Mad Max: Fury Road - Academy Awards 2016 Best Picture Nominee (BIGGEST OSCAR SNUB EVER!!)

BloodBoal

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cinema had way too loud sound for this.

Anyways... this films feels really odd. Like they stole 150 million from Hollywood to make some crazy indie chase flick.

The film is too good at delivering exposition so naturally it feels like they ran out of plot. There is random content to it, it's just mostly told visually...

I was, oddly enough, slightly less impressed by the action than I hoped, and slightly more impressed by the non-action than I hoped. Like the film was more emotional than expected, using simple building blocks.

Some of the freakery in the film is somewhat outside my taste and some I like.

Moments I really liked:

-The sequence with the pregnant wife acting as a shield, then Max doing that thumbs up, then the sudden death and "they ran her over", it was brilliant.

-Max trying to get water and the chains off and the fight that ensues.

-The whole thing with Nux reaching the ring and then being thrown out and then reaching the rig again :lol:

-Nux's friends, Larry and Barry

-The reveal of the sandstorm. The reveal of it being seemingly caused by tornadoes. Because.

-The group going over the green area they were trying to reach that no longer exists.

-Old women. In a film like this. This generally doesn't happen.

-Max on the poles. The shot with Max on the pole with everything exploding (I lost track of why was everything exploding at that point).

-Nux tryng to make his car explode with Max tied to it.

-Nux making the rig flip over in really cool slow mo.

-Max finding all sorts of guns hidden everywhere.

-The reveal of the silly firebreathing guitar.

-That Max comes back and does something and comes back again with ammo. And a boot. And a steering wheel. And other people's blood on him.

-"That thing" "He means the tree"

-Furiosa's mechanical arm.

-The sequence with the pregnant wife acting as a shield, then Max doing that thumbs up, then the sudden death and "they ran her over", it was brilliant.

The first and possibly only time Max cracks a smile in the film and its followed by a death.

-Old women. In a film like this. This generally doesn't happen.

I didnt even notice initially. But it was rather brilliant.

Like the film was more emotional than expected, using simple building blocks.

After over an hour of chase scenes and minimal character building I was rather astonished that when this shot finally came, I was moved to tears by it. Even though I had seen it in the trailers before.

mad-max-fury-road-screenshot-charlize-th

Fury Road will never be accused of being a work of complex characters and motivations, but what is supply on that front is does supply very very well.

-The reveal of the silly firebreathing guitar.

Yes!

I want one for my birthday!

The ode to the bulging eyeballs from the first movie was great!

The one thing I think the film missed out on was an opportunity for Max to overtake his car, get it back, and wreak some more havoc during the final chase scene.

The ode to the bulging eyeballs from the first movie was great!

The one thing I think the film missed out on was an opportunity for Max to overtake his car, get it back, and reek some more havoc during the final chase scene.

Those are good points.

Just got back from a WS Dolby Atmos showing at ArcLight. Completely disagree with Steef and BloodBoal on this one, the sound was too much. I got a literal headache, which is saying something because I'm usually the one who thinks it isn't loud enough.

Another disagreement with Steef and BloodBoal, the teal and orange ruined it. There are literally no other colors in the film. Day time? Orange. Night time? Teal. It sucked away any visual breath the film had. The wasteland is one of the characters in the Mad Max films, and moving it out of the outback and into this comic book world was a big detriment, in my opinion. That's my only real complaint, loved everything else, but I'm with Tim in that I thought Max was gonna commandeer his car and wreck some havoc at the end.

They're making 3 more of these? No thanks.

Aaaand we have a winner, Alvar!

Didn't think that would be him. But again, we should have seen it coming...

Just got back from a WS Dolby Atmos showing at ArcLight. Completely disagree with Steef and BloodBoal on this one, the sound was too much. I got a literal headache, which is saying something because I'm usually the one who thinks it isn't loud enough.

Another disagreement with Steef and BloodBoal, the teal and orange ruined it. There are literally no other colors in the film. Day time? Orange. Night time? Teal. It sucked away any visual breath the film had. The wasteland is one of the characters in the Mad Max films, and moving it out of the outback and into this comic book world was a big detriment, in my opinion. That's my only real complaint, loved everything else, but I'm with Tim in that I thought Max was gonna commandeer his car and wreck some havoc at the end.

You just went to the wrong theater, dude! Dolby Atmos? That's a no-go!

Go to a normal theater next time!

This is a concept that Zack Snyder would do (worse), but at the same time it's emotionally immersive, so it feels like the complete opposite of a Snyder film.

I was much more bothered by the colours in the trailer than in the film.

There were some stills of this movie with the washed out aesthetic, and it did look less interesting.

Maybe they just saw the orangeness of the landscape and decided to play it up.

And Miller does seem to be into the idea of making something slightly different. He says in a video that he never expected to make more than one Mad Max, and that he wasn't trying to be coherent with this. Then there's the likely "but I already did it that way" factor...

They did, especially in the art work for the film.

My ex was from Namibia and Ive seen holiday pics of those deserts and the contrast between the orange sand and the blue sky in the film is pretty realistic to the real location.

They did go for a severe blu teint for the night scenes.

What a bunch of weaklings you Dutch are! I saw The Return of the King: EE in a theater and there was no intermission and its over twice as long!

What a bunch of weaklings you Dutch are! I saw The Return of the King: EE in a theater and there was no intermission and its over twice as long!

Most chains doint have any intermission at all here. This one sadly does.

And FUCK YOU LEBLANC!

;)

I remember an intermission for no reason in Revenge of the Sith.

I barely remember Revenge Of The Sith

Mad Max 4? I have never seen it (or any other Mad Max films), nor do I understand what I said that would make you think I did?

"We are not to blame!

"Then who killed the world?"

2 lines of simple, no nonsense dioalogue that helps underpin the motiovations of the characters.

The second view actually deepens the experience because needs to put less effort in keeping up with the relentless pace and the characters and interesting background details are now more obvious.

The most throughout developed character in the film is Nux. The Warboy, a class of warrior dying from (presumably) the still on going effects of the nuclear holocaust, radiation, poor genetics etc.

As part of a warrior class it's his aim to die in glorious battle, rather then to fade away from illness caused by the tumors that grow on his shoulder (which he named Larry and Barry and has drawn faces oin to give them a personality)

The script and Nicholas Hoult turn what could have been a very annoying character into one who prepares to sacrifice himself to reclaim the properly of his God, and fails...

Everything designed around the War Boys fanatical religion, prayers to the God of V8, straying chrome point on one's mouth before attempting to die, the desire to be witnessed going into a glorious death to be carried off into Valhalla really works incredibly well. Their theology is ridiculous, but it's probably been the one they have been indoctrinated with for years, and it's the only hope they have.

I found myself caring deeply for Nux, how he tries to impress Immortan Joe, how he feels responsible for the death of one of the wives (it was his blood bag who was driving the rig afterall) and how he finally get's his moment of sacrifice.

In a film that has so very little dialogue or in depth character development to achieve this is really something.

Holkenborg's epic string theme is actually the theme for Nux and his attempts to enter Valhalla, appearing 3 times in the score. First during the sandstorm, again when Immortan Joe charges him to kill Furiosa, and finally again when he truly enters into glorious Valhalla.

So it is more the "just" an action film after all. It's a film where every single character acts out of desperation, and the NEED for survival. Alliances are forged because of this.

There isnt one single moment where Max and Furiosa become allies, but the transition is completely natural. They need each other. Just like the 5 brides needed Furiosa to escape. (really noticed the detail of how Immortan Joe held his brides in a huge bank vault)

Chaac mentioned the novelty of seeing old people in a film like this. I did indeed enjoy the disparity between these old women when they finally met the brides. The last remaining "free" women of their tribe and 5 young "brides" who have probably spend much of their lives in seclusion. Again, with broad strokes Miller gets a hell of a lot done. (also love the short scene with the satellite flying overhead, and the idea that in the old days there used to be "shows".

Tom Hardy really emerges in the second half of the film. Starting as a character with a rather pompous monologue, hung as a bloodbag being little more then a spectator, slowly Max begins to take form. Apparently a different character then the one Mel Gibson played. This time one wracked by guilt. Hardly finds odd mannerisms and an unusual speech pattern (Max probably doesnt talk much).

Theron nails her character. Female action hero's are usually women in cats suits with perfect hour glass figures doing martial arts back flips. We learn little of Furiosa's background but know it must have been one with loads of pain. She kicks ass in the fight scene where Max and Nux are tied together. (the only sustained fight scene that doesnt take place on a moving verhicle?) Theron's quiet authority as a character who's essentially also acts out of pure desperation is utterly effective. This isnt the sort of role that gets an acting nomination, but it's the sort of role thats remembered years later. Ala Ripley or Sarah Conner.

Immortan Joe is a really repulsive villain. We see him dressed up in the beginning, covered in sores, wearing a freaky mask and unable to breath of his own. A hideously grotesque monster and I can kinda see why the brides wanted to get away from that.

https://youtu.be/n-Xe-NWbItU