Mad Max: Fury Road - Academy Awards 2016 Best Picture Nominee (BIGGEST OSCAR SNUB EVER!!)

BloodBoal

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else like the slow-mo CGI shot that closes the final chase before the fade to black? It's like Miller is going "yeah, I know that has been cool, thank you, thank you..."

Anyone else like the slow-mo CGI shot that closes the final chase before the fade to black? It's like Miller is going "yeah, I know that has been cool, thank you, thank you..."

Love that bit! A tongue-in-cheek jab at just how ridiculously over-the-top the whole ride was. And you can never have enough screen time for the guitar!

When the sandstorm was revealed people in my theather were already freaking out a bit with the movie, and "oooh"s and "aaah"s were heard.

It's seriously a beautiful sequence. Mouth agape type of visuals.

I listened to the score today and I can see where KK's dissatisfaction and surprise comes from.

On a musical level the score doesn't really bring anything startlingly original to the table. It really feels a bit old school in that its the kind of action scoring that was big a few years ago. The type Zimmer doesn't even wanna do anymore.

Its very basic in its construction. Furious rhythm based music for the action, sombre "addagio" type music for the drama and a theme associated with Nux that sounds like a stripped down, simplified version of a Trevor Rabin/Klaus Badelt theme for a mediocre Bruckheimer/Tony Scott film of circa 2000.

If Zimmer/Badelt/Powell/HGW etc would be asked to compose such a work today the result would be dull and lackluster because they would be bored doing it.

Holkenborg, however, has put of lot of effort into it. It's by no means a significant, original or meaningful work.

But its not a score done on autopilot. And that actually makes it more enjoyable then it possibly has any right to be.

JunkieXL cared.

I think the part with the spikey cars and trucks maybe slowed down things a bit because they don't advance the story. It has cool car fu slow mo shots, though.

The waterfall is an excellent way of wasting water, but I like the emotion in these scenes.

This film is very to the point. We don't even meet the wives before they're on the run. We get a lot of sudden information in the short scene ith the armored vault, the piano, some books, stuff written in the walls, and that they're no longer there.

Yes, beyond the action, the sheer economy of the film really stood out to me. Surprisingly detailed and nuanced world-building and exposition that were all laid out in single lines or shots. Like what happened to The Green Place for example.

From now on, everytime someone will come up with the shitty "You didn't like that film because your expectations were just too fucking high!" argument for any new film, I'll remind him/her of Fury Road, the film that managed to surpass high expectations!

Really? After listening or reading all these great review I went to see the film. I ended up seeing it in 3D. I didn't go to see it in 3D but they were having technical issues so we saw it in 3d. I was expecting a remarkable film. I saw a film that is remarkable shot. It is almost wall to wall action. But there is very little story. Its very fast paced and way over the top figuratively and literally. I liked it but I don't want to see it again. Charlize is very very good and as Stefan points out it is her film. MAX is just along for the ride. I'd give it a B. 3 out of 4.

The best part was when they told us we could watch it in 3D they were also throwing in a pair of free tickets. Hello Tomorrowland.

It's interesting that we aren't seeing the typical polarization here like with other big movies.

It is really not a big movie. It's a minor film in realitive terms.

We're seeing Tomorrowland right now, dunno if/when I'll get to see Max in the theater. Maybe Monday matinee.

We're seeing Tomorrowland right now, dunno if/when I'll get to see Max in the theater. Maybe Monday matinee.

You're posting JWfan to tell us that you are watching a movie???!!! Stop it this instant, and watch the movie!!!

Ps what's it like?

Yea, taking my fiancée out to a movie she wanted to see is really a faceplate moment :rolleyes:

Black and white? Why?

And I wanted to see Tomorrowland more than Mad Max dummies