BloodBoal

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wont be satisfied until i have the film version of Ugluk's Warrior's, and the theatrical version of The Land of Shadow

I concur with the representative from Hoorn.

As do I. It is a wise tthing to do. :D

Seriously, the three CR sets + Doug's book are all I'll ever need.

Add the three original OST's and even the 2CD Silva Screen re-recording.

Karol

It's an 'okay' re-recording, with the usual lack of subtleties, dodgy soloists and completely off tempos. But the recording is quite smooth and is worth at least a listen to seen if it works for you.

It also has orchestral versions of Gollum's Song and May it Be, on violin and woodwind respectively which are actually pretty good.

i wont be satisfied until i have the film version of Ugluk's Warrior's, and the theatrical version of The Land of Shadow

Didn't know either of them were different.

Apart from the tracked version of A Far green Country (I got attached to the choir-only film version), there's nothing at all that I want that's not available in some form, sfx-free, from a DVD menu or VG. I did a DVD rip of that cue, but decided to delete it to keep my set absolutely clean. I'll only keep stuff like that if it's a vital cue.

Honestly, and I don't mean to offend anyone, when you have (for three films) 10 discs of pure score, comprising extended cuts and never-used cues, plus 3 OSTs with several alternates, plus 60+ minutes of alternates, theatrical versions and sketches, plus a hardcover book of several hundred pages, scrutinising all these 12+ hours of music and providing score excerpts, plus 3 DVDs with a full 5.1 mix ... when you have all of that, and you're still not pleased, there is nothing that will ever satisfy you, except for a master key to the master tape vaults.

You're absolutely right that in an officially released sense, no score has ever received this much attention and I'm very thankful. Imagine if these scores had been recorded in L.A. We'd be as fucked as we are with JW's scores (i.e. no one would pay the dough to release 10 hours of music with choir).

But..... loads of recording sessions leak these days and we're an obsessive bunch. I think if we were talking about Star Wars the shoe would be on the other foot for some.

I dunno...it's just so easy to do a single perfect release and be done with it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - release a physical OST with all the customary omissions and edits and resequencing and whatnot, and then offer a download (with a lossless option) of the complete recording sessions (i.e. one take of every single cue that was recorded, including alternates and inserts and overdubs) for $5-10 more, depending on the amount and quality of music. Demos and whatnot can be included as bonus tracks if desired. The label still gets to manufacture however many physical items they think they can sell, plus they make additional profit (with very little risk) if anyone decides they want to download the recording sessions. Everyone wins.

I don't have any LOTR music except the first two OSTs*, so I'm not in a position to offer an informed opinion on the multitude of releases, but I will say that I don't see how anyone could have been unhappy with the type of presentation I'm talking about.

* I'll probably buy the FOTR CR at some point. It's on my radar, but there are other cheaper releases that are higher priorities for me.

Didn't know either of them were different.

well in the film Ugluk's Warrior's is Choir-less and The Land of Shadow starts with an alternate section of "Aragorn Goes to Mordor" A.K.A. The Last Debate then goes into a version of The Evil of The Ring

You guys honestly want the recording sessions of all three LOTR films?

That would be a 300 parts Rapidshare release.

Cool! More music to listen to. Actually, I don't want the recording sessions of all three films, but I think it'd be nice for them to be available for those who do. I think there are two valid ways to approach a soundtrack release: create a great listening experience, or appeal to completionists. Trying to split the difference would make a release mediocre in either category...might as well just do both, with the less risky (and less expensive) of the two being a physical product and the other being an optional download.

Again, though, this is just a general comment. I just own the first two OSTs, as far as this trilogy goes.

I dunno...it's just so easy to do a single perfect release and be done with it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - release a physical OST with all the customary omissions and edits and resequencing and whatnot, and then offer a download (with a lossless option) of the complete recording sessions (i.e. one take of every single cue that was recorded, including alternates and inserts and overdubs) for $5-10 more, depending on the amount and quality of music. Demos and whatnot can be included as bonus tracks if desired. The label still gets to manufacture however many physical items they think they can sell, plus they make additional profit (with very little risk) if anyone decides they want to download the recording sessions. Everyone wins.

Sounds like licensing hell.

i assume you dont care for the music of the trilogy?

I have respect for the creativity that went into it, and I really like some of what Shore did (especially in FOTR), but other elements just rub me the wrong way. Not sure how to describe it.

As for the licensing, Marian, it seems to me like it shouldn't be much more difficult than a conventional "complete" soundtrack release. It'd be more music, but not THAT much more. Then again, I'm far from an expert on these matters, so I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm dragging this thread off topic for no reason, so just ignore me, haha.

well in the film Ugluk's Warrior's is Choir-less and The Land of Shadow starts with an alternate section of "Aragorn Goes to Mordor" A.K.A. The Last Debate then goes into a version of The Evil of The Ring

That's what I want, the triumphant rendition of the Gondor theme after the last debate.

As for the licensing, Marian, it seems to me like it shouldn't be much more difficult than a conventional "complete" soundtrack release. It'd be more music, but not THAT much more. Then again, I'm far from an expert on these matters, so I could be wrong.

Complete recording sessions? I'd imagine that'd be at least three times what we have right now, possibly much more.

i think most people think , when speaking of LOTR complete scores, the uncut finished mix of the EE, plus all the Theatrical versions (if they are a different recording even if the differences is minor, just to be able to re-create a complete threatical score) and the notable alternates, like some of the ones in the rarities.

no need to haved the 5+ recordings and rehearshals for each cue in raw format which is the material doug had to work with.

Complete recording sessions? I'd imagine that'd be at least three times what we have right now, possibly much more.

I didn't mean complete in the sense that it includes every second recorded - just one complete take (or several takes combined into one, as is often the case) of each cue. I'm pretty sure I clarified that already. :) Again, I'm far from a LOTR expert, but with those criteria, I find it hard to imagine that there's twice as much unreleased material as released material.

No company on earth could possibly justify such a release. In the end, I'm pretty sure Howard Shore himself would put a stop to the project because he's quite picky about his music.