili scenes milking for emotional response were also gringe worthy. Oh and that last exchange between her and Thranduil. Super awkward! It just didn't ring true.

I am glad we had Bilbo and Thorin scenes to balance those out as both Freeman and Armitage were great in their scenes individually and together. I think the way they depicted dragon-sickness was very on the nose and near hypnosis but they wanted to get their message across in a reasonably short time so it was ok.

Seriously?

I honestly found the Elven issues very involving and emotional. Not sure what that says though about the rest of the film.

It feels as if for every word Tolkien wrote, Jackson added 10 minutes of screen time and another setpiece.

So what did Thorin say as he charged out of Erebor in the film? Did he do his "To Me" line? Did we hear "Baruk Khazad" anywhere?

I can't remember specifically what he said but Daín is shouting "To the king!" as the dwarves follow him. I don't think Baruk Khazad was in there but it was all quite sweeping and I was too caught in the moment to pay attention. :P

Bah!

Guess I will just have to track in the "To me! To me Elves and Men! To me all my kinsfolk!" line from the Radio drama in that scene when I do my edit! ;)

They do not use Thorin's lines from the book here. That much I remember.

Sadly the scene does not play the way it does in the book as that would have been brilliant. But they went with these individual duel set pieces to complete the character arcs and to really individualize the conflict. The book version would have been ubdoubtedly epic.

Bah!

Guess I will just have to track in the line form the Radio drama in that scene when I do my edit! ;)

Especially when it is not in the book in the first place. ;)

I remember Thorin shouting something else in Khuzdûl in the battle but I could not hear what it was and it was subtitled (in Finnish naturally).

Bah!

Guess I will just have to track in the line form the Radio drama in that scene when I do my edit! ;)

The line is in the book..

Bah!

The line is in the book..

Not in the Hobbit though is it? ;)

"To me! To me Elves and Men! To me all my kinsfolk!" is in the book.

I read it just recently you know!

Ah I thought you meant Baruk Khazad. :P

Yes Thorin's lines are of course in the novel.

BAM! Inky does not remember a line from a Tolkien book! Shame on him! Shame on him! Woe is him!

Misunderstanding of Faleel's post was all. Nothing more.

So, how vulgar is Dain?

He says "Sod off" but that's about it. And he is really just a rowdy warrior.

So, how vulgar is Dain?

He says "Sod off" but that's about it.

And "bastards". But yeah, apart from that, he's not really vulgar. I liked him enough.

A very sophisticated fellow indeed.

SetSize200200-BuzzKillington.jpg

BAM! Inky does not remember a line from a Tolkien book! Shame on him! Shame on him! Woe is him!

"To me! To me Elves and Men! To me all my kinsfolk!" is in the book.

I read it just recently you know!

Ah I thought you meant Baruk Khazad. :P

Yes Thorin's lines are of course in the novel.

Nice try! Too late for that!

Baruk Khazad is in the book somewhere, too. Maybe not when the Dwarves charge out of Erebor, but I think it's there nonetheless.

It is from Lord of the Rings, in The Two Towers when Gimli attacks the orcs at Helm's Deep. Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu! The axes of the dwarves! The dwarves are upon you!

Surprised PJ didn't change it to "The asses of the Dwarves! The asses of the Dwarves are upon you!"

Those have already been upon the audience in AUJ Extended edition in the fountain scene. One time is enough!

Peter's irreverent humour is oft off-putting.

His idea of good natured humour stretches from food fights to naked dwarves and general rudeness and beyond.

The humor in these films range from actually kind of funny to downright disrespectful to the intelligence of Tolkien's work IMHO.

The humor in these films range from actually kind of funny to downright disrespectful to the intelligence of Tolkien's work IMHO.

Yup.

Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly?) most of the funny stuff is related to Freeman's Bilbo

Not surprisingly, since that's the chance for your nice and dry English humor, which is really the only kind of humor these movies should have had.