Mad Max: Fury Road - Academy Awards 2016 Best Picture Nominee (BIGGEST OSCAR SNUB EVER!!)

BloodBoal

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one highlight for me that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere - the scene where Max/Nux and a War Boy take gulps of gasoline and blow it into the engine intake on the hood to give the vehicles a speed boost. As fun as it is crazy.

There's one highlight for me that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere - the scene where Max/Nux and a War Boy take gulps of gasoline and blow it into the engine intake on the hood to give the vehicles a speed boost. As fun as it is crazy.

The whole film is a highlight for me, so that's why I didn't mention that particular bit.

So what was the deal with the chrome stuff they sprayed in mouths sometimes?

It appears to be an allusion to the term "chromed" which is an Aussie slang term for being high, using drugs etc.

The Warboys seem obsessed with anything hot rod and car related, as part of their religion. Which which allow them to reach Valhalla if they sacrifice themselves in spectacular fashion for the glory of Immortan Joe.

Chroming their mouths seems to be like a last rite thing?

Yea, I got that they did it if they thought they were about to go to Valhalla, but wasn't sure if it also had some secondary purpose. I guess it was just for the looks, then

From IMDB

"To prepare themselves to go into battle and/or to sacrifice their lives for Immortan Joe, the War Boys spray their lips and teeth with a silver spray-paint-like substance. In the movie, both the War Boys and Joe often make reference to this as though it is a religious ritual, saying that it will allow them to "arrive at the gates of Valhalla shiny and chrome." However, in a May 2015 CraveOnline interview with Hugh Keays-Byrne (the actor who plays Joe), he clarified that this practice, which the War Boys think is purely ritualistic, is actually "a very euphoric drug" that keeps the War Boys high and suicidally devoted to Joe's cause. Another clue to the spray's narcotic properties is the fact that "chrome" and "chroming" are real-life Australian slang terms for inhalant abuse. Writer/director George Miller said that he got the idea for the War Boys spraying themselves from David Bradbury's documentary Front Lie, in which Cambodian soldiers preparing for battle suspend small figurines of Buddha from their mouths."

One thing I liked about this film was that the opening only tells you that Hardy/Max and Theron/Furiosa are the stars. I truly had no idea that Nux would be an important character (it took me a long time to recognize that that was Nicholas Hoult) - I assumed he was just a minor character that died after the first chase; Just an obstacle keeping Max from getting his mask and chain off. When he came back, then kept ending up on the rig, I realized who the actor was and that he was essentially the third main character. I like when movies do things I don't expect.

The moments he shared with the red headed wife were nice.

I actually wish he had lived instead of having to die

Nux is my fav character. And the one with the most developed arc.

Warboys are boys who are slowly dying, which is why Joe refers to them as "half life" (i clever reference to the term radioactive half-life)

Eventually the tumors on his shoulder (Larry and Barry) would have killed him slowly and painfully.

To die in glorious battle and thus enter Valhalla is all he had to hope for.

In this world where almost every commodity is hard to obtain, how did they have enough sharp steel to constantly shave the heads of all those pale boys at the citadel?

Hard to say.

But their bald heards, whitened pigmented skin and body art obviously are meant to denote a certain status. As if they are valued by the God-like Inmortan Joe.

In the same way that Joe essentially wastes water by pouring it down in his subjects rather then rationing it out carefully.

Jeez - I just looked up the actor, and he is 68 years old and was the villain in the original Mad Max film! Crazy!

I have actually seriously considered it.

But thats a PM to Jason I wasn't yet willing to make. Half of the time he probably thinks i'm mad anyway.

" Hi Jason, can you change my name to Stiffus Erectus? And no, i'm not a 14 year old kid!"

One thing that I thought the movie did go overboard with was that one scene in the night, right after Furiosa shoots out the light with the sniper and the People Eater goes blind and berserk firing two machine guns blindfolded with the moonlight right above him. It felt straight out of a Robert Rodriguez B-movie, too unabashedly so that it took me out of the film momentarily.

Agreed, its more worthwhile to see 4 different films on the big screen than one film 4 times

I don't know where Koray got that number either. I paid $8.50 to see Mad Max 4 yesterday.

Since virtually we only have 3D showings available here. A ticket costs about $13.

I don't know where Koray got that number either. I pay $8.50 to see Mad Max 4 yesterday.

Hyperbole. Didn't Karol see Interstellar like 8 times though?

I bet Koray orders loads of popcorn and soft drinks.

I don't eat or drink anything when I watch a movie.

I got popcorn when I went. I ordered a small, and I swear the size of it is what I'd consider large. Way too much for one person.