The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

Is that Leggy-Tauriel dialogue...bah!

When did the writing for these films go to total shit?

Add to that line Tauriel's "Why does it hurt so much?", to which Thranduil replies "It's real".

ROTFLMAO

Sounds like A.I. or something...or if you want to look at by way of innuendo...

As long as you get nothing like the innuendo bit in DoS. I still think that might be the ultimate low point in PJ's Middle-Earth films...

Not only was it cringeworthy, but bloody disrespectful to Tolkien! Bah!

By the way, for anyone who cares: there's an "explanation" in BOFA as to why there's an acorn on the AUJ EE Blu-Ray cover. That felt totally random to me when I first saw the AUJ cover, but now it makes more or less sense.

Wasn't it on the Brass Buttons?

As long as you get nothing like the innuendo bit in DoS.

And AUJ!

Don't remember that.

"It's crochet"

"And what a wonderful game it is too... if you have the balls for it"

By the way, for anyone who cares: there's an "explanation" in BOFA as to why there's an acorn on the AUJ EE Blu-Ray cover. That felt totally random to me when I first saw the AUJ cover, but now it makes more or less sense.

You mean the one Bilbo picked in Beorn's garden? That has nothing remotely to do with AUJ.

As long as you get nothing like the innuendo bit in DoS.

And AUJ!

Don't remember that.

"It's crochet"

"And what a wonderful game it is too... if you have the balls for it"

Ahh yes. Luckily that one wasn't nearly as bad. Passable if you can ignore it.

The bit in DoS was just very un-Tolkien...un-English, I don't know what they were thinking exactly.

Oh fuck of!

I'm sorry, but thats such a nonsensical reason to hate these movies.

The books are the books and the films will never replace them in any way.

Ahh yes. Luckily that one wasn't as bad as the one in DoS.

It's all just very un-Tolkien...un-English, I don't know what they were thinking exactly.

"I find his conduct..Un-english"

On my second watch I really noticed a missing scene between where Percy blows the huge horn, announcing Thorin's funeral, and the next scene where Bilbo takes his leave of the Dwarfs.

The scene builds up to an epic funeral with dramatic shots of Thirin, laid to rest with the Arkenstone and Orcrist on his chest.

Oh fuck of!

Jesus Stefan. For the last time, I don't hate these films, I may dislike DoS, but I am certainly allowed the right to hate some scenes, and that's one of them.

And no one is claiming these films should be the perfect depiction of the novel, because we knew from the very beginning that they never would be!

But they chose to adapt Tolkien for the big screen, and they continue to claim that they represent the spirit Tolkien's work. LOTR maintained that. And the Hobbit does to some degree (mostly in AUJ), but a scene like that JUST doesn't belong there...in film context or book context. And there were some other low points where he gets close to that kind of unnecessary excess.

Cooped up in that room for hours, they must have thought that scene very funny...but in context of the film, it's jarring.

Glad to hear about the ending with Bilbo though. I'm banking on Freeman's delivery, and I'm sure it'll be moving stuff.

PJ's Tolkien films have always had scenes that go against Tolkien's spirit but represent the director or writers silly humor.

This is definitely something that should have been in the theatrical cut. Shame.

Without a funeral, the horn blowing scene actually doesnt make a lot of sense.

Oh fuck of!

So is anyone who disagrees with you a nonsensical individual? How crass!

Oh fuck of!

The Hobbit films have been Steef's Interstellar for quite sometime now ;)

That would be a fun thing to do though right? Isnt that what they do in the Alps?

Maybe it wasnt a funeral announcement at all, but an old Dale custom of massive-horn-blowing-and-staring-competition that has been reinstated?

On my second watch I really noticed a missing scene between where Percy blows the huge horn, announcing Thorin's funeral, and the next scene where Bilbo takes his leave of the Dwarfs.

The scene builds up to an epic funeral with dramatic shots of Thirin, laid to rest with the Arkenstone and Orcrist on his chest.

That's too Tolkien man, that's sooo 2003.

Better to show some of Legolas' family woes, so that the audience can relate to him better, as the main character in the film.

Oh fuck of!

Jesus Stefan. For the last time, I don't hate these films, I may dislike DoS, but I am certainly allowed the right to hate some scenes, and that's one of them.

And no one is claiming these films should be the perfect depiction of the novel, because we knew from the very beginning that they never would be!

But they chose to adapt Tolkien for the big screen, and they continue to claim that they represent the spirit Tolkien's work. LOTR maintained that. And the Hobbit does to some degree (mostly in AUJ), but a scene like that JUST doesn't belong there...in film context or book context. And there were some other low points where he gets close to that kind of unnecessary excess.

Cooped up in that room for hours, they must have thought that scene very funny...but in context of the film, it's jarring.

Glad to hear about the ending with Bilbo though. I'm banking on Freeman's delivery, and I'm sure it'll be moving stuff.

Ignore Stefan, KK. He's obviously in a fanboy delirium and can't recognize how shitty some of the writing in these films has been.

When it comes to bad writing, really the ill-conceived romance between Dwarf and Elf and the totally redundant Legolas' mum stuff really are the only real offenders. The rest ranges from decent to at times quite excellent.

Yeah. I wonder who won?

Bombur had quite a big horn too, but his was curved. Maybe this was the old tradition. The man of Dale would stand on their city walls and blow their massive fucking horn. The dwarves of the mountain would reply.

Depends on how you define decent. There is definitely a good amount of crap in there.

And maybe 6 films have just been too much for Middle-Earth. Because a lot of the lines sound like they're just aping LotR lines, with very little variation. I used to think those were intentional references and that annoyed me, but I don't think they are. I think they're just trying to play by their pre-established rules of "How to Write for Middle-Earth" that they figured out in LotR. The problem is, so much of it sounds too familiar.

Of course, you have a couple of great lines here and there...but all in all, you can't get rid of that nagging feeling that you've heard all of this before.

The irony in that statement is so delightful, I cant even begin to tell you...

You're not very bright, are you?

EDIT: Nope, I guess not....

I don't know, I think the Tauriel/Kili dialogue and Legolas' conversation about his mother are pretty bad. Convenient of you to overlook them.

I just singled them out as being pretty bad. So I'm clearly not ignoring them

Depends on how you define decent. There is definitely a good amount of crap in there.

And maybe 6 films have just been too much for Middle-Earth. Because a lot of the lines sound like they're just aping LotR lines, with very little variation. I used to think those were intentional references and that annoyed me, but I don't think they are. I think they're just trying to play by their pre-established rules of "How to Write for Middle-Earth" that they figured out in LotR. The problem is, so much of it sounds too familiar.

Of course, you have a couple of great lines here and there...but all in all, you can't get rid of that nagging feeling that you've heard all of this before.

True. Thats the problem I guess of making 6 films with the exact same writers and director/writer.

I don't know, I think the Tauriel/Kili dialogue and Legolas' conversation about his mother are pretty bad. Convenient of you to overlook them.

True. Thats the problem I guess of making 6 films with the exact same writers and director/writer.

And Del Toro!

And Del Toro!

Yes, Del Toro is clearly to blame for how this turned out!

I'm pretty sure most of the project was reconstructed from ground up after he left. PJ isn't exactly going to work with the creative leftovers with someone who just left...

But Del Toro invested a lot in the project, so naturally he needs his credit.

Del Toro was credited for all three films yes, but i really dont see any evidence of his involvement in the finished product. I wonder it it was more a courtesy towards him then anything else.

Humor is also not one of your strong points?

Steef seems to be taking everything quite literally these today...must be on his medication!

A joke...is a story with a humerous climax.

How about the Troll with chains in his eyes?

One of Leggy's rides in this film, LOL

But Del Toro invested a lot in the project, so naturally he needs his credit.

It would have been better for his career if he had stuck around a bit longer!

Indeed. I mean what the hell is even doing now?

He ditched a billion dollar franchise for Pacific Rim and an animated movie!