Discussion about "Remembrances" from Schindler's List

Schindler's List

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is definitely the superior of the Schindler's List themes and probably one of John Williams' most underrated creations ever.

Karol

This beautiful theme gets eclipsed by the main theme most of the time but it is indeed on par if not better than the main theme. The arrangement for the concert suite with extended coda is my favourite version of it as it functions as the finale of the piece. E.g. Williams's Treesong album with Boston Symphony Orchestra (Gil Shaham performing the solos) and Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams with an arrangement for oboe and chamber ensemble contain this extended version which is absolutely gorgeous and the coda really does justice to the theme and gives it s a far more complex and satisfying ending than the version heard on the original soundtrack album, even wedding quotes of the main theme into the fabric of the piece.

By the way this was the theme which one of our top film historians chose to highlight in the programme and narration of a John Williams concert done here in Finland few years ago, not the main theme, so it is not entirely forgotten or unappreciated.

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is definitely the superior of the Schindler's List themes and probably one of John Williams' most underrated creations ever.

Karol

I hadn't thought too much about it before, but I think you're right. I wonder if there's some nice strings arrangements of the piece on YouTube. 

I'd generally always just thought of 'Rememberences' as being the bridge section within the main theme. But there's more to it than that. 

Beautiful playing btw OP, thanks for sharing. 

Remembrances is quite a beautiful piece...

Regarding the ending, after a little bit of improvisation I came up with this:

luRk2qm.png

Measure 3 has an alternate option...I'm not sure which one works better.

This is what it sounds like:

Without ossia

With ossia

Is this the kind of thing you're trying to get at?

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I'd generally always just thought of 'Rememberences' as being the bridge section within the main theme. But there's more to it than that. 

Isnt that a completely different melody?

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt that a completely different melody?

'Tis.

@loert423 Thank you soo much for your effort! Do you agree that the ending is too short and simple? I am missing complex notes that put more drama and emotion.

I listened to your rendition  and it is beautiful (made me cry) and pretty close but I am still missing more darkness, more drama. At the end I need more minor and low keys. Are you Dutch by the way? What ending we suggest, we certainly need John's blessing and approvement.

This is another ending: 

3 hours ago, Schindler's List said:

@loert423 Thank you soo much for your effort! Do you agree that the ending is too short and simple? I am missing complex notes that put more drama and emotion.

I listened to your rendition  and it is beautiful (made me cry) and pretty close but I am still missing more darkness, more drama. At the end I need more minor and low keys.

Even darker? What about:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18637418/schindlerendingdarker.mp3

I think the original ending is passable but one would need to slow down a lot to avoid making it sound so sudden. I think adding an Ebmaj7 in there might help a bit, but whether or not it makes musical sense...I dunno. :P

3 hours ago, Schindler's List said:

Are you Dutch by the way? What ending we suggest, we certainly need John's blessing and approvement.

Nope, Polish. And yes, we definitely need his blessing!

On 21/01/2016 at 4:47 AM, crocodile said:

Karol

I disagree.

It's a great and memorable little theme, but it's not superior to the main theme. Not even close. 

In my opinion, of course. ;)