The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

Elijah Wood did some good dramas, and respectable films.

The others...yeah, true. But Sean Astin was the best of them! Thought he would have been offered something good!

Whatever happened to him I wonder? Sean Astin, did his career just kind drop after LotR?

Didnt that happen to all the Hobbits in the film?

Monaghan was in LOST at least.

Indeed. Theatre and drama film roles made him very respectable. But as you said, Gandalf is what made McKellen a household name.

It's official! LOTR is a career killer!!

;)

Which is more or less logical. When there are adaptions of famous characters with relatively unknown actors, and the actor really nails it, what people get stuck in their minds are not the names of the actors, but the character they are playing.

What's the deal with Azog's new blade-prosthesis anyway? Is that yet another EE scene, or did PJ simply not think about how Thorin will die, and he just decided to switch it?

Btw, did anyone notice passage of time in the film that wasn't accounted for on screen?

When Kili, Fili etc get to Erebor Bilbo tells them Thorin has not eaten for days, obsessed etc...

It looks like it was the day after Smaugs death, but apparently more time passed

Has his look actually improved from the last two films?

No. But it seems people are thinking otherwise.

Come on!

Azog looks far more detailed, especially the skin. The close-up of him breathing his last breath in 3D feels like you can touch him.

Lurtz was great!

I didn't know he was a character till the third time i saw FOTR
Bolg looks rubbish, bad design.

are you serious?

I didn't know he was a character till the third time i saw FOTR

Yeah, back in the day, when subtlety was actually something PJ could pull off...

Azog looks much better in DoS than he does in AUJ. There is no disputing this. Just compare how he looks in the EE opening flashback to the rest of the film (and for best comparison the latter flashback to the battle with Thrain). I can only imagine he looks even better in BOTFA

Thank you GK. That post was silly and Steef knows it!

If anything, it's the other way around! I never felt Azog was a menacing villain...

Really? Horrible, messy piece of design. Lacking the menace of Azog.

Azog looks like a caricature. He's often more distracting than menacing.

Bolg looks more like an ordinary orc, but his CG usually looks better (probably easier to integrate him with the real shots), and more ''believable'' than Azog.